Microsoft looks to distance itself from Windows 8, jumps to Windows 10

Comments

• Reply 81 of 214

You're almost right.

Windows 8: bad idea, terrible execution.

Wouldn't terrific execution of a bad idea still be bad? :lol:
  • Reply 82 of 214
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

As I remember, Apple also was supposed to jump from Mac OS 8 to OS X, but delays meant they had to release an interim OS 9.

A bit like Blackberry was the inteRIMM between the Newton and the iPhone.

• Reply 83 of 214
    philboogie wrote: »
    Windows? I look out of windows.

If God wished us to use Windows, he would allow us to come back from the dead...frequently.

NEVER approach a PC thinking "This will only take 5 minutes".

Windows users often swear at their PC's, whereas Mac users always swear by their Macs.

In a world without walls and fences,
    who needs Windows and Gates?
    - Sun Microsystems

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 84 of 214
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You're almost right.

Wouldn't terrific execution of a bad idea still be bad? image

Well caught!

• Reply 85 of 214

Interesting.

Tech companies are reinventing numbers.

Microsoft went from 8 to 10.

Apple went from 10.9 to 10.1.
    If 10.10 were a number being used in a mathematical operation, you would be correct. Unfortunately, for you, that isn't the case.

Are there still idiots who are on this? Cripes! They don't remember OS X 10.4.11? The fact that you can have two periods in a row is all the proof you need that they're not decimal points!

Where is the proof that 10.10 contains a full stop <span style="font-size:16px;line-height:1.4em;">and not a decimal point? There</span>
    <strong style="font-size:16px;font-style:normal;line-height:1.4em;">are</strong>
    <span style="font-size:16px;line-height:1.4em;">no two periods in a row there.</span>

I rest my case.

Because the initial version in 10.10.0, to be followed by 10.10.1, etc. But nice try....
  • Reply 86 of 214
    Interesting.

it is an ordinal number. You do know what that is. Don't you?
  • Reply 87 of 214
    Error
  • Reply 88 of 214
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    As I remember, Apple also was supposed to jump from Mac OS 8 to OS X, but delays meant they had to release an interim OS 9.

No, OS 9 was a very minor rewrite of OS 8, which allowed Apple to say that the licensing agreements with the clone makers only covered OS 8. This might have been slightly dishonest, but it saved the company.
  • Reply 89 of 214
    Yawn.
  • Reply 90 of 214
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

Still hate the new start menu, 7 looked better than this :/ I don't even want to talk about 8 and I have a PC running it :(

• Reply 91 of 214

It appears no one really cares, from Joe User to the media.

• Reply 92 of 214
    Originally Posted by Anome View Post

I'm guessing not. Because that would break backward compatability with a heap of stuff, probably including MS Office.

You think Microsoft wouldn’t update their own software to accompany a new OS?! 

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

What makes you so sure that OS XI will be out in four years, if at all?

Roughly four years. I don’t see mouse+keyboard computers being sold by Apple by 2020.

• Reply 93 of 214
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    I find it funny that microsofts marketing is working so well they even have apple sites talking about the new version of windows.   If you guys really hated Microsoft you wouldn't be talking about them at all.

I have to admit microsofts marketing team knows what they are doing. Keep in mind even bashing gets the new windows out there.

I have a feel most people here hate Google/Samsung/Android much more than Microsoft/Windows.

Next Windows seems to be shaping quite well, IMHO: a synergy between good elements from Windows 7 and Windows 8.x, with Windows-new features tossed in (multiple desktops etc.).

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+Skips+Right+Over+9+Announces+Windows+10/article36636.htm
  • Reply 94 of 214
    edred wrote: »
    They should just call it Windows X.

WindowsuX
  • Reply 95 of 214
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Apple really should not have released 10.10. They should have used this opportunity to create a new brand for their Mac OS, not necessarily 11, but a complete departure from the old way of doing things.

Do you not understand at all?

That's what's wrong with Windows 8 - M$ stupidly did a complete departure from the old way of doing things.

Apple needs to learn from that, and NEVER make the same mistake.

• Reply 96 of 214
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

Just watched a video showing this.

Dear Lord... they still got absolutely no taste. Those titlebars in general and most fullscreen UI are totally horrid. It kind of all looks and feels like some OS simulated in a browser and therefore more or less plain and ugly to load relatively quickly.

They also somehow seem to think that going back to Windows 7, while shoving those live tiles into an optional space in the start menu will solve any of their problems. Oh well, let's see how this will turn out.

I couldn't resist laughing however when I saw that they now got something that looks almost identical to how Mission Control is implemented in Yosemite. ;-)

• Reply 97 of 214
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Interesting.

That heavy a bait will break your line!

• Reply 98 of 214

You're almost right.

Probably should have said "interesting" idea.
  • Reply 99 of 214
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Roughly four years. I don’t see mouse+keyboard computers being sold by Apple by 2020.

Not going to happen in 2020, not going to happen this century.  Mouse + keyboard is an incredibly good user interface when dealing with a large computer screen.  It's not ideal for hand-holdable screens, but those will never be the majority of the human interface to computers.  Touchscreens are far less than ideal for a desktop screen, and absolutely unworkable for a wall-size screen.

And desktop computing is not going away.  Some people have to do real work, not just send quick emails.  You want to design a circuit on an iPad?  How about a building?  Edit a feature film?  Plenty of stuff works great on desktops, not so much on tablets.

• Reply 100 of 214
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by helia View Post

Still hate the new start menu, 7 looked better than this :/ I don't even want to talk about 8 and I have a PC running it :(

Anyone that actually uses the start menu on windows 7 doesn't really know what they are doing....