Apple Pay settings menu, reference to iPad with Touch ID discovered in iOS 8.1 beta

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
As some expected, Apple's latest iOS 8.1 beta build contains assets for the upcoming Apple Pay mobile payments service, including hidden settings menus and references to an iPad with Touch ID fingerprint recognition.

Hamza Sood via Twitter

Developer Hamza Sood uncovered the Apple Pay settings menu pane in the latest iOS 8.1 beta shortly after the upcoming maintenance update was released on Monday.

As seen in the screenshot above, Apple Pay will be managed through the Passbook settings menu in iOS 8. Along with adding and removing credit card information, the settings pane reveals Apple will also store default transaction details like a go-to credit card, billing address, shipping address, email and other data normally requested by retailers.

In addition to the Apple Pay findings, Sood discovered a string of code that references Touch ID-enabled iPads, a device enhancement long-rumored to be coming to Apple's tablet lineup. The string reads, "Pay with iPad using Touch ID. With Apple Pay, you no longer need to type card numbers and shipping information."

The developer later clarified that the iPad Apple Pay reference is in regard to the payment system's online functionality, not necessarily the NFC-enabled embodiment lying dormant in the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

Apple Pay is slated to roll out in October as Apple's first foray into the digital wallet sector. A touchless solution based on NFC technology, Apple Pay uses Touch ID authentication, secure enclave storage and tokenized payment methods to interface with point-of-sale terminals at select retail outlets. At launch, some 220,000 locations will accept Apple's new payment system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I'm just hoping the difference between the Air and Air 2 isnt as significant as the difference between the iPad and iPad 2. But I'm afraid it might be.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Upgrade at your own risk. 8.1 disabled or otherwise caused the radios on my iPhone 6 to malfunction. Not a serious issue although I did downgrade; just an inconvenience.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I'm just hoping the difference between the Air and Air 2 isnt as significant as the difference between the iPad and iPad 2. But I'm afraid it might be.

Yeah, and the rest of us welcome progress. I don't understand wanting Apple to hold back simply because you own a previous product. I hope the Air 2 is the best it can possibly be, and I own the Air. Why would you "fear" that?

• Reply 4 of 20
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yeah, and the rest of us welcome progress. I don't understand wanting Apple to hold back simply because you own a previous product. I hope the Air 2 is the best it can possibly be, and I own the Air. Why would you "fear" that?

Because I'm not upgrading my iPad until 2016.

TouchID I can handle. An A8 I can handle. A new, thinner design with curved glass, and the display laminated to the glass...well, it'll be sad to see the Air so outclassed in one year.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

TouchID I can handle. An A8 I can handle. A new, thinner design with curved glass, and the display laminated to the glass...well, it'll be sad to see the Air so outclassed in one year.

Yes. Clearly what Apple should do here is to stop all innovation and progress, let's not make the next iPad too good!, because one user named TheWhiteFalcon on an Apple related forum isn't going to upgrade until 2016.

Get out of town!

I hope that the next iPad is so damn good that it will make you turn red from envy when you see it!

• Reply 6 of 20
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Why would you even hope for that? If anything Apple has been too slow to make the sort of dramatic improvements that iPad needs. Contrary to your position I'm really hoping that the AIR 2 update is dramatically improved over the current iPad. The whole reason I'm still on an iPad 3 is that I don't want piss away hard earned money on an iPad that doesn't have enough RAM nor flash at the price point I'm willing to pay for.
  • Reply 7 of 20

Brilliant,  I just wish the ApplePay "in regard to the payment system's online functionality" had come to 5s too.

• Reply 8 of 20
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    So!

What type of person get worked up over useless design treatments to an iPad. IPad is effectively a piece of glass thatis touch sensitive, as such there isn't much design wise that makes a big difference.

Your selfishness here is unmatched by any recent post to AI. We need better performance, all around from Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Why would you even hope for that? If anything Apple has been too slow to make the sort of dramatic improvements that iPad needs. Contrary to your position I'm really hoping that the AIR 2 update is dramatically improved over the current iPad. The whole reason I'm still on an iPad 3 is that I don't want piss away hard earned money on an iPad that doesn't have enough RAM nor flash at the price point I'm willing to pay for.

As much as I hope the Air 2 gets 2GB of RAM, I'll believe it when I see, especially if it gets the A8 in the iPhone 6.

• Reply 10 of 20
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

I emailed Tim Cook about your concern.

I actually got a reply!!

He said he's holding back all future iPad Air refreshes until 2016 for you.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    canukstorm wrote: »

As much as I hope the Air 2 gets 2GB of RAM, I'll believe it when I see, especially if it gets the A8 in the iPhone 6.

Genuine question, and not an aggressive attack on your post: Why do you want 2 GB of RAM?
  • Reply 12 of 20

Given that this means 8.1 will be out in October, whoever was whining about version numbers going too fast seems to be getting their wish. Looks like we’ll be getting 8.2 and perhaps 8.3 before iOS 9.

• Reply 13 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,165member
    gtr wrote: »
    canukstorm wrote: »

Genuine question, and not an aggressive attack on your post: Why do you want 2 GB of RAM?

I believe it is because he wants eleventy hundred tabs open all at once in safari.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Yes. Clearly what Apple should do here is to stop all innovation and progress, let's not make the next iPad too good!, because one user named TheWhiteFalcon on an Apple related forum isn't going to upgrade until 2016.

Get out of town!

I hope that the next iPad is so damn good that it will make you turn red from envy when you see it!

Actually, I'd be irritated because we should have gotten the display laminated to the glass a long time ago.
    wizard69 wrote: »

iOS 8 fixed the Safari refresh issues. Given that every other iDevice has 1GB still, unless you have a really specific need I think you would be fine.
    So!
    What type of person get worked up over useless design treatments to an iPad. IPad is effectively a piece of glass thatis touch sensitive, as such there isn't much design wise that makes a big difference.

Your selfishness here is unmatched by any recent post to AI. We need better performance, all around from Apple.

It's not about the asthetics as much as the functionality. There was no reason not to go to laminated glass/display earlier, especially since the bragging point of the Air was how much thinner it was. Like I said, they can do all they want performance wise, and TouchID wise as well.
    cali wrote: »

I actually got a reply!!

Oh good, tell him I want a new Mac Mini next month as well. Is that too much to ask?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    apple ][ wrote: »

Get out of town!

You and Slurpy clearly have blocks on whimsical humour.

The White Falcon was simply expressing a fanciful wish that he could still hold his head up high with his Air.

Also, you shouldn't encourage envy.
  • Reply 16 of 20

I would be more than happy to see a dramatically improved iPad with 512MB of RAM.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    cali wrote: »

I actually got a reply!!

????
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Given that this means 8.1 will be out in October, whoever was whining about version numbers going too fast seems to be getting their wish. Looks like we’ll be getting 8.2 and perhaps 8.3 before iOS 9.

Are you sure? I thought we might get them after iOS 9.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I hope they improve the color gamut of the iPad mini. It's really bad compared to its bigger brother.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Interesting (and tangentially related to Apple Pay) news: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0HP13D20140930?irpc=932

Icahn owns large stakes in both eBay/PayPal AND Apple! His 'demand' to spin off PayPal comes as he is fully aware of the potential impact on their business by Apple Pay.