Jony Ive, Marc Newson showcase Apple Watch to fashion luminaries in Paris

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2014
The Apple Watch has attracted some of fashion's biggest names to its one-day-only showing at Parisian boutique Colette, with industry icons like Anna Wintour and Karl Lagerfeld turning up to get a look at Apple's long-awaited foray into the wearable device market.

Source: Instagram user papasoey

Wintour -- the infamous editor of Vogue and arguably the most powerful person in fashion -- and Chanel creative chief Lagerfeld were given a personal introduction to the Apple Watch by Apple design czar Jony Ive and Marc Newson, the latest addition to Cupertino's industrial design team.

Newson's is a more familiar name in fashion circles than Ive's, thanks to the former's stint designing timepieces under the banner of Swiss watchmaker Ikepod. Newson officially joined Apple earlier this month, and his presence in Paris seems to confirm that he was intimately involved with the Apple Watch's design process.

Tuesday's showing, which coincides with Paris Fashion Week, marks the first time Apple's newest product has been shown to the general public. The choice of Colette --?one of the trendiest shops in Paris, the epicenter of fashion --?is unsurprising, given Apple's deliberate positioning of the Apple Watch as a fashion accessory, rather than strictly as an electronic device.

During a review of the Apple Watch, well-known horological blogger Ariel Adams hinted that Apple might expand distribution of the Apple Watch to include high-end department stores and boutiques.

While the Apple Watch Sport is made of aluminum and will ship with a plastic-like band for around $350, the Apple Watch Edition is made of 18-karat gold. Apple has yet to reveal pricing for the higher-end model, but some estimates have placed its final retail cost at as much as $5,000 -- a total that would place it in direct competition with traditional timepieces from brands like Rolex and Omega.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    I hope those sunglasses aren't polarized or the Apple Watch will look like crap. Or they could take them off indoors, but that might be too much to ask.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Alright Apple!

Up next Calvin Klein, Burberry, Gucci, Tommy Hilfiger, different clothing stores etc.

Cover all basis cheap to high end, let people know their favorite brand supports ?Watch.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I hope those sunglasses aren't polarized or the Apple Watch will look like crap. Or they could take them off indoors, but that might be too much to ask.

The ?Watch uses a special OLED display which isn't polarised like LCD usually is.

• Reply 4 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

The polarization issue no longer exists on iPhones starting with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, so it's doubtful it will exist with Apple Watches.

• Reply 5 of 65

• Reply 6 of 65
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 wrote: »
    The AppleWatch will hurt Google, Samdung, Microsoft where it hurts.

There weak point:  Style and Taste

Google, Samdung, MS all have terrible taste and fashion sense.

Just look at Google Glass, Galaxy Gear, and Surface.  There are products made in the 80's that look better than that awful trio

Apple should have several brands sign exclusive deals to design bands for ?Watch. I can see Sammy and others copying interchangeable bands in the future. Apple should secure people's favorite brands.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    cali wrote: »
    Apple should have several brands sign exclusive deals to design bands for ?Watch. I can see Sammy and others copying interchangeable bands in the future. Apple should secure people's favorite brands.

Apple won't have to. No one is going to buy the Sammy watches and no brands are going to want to be associated with Samsung watches.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple is smart. Getting buy-in from the fashion industry will help sale IMO. And since the watch isn't reach from a functionality standpoint might as well focus on the fashion aspect. Get people to desire it as an object and then blow them away next year with the technology.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    rogifan wrote: »
    Apple is smart. Getting buy-in from the fashion industry will help sale IMO. And since the watch isn't reach from a functionality standpoint might as well focus on the fashion aspect. Get people to desire it as an object and then blow them away next year with the technology.

The technology is pretty mind blowing already.

The fashion aspect is just a plus.
  • Reply 11 of 65

jony is the only one who looks normal in that picture....

• Reply 12 of 65
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Wow they sure can pull out the big names if they want to.

• Reply 13 of 65
    maestro64 wrote: »
    jony is the only one who looks normal in that picture....
    everyone else looks like they are trying to look cool.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    the outfit on the girl in the middle looks awesome, like a modern version of some victorian queen.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    ascii wrote: »
    Wow they sure can pull out the big names if they want to.

You should check out the Instagram link. As VOGUE UK is posting pictures of the Apple Watch, the users following VOGUE are commenting about how they now want/need the AppleWatch. This entire fashion push Apple is doing with the Watch is GENIUS.

Apple will capture the fashionista audience of early adopters that want the latest fashion craze. That will really boost first gen Watch sales past hobby status and into a major product for the company.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    deleted
  • Reply 17 of 65
    I'm beginning to think that Jony Ive has lost his mojo. I'm monumentally unimpressed with the overall watch design, it looks clunky and some of the design guess images before the release were way better. It pretty much ignores the fact that 99% of the population doesn't wear a watch, and this one (which isn't waterproof) doesn't have any killer features. Apple will make a ton of money from initial interest, then they'll stop dev on it in a few years.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    blackbook wrote: »
    The technology is pretty mind blowing already.

The fashion aspect is just a plus.
    Oh I agree. But it seems to have been overlooked because everyone is focusing on the fact it's not round.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The AppleWatch will hurt Google, Samdung, Microsoft where it hurts.

There weak point:  Style and Taste

Google, Samdung, MS all have terrible taste and fashion sense.

Just look at Google Glass, Galaxy Gear, and Surface.  There are products made in the 80's that look better than that awful trio

lately I've been tending to agree with you. Apple is competing at a level with the their completion can not.

This is great strategy, create your own playing field and make the competition compete at your level, do not allow them to drag you down into the mud.

Apple Strategy is so sophisticated that most fail to understand they what they are doing.

The only issue is that Apple is no going to sell 10M watches but something less they are definitely sell to the high end of the market and watches are not must have items today. I am not sure they even chasing the naked wrist population, since most of them barely have two nickles to rub together.

• Reply 20 of 65
    gregquinn wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think that Jony Ive has lost his mojo. I'm monumentally unimpressed with the overall watch design, it looks clunky and some of the design guess images before the release were way better. It pretty much ignores the fact that 99% of the population doesn't wear a watch, and this one (which isn't waterproof) doesn't have any killer features. Apple will make a ton of money from initial interest, then they'll stop dev on it in a few years.
    I think I'll send this to the Macalope and John Gruber so they can save it for future clam chowder. :D