PayPal purportedly cut out of Apple Pay due to partnership with Samsung

Comments

• Reply 61 of 175
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The part I don't get is how ?Pay competes with PayPal at this time, or rather, in October when the update gets pushed to iOS. So far it's only a great solution for replacing physical cards where NFC payment systems are used. I wouldn't expect Apple to grow ?Pay into a more universal, internet-based payment system where banks can generate virtual cards per site/merchant until next iOS 9.

I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly in iOS 8 (perhaps it wont be until ApplePay rolls out) you can take a picture of your credit card and have Safari fill in the relevant info into a website. Not sure where I saw that...but that's a start to cutting out PayPal.
  • Reply 62 of 175
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

Typical move by Apple

How is PayPal going with Samsung a “typical move by Apple”? 

• Reply 63 of 175
    I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly in iOS 8 (perhaps it wont be until ApplePay rolls out) you can take a picture of your credit card and have Safari fill in the relevant info into a website. Not sure where I saw that...but that's a start to cutting out PayPal.

1) They did discuss that. You can either take a pic or manually input the data. I'm curious how they will do the CC design matching. Does it use the image to do a search for a similar design in an Apple DB after getting all of them from the banks, did Apple get the banks to keep a copy of every card design on file so it can have a generic design (which will then imprint digitally the last 4-5 digits to help differentiate cards), will the bank only have as little as one section to choose from, or will you be able to manually create your own card design to help find your proper card more quickly? I hope the later.

2) Apple has been wanting to store your card numbers on file in iCloud Keychain since iOS 7, but that's still the same as using your actual CC/Debit Card number online. There is no additional security there. For this to work via a secure ?Pay setup there has to be a representational card number and PIN sent to the bank and verified so that even stealing that number means your actual card number is safe. As far as i can tell they have not set that up for each online vendor.

PS: I didn't understand how ?Pay can be fully functional NOW but not available until October. It's now clear to me the NFC is working fine but regular user's with an iPhones 6 series will need the iOS update to make it work with merchants.
  • Reply 64 of 175
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realjustinlong View Post

With companies like Square, Stripe and similar these days there is no reason that "private citizens" can not easily accept credit cards.

PayPal is an awful company masquerading around like a bank without the regulations or guarantees of a bank. There are countless stories of PayPal freezing merchants accounts for weeks or months at a time, removing money from linked bank accounts.

I never heard of them doing anything like that to 'real' private citizens. It is always fly-by-night unlicensed companies selling stuff on ebay that get a lot of charge backs and stolen credit cards. I've never had a problem with Paypal but I mostly use it to make contributions to programmers who have donate buttons.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

The banks are going to ditch credit cards faster than you can whistle…      whatever it is that you like to whistle.

Where did you get that idea? Credit cards aren't going anywhere, especially not fast. They are necessary for all online purchases plus banks make big commission on credit cards, interest and Visa gift cards, etc. Plus people earn points and airline miles, vip services from AXEX, etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I just want to know; with the separation of ebay and Paypal, will ebay add ApplePay to it's service? (please, please,please)

I, so, want to DUMP PayPal, and never look back.

Apple pay is for point of sale with NFC only. No online payment like Paypal.

• Reply 65 of 175
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) They did discuss that. You can either take a pic or manually input the data. I'm curious how they will do the CC design matching. Does it use the image to do a search for a similar design in an Apple DB after getting all of them from the banks, did Apple get the banks to keep a copy of every card design on file so it can have a generic design (which will then imprint digitally the last 4-5 digits to help differentiate cards), will the bank only have as little as one section to choose from, or will you be able to manually create your own card design to help find your proper card more quickly? I hope the later.

2) Apple has been wanting to store your card numbers on file in iCloud Keychain since iOS 7, but that's still the same as using your actual CC/Debit Card number online. There is no additional security there. For this to work via a secure ?Pay setup there has to be a representational card number and PIN sent to the bank and verified so that even stealing that number means your actual card number is safe. As far as i can tell they have not set that up for each online vendor.

PS: I didn't understand how ?Pay can be fully functional NOW but not available until October. It's now clear to me the NFC is working fine but regular user's with an iPhones 6 series will need the iOS update to make it work with merchants.

I think they want to make sure there are no problems. This way, Apple can test it in the real world for a month or so before actually releasing it on a broad scale. They probably have guys going around buying crap on the company dime all day. Tim and Jony probably used OpenTable to book a steakhouse or something, Eddie Cue went to go get some more crazy pink shirts, Craig went to Walgreens for a blow dryer, etc. ;)
  • Reply 66 of 175
    ibeam wrote: »
    I never heard of them doing anything like that to 'real' private citizens. It is always fly-by-night unlicensed companies selling stuff on ebay that get a lot of charge backs and stolen credit cards. I've never had a problem with Paypal but I mostly use it to make contributions to programmers who have donate buttons.

Where did you get that idea? Credit cards aren't going anywhere, especially not fast. They are necessary for all online purchases plus banks make big commission on credit cards, interest and Visa gift cards, etc.

Apple pay is for point of sale with NFC only. No online payment like Paypal.

It is very online as well. All the app maker has to do is add an "ApplePay" button to their app. Check the HIG for it.
  • Reply 67 of 175
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Screw credit cards. I prefer paper money. In my hand. To their hand.

Personally, I prefer the ol' cow/chicken barter system, myself.

Ever had anybody steal a cow off you without you noticing?

No, I didn't think so...
  • Reply 68 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It is very online as well. All the app maker has to do is add an "ApplePay" button to their app. Check the HIG for it.

I did not know that. How does the user view the secure certificate details of the transaction in an app? So theoretically you can use Apple Pay online with an older phone?

• Reply 69 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

No, I didn't think so.

(however, I do concede that carrying them around is not very fun)

They used to hang cattle rustlers.

• Reply 70 of 175
    ibeam wrote: »
    I did not know that. How does the user view the secure certificate details of the transaction in an app?

https://developer.apple.com/apple-pay/Apple-Pay-Human-Interface-Guidelines.pdf

That's about all we know for now.
  • Reply 71 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

No, I didn't think so.

(however, I do concede that carrying them around is not very fun)

Well they don't call them cattle rustlers for nothing. A cow can be worth well over $1000, Hey buddy do you have change? I need to break a cow!

• Reply 72 of 175
    Not a good move Apple! Sure Samsung is a troll but dont hold it against PayPal.

It isn't like Apple is holding anything against PayPal... PayPal is being left out in the cold as an example to others who might play off Apple with Samsung...Apple won't go along with that game. You're either all in or you're all out.
  • Reply 73 of 175
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Well they don't call them cattle rustlers for nothing. A cow can be worth well over $1000, Hey buddy do you have change? I need to break a cow!

The best thing about that system was that it stimulated the economy by encouraging people to spend.

I mean, who wants to carry around a bunch of cows and chickens all day?

• Reply 74 of 175
    Wow, fatal decision by Donahoe. Notice the head of PayPal wanted to be with Apple, but Donahoe forced the Samsung tie-up. For any of you following the EBay / PayPal split, did you notice Donahoe won't be CEO of either entity? Now I don't have to wonder why...
  • Reply 75 of 175
    credit cards are terrible and VERY insecure. Anyone who objects to a "better way" is an idiot.

Most likely there will be more than one pay option in the future anyway. Who cares if paypal competes. I havent had a single bad outcome with a paypal transaction to this date. As an apple shareholder I hope they get this right and force credit card companies and vendors into a safer solution.
  • Reply 76 of 175
    blazar wrote: »
    credit cards are terrible and VERY insecure. Anyone who objects to a "better way" is an idiot.

Most likely there will be more than one pay option in the future anyway. Who cares if paypal competes. I havent had a single bad outcome with a paypal transaction to this date. As an apple shareholder I hope they get this right and force credit card companies and vendors into a safer solution.

I have had many bad experiences with PayPal, but I'll gladly use them as an intermediary over giving some random website my direct card info. I think PayPal has shot themselves in the foot* here but I think they will limp along for a very long time just like AOL and MySpace.

* Looks like this came from eBay's CEO and this foolish move is why David Marcus left PayPal for Facebook.
  • Reply 77 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

https://developer.apple.com/apple-pay/Apple-Pay-Human-Interface-Guidelines.pdf

That's about all we know for now.

Thanks. looks rather vague. The ole' estimated tax routine. I hate that.

• Reply 78 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

So Apple leaves out VW (the largest auto manufacturer in world) and Audi from CarPlay (at least initially) and now is leaving out PayPal, the largest mobile payments system in the world. I have to wonder about some of the executive decisions being made at Apple lately.

Tim Cook and Apple's Vice Presidents have been making fantastic decisions lately.  This is why Apple is the most valuable company in the world.  This is why Apple makes so much money, it can't spend it all.  This is why Apple's products are so beloved.

After ApplePay, PayPal will NOT be the largest mobile payments system in the world.  ApplePay will be.  And AMEX, VISA, and MASTERCARD will be much larger than PayPal will ever be.

eBay has seen the future.  PayPal will eventually die.  This is why eBay will be spinning off PayPal as a separate company.

Obviously PayPal did something wrong that Apple objected to.   PayPal makes money selling ads.  Apple objected to the gathering of consumer data and selling it to advertising companies.  

• Reply 79 of 175

Stripe - awesome play, looking forward not behind. Even Elon invests in Stripe. Tim at his very best, hopefully the Collison's and the 90 engineers will end up in the new Apple HQ one day

• Reply 80 of 175
    So did Elon Musk get his money and get out? On the one hand, I would love to see PayPal die a painful death, on the other, I like what he's doing lately with Tesla and SpaceX. Well, except for the reinventing-the-wheel part with SpaceX, but at least they're doing something. I really don't want Jeff Bezos to take over that position, even if Blue Origin is based a mile down the road from me!