PayPal purportedly cut out of Apple Pay due to partnership with Samsung

Comments

• Reply 81 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

The banks are going to ditch credit cards

Screw credit cards. I prefer paper money. In my hand. To their hand.

Yeah sure… but I was making a point about ApplePay.

• Reply 82 of 175

I think Apple Pay and PayPal will be able to co-exist. In many respects, they're different business models.

Our customers use PayPal to pay us via "Request Money", and it works fine—especially for international customers, as the currency converts automatically. The fee is about 3%, which seems reasonable for smaller amounts. For larger amounts in the several thousands range, we use bank drafts.

We're also on your second "Working Capital" loan from PayPal which we like a lot. The available amount is based on our transaction history. We pay a service charge which is built in to the payments. The payments are typically 10% of money received which are taken out automatically immediately after each payment is received. We consider it to be a much better system than a conventional bank loan.

Our PayPal debit card is a Master Card, so perhaps it will be accepted at Apple Pay terminals. We'll see.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Apple Pay works.

• Reply 83 of 175

Hardly the point and apple is NOT trusted by all those users, just because they HAVE to put a credit card in to use the service doesn't equal blind trust.

• Reply 84 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

lol.

I’m pretty sure they just want to deal with corporations who aren’t known for stealing their users’ money and/or having breaches of security that get their users’ money stolen by third parties.

So I guess PayPal will have to look elsewhere to do that, huh.

So wouldn’t this advice be better suited to Samsung than Apple

Its easy to spout off on a forum with no proof or evidence to back up any comment, well done sir, well done.

• Reply 85 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Typical smug response from the self important Apple hating crowd. If you can't handle Apple's strong bargaining position in the business world, you should get out of the game.

Clearly you don't have a clue or know my Apple background so let ME educate you.  I have used MAC's since the Apple IIE right through todays 15" MBP I purchased two weeks ago, I have a iPhone 6+ 128GB on order with AT&T, I am waiting for the iPad Air 2 since I want the touch ID on it and in the last 20 years I have likely spent well over $50k on Apple for my personal use.

Since 1995 I have owned well over 80 mobile phones, with about 70 of them being smartphones in the early days onward.  I have owned the iPhone since the 4, 4S, 5, 5S, iPad 1, 2, 3, Retina, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPad Mini Air, Verizon iPads, AT&T iPads and WiFi only iPads so you can compare my Apple background to yours and I suspect I have outdone you about 100 fold.

• Reply 86 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

How is PayPal going with Samsung a “typical move by Apple”? 

You clearly DON'T read well, or quote well either.  Apple blocking PayPal for working with Samsung is a TYPICAL Apple move.  Get your facts right or don't post them at all.

• Reply 87 of 175

I am hoping Apple Pay does well and I can make my life easier, however NFC has not broken any adoption records in the US and Apple is not going to change that overnight, suggestions to the contrary are misleading.  No one is going to leave their plastic at home, because the one time you need it and your Apple Pay doesn't work you are SOL.  Go to your average store and ask about NFC or how to check out the clerks have no clue.

Apple will hasten the adoption that is a given, but it won't be next week or next year, try 2 years for a fully accepted platform.  Not every retailer is in love with Apple Pay, say what you will about the "Wal-Mart Crowd" they are the largest retailer in the world and they have a lot of clout, more than Apple.

• Reply 88 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

That certainly could be one reason to use such a system, but a far more significant benefit is added security.

You hit the nail right on the head.  Credit cards with a magnetic strip are stupidly easy to copy, and clone and really are no security at all.

There 30 year old tech that is way past its prime.  There security is 30 years old too.

• Reply 89 of 175
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

You clearly DON'T read well, or quote well either.  

My quotes were quotes. How can they not be correct?

Quote:

Apple blocking PayPal for working with Samsung is a TYPICAL Apple move.  Get your facts right or don't post them at all.

So now an unknown/unnamed “source” is absolutely factual entity?

Quote:

Citing people familiar with the matter, Bank Innovation is now reporting that Apple and PayPal were indeed discussing a possible tie-up, but talks were scrapped after PayPal decided to sidle up to Samsung.

The article suggested that Apple may have ended the talks;

("According to sources, Apple was not pleased with PayPal's partner choice, with one person reportedly saying, "Apple kicked them out of the door.””)

?but this doesn’t clarify who actually “scrapped" the deal.

?Paypal could have told Apple, “We decided to go with Samsung and not ApplePay” (extremely likely) in which Apple would have called security and given them the boot.

• Reply 90 of 175

Originally Posted by ibeam 

The banks are going to ditch credit cards faster than you can whistle…      whatever it is that you like to whistle.

Where did you get that idea? Credit cards aren't going anywhere, especially not fast. They are necessary for all online purchases plus banks make big commission on credit cards, interest and Visa gift cards, etc. Plus people earn points and airline miles, vip services from AXEX, etc.

Quote:

I just want to know; with the separation of ebay and Paypal, will ebay add ApplePay to it's service? (please, please,please)

I, so, want to DUMP PayPal, and never look back.

Apple pay is for point of sale with NFC only. No online payment like Paypal.

1) Credit cards (as we know them today) will go away, and they will do so as fast as the banks can make it happen.

2) No it's not. Online shopping (in-app) purchases (Target, and few others are just the start).

Sorry I can't format this post appropriately. I clearly must be a retard, because I tried everything I could, to figure it out, and failed. :embarrass 

• Reply 91 of 175
    gtr wrote: »
    Personally, I prefer the ol' cow/chicken barter system, myself.

Ever had anybody steal a cow off you without you noticing?

No, I didn't think so...

If you traded a cow for a chicken, then you just watched someone steal a cow from you. :lol:
  • Reply 92 of 175
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    nofeer wrote: »
    PayPal will die a slow death
    Didn't ebay announce today spin off of PayPal
    Hmmmm wonder why
    That's why eBay stock went up

Actually I think it's going to be quite fast
  • Reply 93 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Apple pay is for point of sale with NFC only. No online payment like Paypal.

Um apparently you didn't watch the keynote but Apple Pay is most definitely for online payments too.  It was announced in the keynote.

• Reply 94 of 175
    raptoroo7 wrote: »
    ...Apple is not going to change that overnight…

It already has.
    No one is going to leave their plastic at home, because the one time you need it and your Apple Pay doesn't work you are SOL.  Go to your average store and ask about NFC or how to check out the clerks have no clue.

Also bringing your Debit/CC with you doesn't means you're not going to use ?Pay. This is no different than when CCs first appeared and people also carried cash on them. Why assume it's an all-or-nothing carry situation? That's just foolish.
    Apple will hasten the adoption that is a given, but it won't be next week or next year, try 2 years for a fully accepted platform.  Not every retailer is in love with Apple Pay, say what you will about the "Wal-Mart Crowd" they are the largest retailer in the world and they have a lot of clout, more than Apple.

Of course it takes time but the writing is not he wall. The paradigm shift is here and it's going to stick.
  • Reply 95 of 175
    mechanic wrote: »
    Um apparently you didn't watch the keynote but Apple Pay is most definitely for online payments too.  It was announced in the keynote.

OK, so how can I use my Mac to make a purchase on Amazon.com and pay with my iPhone 6 via ?Pay? That seems like a convoluted setup to me. The only connected aspect is the bank will be aware of the representational CC and PIN being used for the purchase, but if you're using the same one for every online merchant you're really not adding any internet-based security. I'd think this would have to be unique to a site and/or merchant ID, therefore taking extra time to be developed and implemented.
  • Reply 96 of 175
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    Clearly you don't have a clue or know my Apple background so let ME educate you.  I have used MAC's since the Apple IIE right through todays 15" MBP I purchased two weeks ago, I have a iPhone 6+ 128GB on order with AT&T, I am waiting for the iPad Air 2 since I want the touch ID on it and in the last 20 years I have likely spent well over $50k on Apple for my personal use.

Since 1995 I have owned well over 80 mobile phones, with about 70 of them being smartphones in the early days onward.  I have owned the iPhone since the 4, 4S, 5, 5S, iPad 1, 2, 3, Retina, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPad Mini Air, Verizon iPads, AT&T iPads and WiFi only iPads so you can compare my Apple background to yours and I suspect I have outdone you about 100 fold.
    It was easy to order my 128gb 6. Why is yours so delayed? Pretty lame.
  • Reply 97 of 175
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member

Raptor, that's all well and good, but frankly meaningless when you say not-so-bright things like "Typical move by Apple who is acting like a petulant child." and "If Apple can't handle the business world doing business they should get out of the game." I mean, really? Why say that? Apple is doing just fine in the business world. Just because you don't agree with their approach doesn't mean you should attempt to criticize them for said approach. It just comes across as pathetic whining.
  • Reply 98 of 175
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

with all due respect the keynote was unwatchable. Maybe you conveniently forgot it was a complete disaster.

• Reply 99 of 175

Its easy to spout off on a forum with no proof or evidence to back up any comment, well done sir, well done.

I don’t care what you personally don’t know about PayPal. Your refusal to do research before making an argument is your problem, not mine. Go read about PayPal.

• Reply 100 of 175
    Quote:

Clearly you don't have a clue or know my Apple background so let ME educate you.  

Not interested.