Despite faster A8, higher pixel count of iPhone 6 Plus drives lower FPS benchmarks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    jazzrfunk wrote: »
    I don't usually comment on this site, but all the 6 Plus bashing is really getting old ... That's fine if you don't like the larger iPhone's, don't get one ... no one cares, no really no cares ... heck everyone's obviously entitled to their own opinion and that's fine ... I had iPhone 5's and purchased 2 iPhone 6 Plus's and both my wife and I love the phones, so to each his own so since all the Plus haters are not buying one why don't you use your time and energy on something more constructive ... FYI, I also own an iPad ... #iPhone6plus

This! 100% this! Like you, I too actually own and use a 6 plus. Best iPhone I've used to date, and that started with the original iPhone. I also have an iPad air, but this phone is just perfect for my needs. Just thought you'd appreciate there are others who actually own and appreciate the 6+.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    Quote:

Of course, the GPU benchmarks only emulate the rendering of a canned scene; in an actual video game, the graphics would be rendered alongside other calculations typically performed by the CPU, such as physics and game AI. 

This says it all. All that really matter is the net/aggregate performance and quality of gameplay and video playback. What are we now, like 30 or 40 years into personal computing and despite decades of evidence to the contrary people are still getting hung up on synthetic benchmarks. I guess if your life's mission is to immerse yourself in running benchmarks for personal pleasure and acquiring bragging rights to human imperceptible differences any data point that falls outside of your comfort zone is catastrophic as evidenced by some of the totally unglued comments we're seeing here.

Computer architecture, at least since the 1960s, is heavily invested in exploiting the probabilistic and statistical properties of data sets. Taken in aggregate across an entire architecture, by its very nature this doesn't lend itself to canned or synthetic data. That's one of the reasons there are so many different benchmarks, because each one is deficient in some way. As an end user you should only be concerned with your level of satisfaction in everyday use of a product and how well it meets your needs.

• Reply 23 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    calispecgt wrote: »
    This! 100% this! Like you, I too actually own and use a 6 plus. Best iPhone I've used to date, and that started with the original iPhone. I also have an iPad air, but this phone is just perfect for my needs. Just thought you'd appreciate there are others who actually own and appreciate the 6+.

I find all these 'I returne my iPhone 6 because it's too big' stories quite amusing. For the past two years Apple has been knocked day in and day out for not having a larger screened iPhone. Now we've got two of them and people are complaining that they're too big. The latest I saw was from Kirk McEllhern who writes for Macworld. He wrote a piece about how he tried the 6 but it was just too big for him. And a Verge writer did something similar with the 6 Plus but turned his story into a whine about having to wait in line to return it (along with a click bait headline). Honestly I don't give a shit if someone tried the phone and it's too big for them. If it's in the context of a larger review fine. But these aren't reviews of the phone, they're people whining about the screen size. And some of the media reporting is almost as if big screened phones didn't exist prior to iPhone 6. CNBC runs stories about fashion designers having to change their designs to accommodate the iPhone 6. The reporting on this is ridiculous.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    kpluck wrote: »
    Yep. And just like the iPad 3 the smart money will wait for the next models to get the revision done right. It is unfortunate but Apple has clearly made some bad decisions with the design of these new iPhones.

-kpluck
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Absolutely right!
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

This says it all. All that really matter is the net/aggregate performance and quality of gameplay and video playback. What are we now, like 30 or 40 years into personal computing and despite decades of evidence to the contrary people are still getting hung up on synthetic benchmarks. I guess if your life's mission is to immerse yourself in running benchmarks for personal pleasure and acquiring bragging rights to human imperceptible differences any data point that falls outside of your comfort zone is catastrophic as evidenced by some of the totally unglued comments we're seeing here.

Computer architecture, at least since the 1960s, is heavily invested in exploiting the probabilistic and statistical properties of data sets. Taken in aggregate across an entire architecture, by its very nature this doesn't lend itself to canned or synthetic data. That's one of the reasons there are so many different benchmarks, because each one is deficient in some way. As an end user you should only be concerned with your level of satisfaction in everyday use of a product and how well it meets your needs.

Arstechnica noted that the interface felt a bit laggier in general:

"The problem comes when you begin rendering 3D images—there's going to be some overhead involved in pushing those extra pixels. Occasionally you'll catch animations jerking or dropping frames in a way that doesn't happen on the iPhone 6 or iPhone 5S. Safari's tab-loading animation is one spot where the hiccup is regularly noticeable, though you can occasionally catch it just by zooming in and out of apps on the home screen. We'll put a numerical value on this problem later on in our performance section." (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/iphone-6-and-6-plus-in-deep-with-apples-thinnest-phones/2/)

• Reply 27 of 52
    Alright, but is this actually a problem?
  • Reply 28 of 52

The 6 Plus is easily the best phone I've ever held and used. Yes it's big, get over it, it's also very very useful. Beyond happy with mine for the last 48 hours now. The screen is incredibly gorgeous, the battery lasts 'forever', it flies at everything I throw at it, the camera is outstanding...I can already see the benefit of OIS in low light. Audio quality seems refined (thanks to the new chipset probably) signal strength is the best I've seen in any iPhone (maybe thanks to the larger antenna area?) and the enhancements to iOS 8 in horizontal are useful, hope to see more of them over time. 

The only thing it needs is app updates from some major vendors to properly support it without looking like a jumbotron scaled, but that will come in time no doubt. 

All I can say is the stupid saying of 'haters gonna hate'. I'm convinced people want to take down this phone because 1) there is nothing as good as it available by anyone without idiotic gimmicks, so there's no competition. And 2) those that are vocally bitter Apple made the big leap to large devices while immediately neglecting small sizes they once defended so well. Either way, it's just noise. It's Apple's best iPhone ever, period.

• Reply 29 of 52
    Uhm... So... What does this imply? That games will lag more on 6 plus than on 5s? I couldn't really understand sorry
  • Reply 30 of 52
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Yep. And just like the iPad 3 the smart money will wait for the next models to get the revision done right. It is unfortunate but Apple has clearly made some bad decisions with the design of these new iPhones.

-kpluck

No, they haven't, but troll away. Its all you're good at.

• Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

An obvious troll like you deserves to be bashed 100%. Whoever uses "fanboy" and "Job rolls in his grave" in the same message should be forced to use a Samsung phone as torture for a whole year.

You realize that wouldn't be torture for some people. As evidence by the millions of Galaxy devices that Samsung sells.

• Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzrfunk View Post

I don't usually comment on this site, but all the 6 Plus bashing is really getting old ... That's fine if you don't like the larger iPhone's, don't get one ... no one cares, no really no cares ... heck everyone's obviously entitled to their own opinion and that's fine ... I had iPhone 5's and purchased 2 iPhone 6 Plus's and both my wife and I love the phones, so to each his own so since all the Plus haters are not buying one why don't you use your time and energy on something more constructive ... FYI, I also own an iPad ... #iPhone6plus

Does this mean that all the people who slobber all over the phone shouldn't be allowed to give their opinion either?

• Reply 33 of 52
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Love my 6 Plus. My iPhone 5S which I now use for roaming overseas seems tiny now. My hands are big enough, others aren't. That's called getting the right product that meets your needs. I can also use it one handed although I've never actually made a habit of using my previous iPhone's in that way, just tried it to annoy TS and the other 'only way to use a phone is with one hand' brigade. Amazes me how many people take the time to post to slate the size of the new iPhone 6 models. It's almost as if they were worried that they are better than Android based products. Had my phone delivered on launch day and not noticed any lag issues. Perhaps I'm just using my phone for what it is intended for rather than looking at every single frame to identify lag?

Each to their own.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazznb View Post

Personally I'm COMPLETELY fed up with hearing all the minuses with the iPhone 6 Plus This product is a COMPLETE and abysmal FAILURE, which has Steve Jobs rolling in his grave. He'd probably ram it down Tim Cook's throat! He'd never replace how thin a product is make it less durable.

No matter what the fanboys out there say the young man on Youtube ACTUALLY bent / broke an iPhone 6 Plus with his bare hands and it hurt a LOT OF FEELINGS, when the anger should be placed at Apple for creating GARBAGE!

This makes me think of the stupid girlfriend who beats up her boyfriend's other girlfriend he's cheating with, instead of going to the source of the problem.... HIM!

Quit bashing people who find out how horrible this device is, and help Apple come to grips with it's putting out garbage, and to put them back on the right track.

You're just putting dirt into Apple's grave, and they'll become the next Microsoft.

Oh... I hurt your feelings........ get over it, and quit helping this company go in the wrong direction.

Take note: Consumer reports, and Apple NEVER showed a test where the pressure on the phone was put on the weakest part of the structure, like the button area, because it will bend, and break.

You are unhinged, and living in a fantasy world. Look up internet troll, you will find you.

• Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Arstechnica noted that the interface felt a bit laggier in general:

"The problem comes when you begin rendering 3D images—there's going to be some overhead involved in pushing those extra pixels. Occasionally you'll catch animations jerking or dropping frames in a way that doesn't happen on the iPhone 6 or iPhone 5S. Safari's tab-loading animation is one spot where the hiccup is regularly noticeable, though you can occasionally catch it just by zooming in and out of apps on the home screen. We'll put a numerical value on this problem later on in our performance section." (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/iphone-6-and-6-plus-in-deep-with-apples-thinnest-phones/2/)

That's complete and utter nonsense. The 5s will drop frames and stutter through animations with the best of them. Apple struggled to get iOS 7 animations running smoothly, and they have to start all over again with iOS 8. 

iOS 8 is far from mature and these are the kinds of things you'd expect.

• Reply 36 of 52
    richl wrote: »
    This is hardly surprising - the iPad 3 struggles graphically compared to the iPad 2 due to its retina screen. 

My thoughts, too. I always thought the iPad 3 was a curate's egg of an update: good in parts, not so good in others.

One similarity not mentioned here is heat. The iPad 3 was known for getting unduly hot compared to the iPad 2. I've also heard the same about the 6 Plus in relation to the 5s. Not the 6, though.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Don't care.

It's still art, and a pleasure to use!

And the future's so bright...I gotta wear shades.

Yeah, I've held a 6 Plus, and that display is totally worth a ding on the FPS side.

• Reply 38 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    My thoughts, too. I always thought the iPad 3 was a curate's egg of an update: good in parts, not so good in others.

One similarity not mentioned here is heat. The iPad 3 was known for getting unduly hot compared to the iPad 2. I've also heard the same about the 6 Plus in relation to the 5s. Not the 6, though.

"I've also heard the same . . . "

For shame. Haven't you a shred of self-awareness? Go to the damn store and play some video on the 6 Plus and see if it burns your tender pink fingers. Or use the video camera for a while.

I played the whole 6 Plus photo and video roll at the store and I did not notice any excessive heat.

So now you've heard something different. Let's see a correction from you.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Someone else pointed this out, but to make it really clear: no OpenGL app should be rendering @3X resolution. There are new APIs in iOS 8 that help you get the *screen* resolution of 1920x1080. That's what should be used for testing. So the 6+ should be slightly slower than a plain 6 and possibly faster than a 5S when used the way a game would actually use it. Rendering @3X will actually make OpenGL graphics look worse too.

I have 6+ and I don't know why people keep saying the UI lags... I haven't seen it? Battery life and the screen are great. The only real problem is the 1GB of RAM. Safari can't really keep tabs loaded in the background anymore...
  • Reply 40 of 52
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tazznb View Post

Blah Blah Blah

You show up and make one ridiculous troll post every 1-2 years and then disappear.  You're a clown- I'll remind you of that again in 2016 with the iPhone 8.