Apple Watch steals the spotlight during Paris Fashion Week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh, chill. It was a perfectly legitimate post, considering how many people refer to AppleWatch as being late to the game given that Samsung has already introduced a watch.

But we get these lame Samsung and iPhone bent comments everywhere else on the internet all day long. Admittedly, I'm a little obsessed with Apple news so I see these jokes (not funny after the 10th time) and jabs (even more annoying after the 10th) all day long. It would be nice if I didn't have to put up with it here too.

• Reply 22 of 43
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Marvin wrote: »
    It's nowhere near the interest for an iPhone that's for sure:

[VIDEO]

Also, the aesthetics aren't sight-unseen, they're in the video. They'll look like that in real-life.

No crown just a button, run finger round bezel to zoom, application page dots - run one finger round edge to switch apps list out (can work like an eclipse), clock can stay in the middle if needs be, circle zoom animation like iOS on opening apps to full circle and back out with tap of home button, contacts are double-tap.

Careful with those ideas. Last time I suggested improvements to the interface design I was bombarded with hate from AI readers.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Quote:

Oh, chill. It was a perfectly legitimate post, considering how many people refer to AppleWatch as being late to the game given that Samsung has already introduced a watch.

But we get these lame Samsung and iPhone bent comments everywhere else on the internet all day long. Admittedly, I'm a little obsessed with Apple news so I see these jokes (not funny after the 10th time) and jabs (even more annoying after the 10th) all day long. It would be nice if I didn't have to put up with it here too.

You can just as easily skip over it....
  • Reply 24 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    sog35 wrote: »
    round watch face.  YUK.  I'm glad you are not a designer at Apple.

Played with a Moto360 and the round face is HORRIBLE.  It cuts off nearly everything on Apps and I had to constantly scroll to see the edges that cut off.

The only thing a round display is good for is an analog clock.

As the following review mentions, the flaw with Android Wear on round faces is the software is designed for square ones:

[VIDEO]

Watch OS would be designed for the hardware so no cutoff. Actually that mockup above isn't quite right as the glass on top would curve over to meet the metal almost at the edge like the iPhone 6. It would be like a droplet of water sitting on a flat surface without the refraction:

This allows you to easily run your finger round the bezel. The roundness wouldn't just be good for the clock faces, the bezel control would be integral to the watch. In tomorrow Never Dies, James Bond twists the dial to set the explosive. He'd be dead if it wasn't for it being round.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 25 of 43
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Quote:

You can just as easily skip over it....

until you realize that every 3rd comment is the same shit.

• Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Also, the aesthetics aren't sight-unseen, they're in the video. They'll look like that in real-life.

I've read in a number of places that photos and videos don't do justice to how beautiful, elegant, non-thick, and proportionate (to the wrist) the AppleWatch is in real-life. I'll wait to see/touch/hold one and the decide.

• Reply 27 of 43
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    ireland wrote: »
    Can you not just leave out these sarcastic references to that company. This post is about the Apple watch.

Desperate.
    Apple hobnobbing with the Kim Katdashian- Nucole Kidman -Taylor swift set.
    Tim Cooks takes Apple first into the HopHop/ Rap world and now this. Shallow Tim needs to go.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Can you not just leave out these sarcastic references to that company. This post is about the Apple watch.

Desperate.

Tim Cooks takes Apple first into the HopHop/ Rap world and now this. Shallow Tim needs to go.

Good to know. I'm sure Apple will get on that right away.

• Reply 29 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Check out this podcast that interviews the site owner for a Blog to Watch. This guy got hands on time with Apple watch and access to Apple employees. The employees specifically said they looked at a round face but determined the rounded rec was more functional.

http://www.resolvepodcast.com/episodes/2014/9/30/apple-watch-the-21st-century-wristwatch

Regarding that round mockup above, I'd love for someone to engineer a working prototype that we could test. Mocking up 3D renders that require zero engineering is easy.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Check out this podcast that interviews the site owner for a Blog to Watch. This guy got hands on time with Apple watch and access to Apple employees. The employees specifically said they looked at a round face but determined the rounded rec was more functional.

Rounded rec is Also Apple's signature shape.

• Reply 31 of 43
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Good to know. I'm sure Apple will get on that right away.

In contrast to the idiot remark you quoted (the only time I see them), is the remarkable sight of an Apple product release pulling crowds, in Paris no less and not an iPhone, iPad or Mac in sight! Cook, Ive and the team have hit a home run. :-)

• Reply 32 of 43

I won't be accepting fashion advice from this twat

• Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post

I have to think that Angela Ahrendts has been quite the helpful hire with this project. Smart company.

I think Ahrendts decided she would accept Tim Cook's job offer while listening to him talk about ?Watch and her role in it.  He had her at ?Watch, in a manner of speaking.

• Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Desperate.

You know, sonny, sometimes it's better to just keep some thoughts within the confines of your skull.  One would think it would be thick enough to hold it in, though.

• Reply 35 of 43
    My stock price is going to go up... And up... And up.

A-watch and location services specifically is going to change EVERYTHING!

Will only take 2 years and my house will be paid off and I will be up about 500% on my investment.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

hilarious

That is excellent. Have you seen this 

• Reply 37 of 43

Blimey! That many just to preview the sucker?

Inevitable Samsung reference coming up:

I just can't wait to see what twee, naffy-norah and crassly unhip media riposte the Chaebol mob come up with in their insane compulsion to be "fast-follower" and suck all the air out of the Android eco-system's effort to keep up with Apple.

Y'all know it's coming, as sure as eggs is eggs...

• Reply 38 of 43

The square looks good to me, referring to this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, round?!

• Reply 39 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    rogifan wrote: »
    The employees specifically said they looked at a round face but determined the rounded rec was more functional.

There's more than just function when it comes to a product having an identity. Apple included a universe clock face as a reference to where the idea of keeping time comes from. It's from the elliptical orbits and rotation of spherical planets that move in cycles. Mechanical watches use circular cogs. The notion of cycles is important. Even when it comes to fitness, you work in repetitions - they use rings in the fitness UI:

[VIDEO]

Tall, thin rectangular analog watches with sharp corners look ok aesthetically but ones with rounded corners don't, nor do square digital watches:

300 300

The Moto 360 display is actually large enough to show all of the content that can be shown on the Apple Watch and more but it's a bit too large:

It could be shrunk down a fair bit and you just lose a tiny portion of the corners of the Apple Watch screen:

You wouldn't lose anything major so whatever could be shown on the square one would look almost identical on the round one, it would just have very aesthetically pleasing padding but circular content can expand out.
    rogifan wrote: »
    Regarding that round mockup above, I'd love for someone to engineer a working prototype that we could test. Mocking up 3D renders that require zero engineering is easy.

There's one here:

https://moto360.motorola.com
  • Reply 40 of 43
    jd mbajd mba Posts: 38member

We are not going to chill dammit.