After Apple Inc. dodged the iPhone 6 Plus BendGate bullet, detractors wounded by ricochet

Comments

• Reply 401 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

And therein lies your blindness.

Most people don't think they will never bend their iPhones or hate Apple. Most people are somewhere in between, not as rabid as the Appolytes on this forum, nor as frothing as the Android apologists, or Andrologists, if you will.

I think I covered most people commenting negatively fairly. 95% of the people (liars) don't think their phones will magically bend and the other 5% are people that profit (bloggers, consumers feeling better about their non-Apple purchases, "journalists") directly or indirectly by attacking Apple.

You used a double negative. Do you really mean to say that most people think they will bend their phones? Why would they buy them? Do they have no sense at all. I can understand that they might pause for a moment if they just read the headlines and look at bent phone pics. But who is watching the videos and believing that the very phone they might have will be easily bent after watching these guys struggle to bend the phone. I want to meet those people.

Again, you're too black and white. 

When I said that most people don't think they will never bend their iPhones, it doesn't necessarily correlate that it means that everyone thinks that they will bend their iPhones, but leaves open the possibility that they think their iPhones might bend. 

Why would they buy them? Well, the 10 million initial sales happened before Bendgate. Either Cook will give us an update in the coming weeks on sales, or he will give us precise figures at the next earnings call. 

The infamous 6 Plus Bend video garnered 46 million views, which is orders of magnitude more than tech videos typically muster. So it would appear that quite a few people are watching the video, like it or not.

The final truth about the bendiness of the 6 and 6 Plus may not be revealed for some time. But the reputation of the 6 Plus, in particular, has been coloured by the controversy, and we shall see whether it blows over like Antennagate or lingers. I fear the latter, due to the alarming and convincing nature of the videos.

• Reply 402 of 429
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    My iPhone 6+ has been 100% fine in my pocket for almost a week now. Feels rigid, and has been fantastic to use. From my experience this has all been silly and the media attached itself to the drama of two large companies and their legions of fanboys.
  • Reply 403 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by koop View Post

My iPhone 6+ has been 100% fine in my pocket for almost a week now. Feels rigid, and has been fantastic to use. From my experience this has all been silly and the media attached itself to the drama of two large companies and their legions of fanboys.

That's great, but the real test will be after two years in your pocket when you've moved away from the precious new thing phase to the everyday throwing around stage.

• Reply 404 of 429
    koop wrote: »

Clearly you're not using it "normally" enough to make it bend. You should apply some extreme "normality" to it.
  • Reply 405 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by koop View Post

Clearly you're not using it "normally" enough to make it bend. You should apply some extreme "normality" to it.

How so?

• Reply 406 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Lack of rollers in the CR's test allow the phone to slip on the left side.  They are not the same and "virtually" does not make it so.

My 9 year old can stand on the phone and it won't break.  The break pressures exhibited most likely do not reflect normal usage.

No, driving the center bar past the phone's breaking point caused it to slip. Any force data after the initial break is useless.

CR's setup may not be as refined as apple's and will not report the same force granularity, but it will show which phones are weaker than others.

What is 'normal usage'? Who gets to define that? Normal usage is shaped by the way consumers use the product.

Unfortunately, too many consumers are easily swayed by a CEO telling them they're using it wrong.

• Reply 407 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell View Post

The iphone 6 deforms at 70lbs. The iphone 5 deforms at 130lbs. 70/130= 53.8.

The fact is, the 6/6+ are weaker and will bend with less force than most phones. 

At what pressure does your Kindle Fire deform?

• Reply 408 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post

At what pressure does your Kindle Fire deform?

I don't know. What pressure does your ipad mini, ipad air or whatever apple device you may own deform?

Maybe you can ask Consumer Reports to do a comparison. I think it would be very interesting to see how other devices fare.

http://web.consumerreports.org/customerservice/customer-service.html

• Reply 409 of 429

This morning I saw a youtube video, were kids where bending Iphone 6+ in a Apple store and it came apart with the display pop out with relative ease...

And yesterday a saw a picture of a bended Iphone 6 (not the Plus)also in a Apple Store.

https://plus.google.com/102834578939326629866/posts/5QKAMn6Pjer

So I dont think that Apple Dodged anything.....

• Reply 410 of 429
    Just found this very good video on the subject http://goo.gl/8N5lLh - Real bending test for Iphone 6 on youtube.
  • Reply 411 of 429
    Just found this very good video on the subject http://goo.gl/8N5lLh -
    Real bending test for Iphone 6 on youtube.
  • Reply 412 of 429
    Quote:

I don't know. What pressure does your ipad mini, ipad air or whatever apple device you may own deform?

Maybe you can ask Consumer Reports to do a comparison.

Actually, I was wondering why we had a Kindle partisan trolling iPhone threads on an Apple product forum;  personally, I'm not at all interested in your Kindle, or your "issues" about Apple.  You and ALL YOUR WORKS here amount to bullying:  kicking over anthills and chasing the ants when they react.  What a BIG MAN.

I think you should take your trolling and bury it somewhere else.

Go find a Kindle forum.  Or an Android forum (try CNET).

Or get a hobby - you could pull wings off of flies!

Oh, and take the other trolls with you, please?

Hey, you could all get Samsung to buy you Apple gear, and you can call it names, and destroy it together on vid!!  How kewl;  you'd love that.

• Reply 413 of 429
    Don't be surprised that this Bendgate video was sponsored by Samsung. If Samsung can't beat the competition, they can hire someone else to bash Apple.

The timing was just perfect for Samsung since they rushed out to release the Note 4 in China last week while creating fear/doubt about iPhone 6 Plus being "bendable". Perfect timing, eh?
  • Reply 414 of 429
    pedling wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">This morning I saw a youtube video, were kids where bending Iphone 6+ in a Apple store and it came apart with the display pop out with relative ease...</span>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9U-NmsgCO8

And yesterday a saw a picture of a bended Iphone 6 (not the Plus)also in a Apple Store.
    https://plus.google.com/102834578939326629866/posts/5QKAMn6Pjer

So I dont think that Apple Dodged anything.....

I could probably do that to other display phones too but that is considered vandalism.
  • Reply 415 of 429
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

No, driving the center bar past the phone's breaking point caused it to slip. Any force data after the initial break is useless.

CR's setup may not be as refined as apple's and will not report the same force granularity, but it will show which phones are weaker than others.

What is 'normal usage'? Who gets to define that? Normal usage is shaped by the way consumers use the product.

Unfortunately, too many consumers are easily swayed by a CEO telling them they're using it wrong.

And how about BMW-gate because I can't take it out 4-wheeling, which I consider "normal usage", without sustaining massage damage.

• Reply 416 of 429
    DED - you've really done it this time. I've never seen the anti-Apple faithful quite so upset. Seriously. You've gone and hurt some actual feelings. Beyond that even. We've all now had to endure unbridled doses of righteous indignation over shaken sensibilities in the confines of this comments section. The anti-Apple faithful just can't feign that - the indignation I mean. They seem to feign everything else. But this is palpable, honest to god righteous indignation we're talking about. You've laid bare a cruel reality in the absolute coldest light of day.

Well done! Well done indeed.
  • Reply 417 of 429

Well, that's a nice job of making lemonade.

I say that because of your reference to the Consumer Reports when you brought up how the HTC One did worse than the iPhones after tweeting disparagingly about Bendgate.  You manage to completely omit how the rest of that Consumer Reports test showed the iPhones to be inferior to EVERY Samsung device.

Oh well, nobody is going to be best or worst in EVERY category, and highlighting your wins and failing to mention your losses is what promoting a product is all about.

You do that quite well.

• Reply 418 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Thank you.! Finally !!!

Hope this gets circulated everywhere!

Samscum and google can go f themselves!

Undignified lowlives !

Wow.  Low standards for post screening here...

I really don't think that "Bendgate" is all that big of a deal. Maybe it's because I'm older, from a generation that didn't blame devices for failing if they were stressed beyond their limits. We tend to take better care of our things, including cellphones, earphones, CDs, DVDs, etc.  We don't sit on them and expect them to remain undamaged. We don't leave them in the summer sun and then act surprised when the heat has destroyed them. We don't put them in our purses alongside our keys and expect them to remain unscratched.  I'm not an iFan, but I don't blame Apple for the phones bending. If you have a phone in your back pocket and you sit on it, it's likely going to bend.

Duh.

PS. I won't own an Apple device, because of the control issues. When I buy something I expect to have full control over it.

• Reply 419 of 429
    Originally Posted by cadillac88 View Post

You've gone and hurt some actual feelings.

Do Googleites and Samsuckers even have feelings?

• Reply 420 of 429
    tuxietuxie Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

ABC news did the right thing!

I mentioned a few days ago that they had a piece on the evening news about 'bendgate', but last night when I was watching it, they had a follow up report and they showed video from the Consumer Reports test and they even pointed out that the HTC phone bent under less pressure than any of the iPhones.

It is fairly obvious that any "bent" iPhones are the result of intentional damage and usage that is beyond what can be described as normal.

I mean seriously, what kind of a moron goes around intentionally breaking things? If I look back at things that I have bought in the past, not just phones, but every kind of item, I bet that I can break and damage practically everything that I own with my own bare hands if that was my intention, but I'm not a damn moron.

Exactly.

My suspicion is Samsung or some other brand had some special morons purchase the 6+ so they could show the world how "easily" they "bend".

That said aside from their latest *fail* in dishonest ads and hype is the fact that Apple seems to be the only company that is concerned about their users security:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/opinion/schneier-apple-encryption-hysteria/ ;