Apple provides golden master candidate of OS X Yosemite to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited October 2014
In a sign that the next-generation Mac operating system is near release to the public, Apple on Tuesday released a golden master candidate of OS X Yosemite to developers for testing.

The OS X Yosemite GM Candidate is still labeled as a pre-release version of OS X Yosemite, but its identity as a golden master signifies that Apple believes the software could be the final version of OS X 10.10. It is identified as build 14A378a.

A new, fourth public beta was also made available on Tuesday, identified differently as build 14A379b.

Also released on Tuesday was the Xcode 6.1 GM seed. It is identified as build 6A1042b.

Prior to Tuesday's GM candidate, a total of eight developer previews of OS X Yosemite were issued. And to date, volunteer public beta testers have seen three builds.

Yosemite is expected to become available in October, with a launch date likely to be announced at an anticipated media event. The company is rumored to debut a new 27-inch iMac with Retina display at the media briefing, as well as next-generation iPads with Touch ID fingerprint sensors.

Apple has focused on what it calls "continuity" between OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, as users will be able to seamlessly hand off content from their iPhone or their iPad to their Mac when within range. In addition, users will be able to answer and place calls or respond to text messages through Bluetooth connectivity to an iPhone.

iOS 8 was made available for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch earlier this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34

The phrase 'golden master' cracks me up. The 90s is calling they want their golden master back. :-)

• Reply 2 of 34
    I can't wait!!! Bring on the new products so I can buy more toys to play with. A new Apple TV, MacBooks, Mac Mini, iPad mini and Air!!! My wallet is going to fell it this year and next.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    This update also fixed the Bash bug for me. The earlier version of the beta was vulnerable.
  • Reply 4 of 34

The screen shot shows the build as "14A379a". The article states the build is "14A378a". Why must the intended audience do the work of the proofreader? This happens all too often.

• Reply 5 of 34
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

Interesting that a new version of OS X Server was also released today, but it's still a developer preview.

• Reply 6 of 34

There were 8 developer previews, not 6.

• Reply 7 of 34
    Very nice! I can't wait!
  • Reply 8 of 34
    I hope that Yosemite will be better developed than iOS 8 when they release it. Never seen a release as buggy as the iOS.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DCGOO View Post

This update also fixed the Bash bug for me. The earlier version of the beta was vulnerable.

Bad news: there are even more Bash bugs discovered. http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/09/shellshock-fixes-beget-another-round-of-patches-as-attacks-mount/

• Reply 10 of 34
    Yosemite beta just updated to a higher build number than the one listed in this article.
  • Reply 11 of 34

If you're expecting to do a clean install using the Yosemite restore partition don't. I get an error that says, "Item not available."

• Reply 12 of 34
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

What's a reasonable release date based on historical release of the Golden Master?

• Reply 13 of 34
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

What's a reasonable release date based on historical release of the Golden Master?

It won’t be before the October event, so 3rd or 4th week.

• Reply 14 of 34

New icons for the iWork update coming at the Mac event.

New pips on the volume popup.

• Reply 15 of 34
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

The phrase 'golden master' cracks me up. The 90s is calling they want their golden master back. :-)

For the 80s kids out there:

With that said, does anyone know Apple has reenabled text handoffs from iPhones to OS X and iPads in this release? They disabled it server-side earlier this month I believe. 

• Reply 16 of 34
    This has probably already been discussed, and if so, sorry for rehashing it, but continuity will require Bluetooth 4.0 right? So only Macs later than 2012 will have the feature right?
  • Reply 17 of 34
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

nevermind!

• Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

This has probably already been discussed, and if so, sorry for rehashing it, but continuity will require Bluetooth 4.0 right? So only Macs later than 2012 will have the feature right?

You mean "beginning 2012." Right?

• Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

It won’t be before the October event, so 3rd or 4th week.

Wish it were sooner. I need iCloud Drive on my Mac like yesterday.

• Reply 20 of 34

Is there any way you could post a higher quality screenshot of those new iWork icons? Also, I don't see those new icons since I updated to the GM Candidate. Do you know why?