Apple calls for OS X Yosemite app submissions ahead of launch

Posted:
in macOS edited October 2014
In a letter to developers on Tuesday, Apple requested app submissions for its upcoming OS X 10.10 Yosemite launch, noting software built with the Swift programming language can be submitted to the Mac App Store via the latest Xcode 6.1 golden master seed.

Following the release of the OS X Yosemite GM earlier today, Apple is now asking developers to ready their apps for the Mac App Store as the company makes final preparations for its next-gen Mac operating system launch this fall.

In the note, Apple also touts OS X Yosemite features like app extensions and the Swift programming language first unveiled at WWDC in June, urging developers to take advantage of new technologies built in to the OS.

Developers can download the Yosemite GM and Xcode 6.1 GM from the company's Developer Portal to start building -- or modifying -- apps for distribution. Apple also notes Swift has been finalized as of the latest Xcode release and invites app submissions using the new coding language.

Apple is expected to launch OS X 10.10 Yosemite in October, but a firm release date has yet to be announced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Can't be far from release now. Really looking forward to the deepening of iOS integration. I swap back and forth between my iPhone and MacBook for similar tasks so will be handy for this to become a more seamless process.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    lolliver wrote: »
    Can't be far from release now. Really looking forward to the deepening of iOS integration. I swap back and forth between my iPhone and MacBook for similar tasks so will be handy for this to become a more seamless process.

Those Handoff features are mostly done but there is still some odd, un-Apple aspects to taking a phone call on the Mac.

• You can't start a phone call on your iPhone then move it to another device like you can with other apps.
    • The time it takes for the ringing to start/stop between devices is not fast enough.
    • If you make/receive a call on your Mac you won't have a dialer option for tonal input.
    • The app that opens is FaceTime despite it only being a voice call.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Those Handoff features are mostly done but there is still some odd, un-Apple aspects to taking a phone call on the Mac.

• You can't start a phone call on your iPhone then move it to another device like you can with other apps.
    • The time it takes for the ringing to start/stop between devices is not fast enough.
    • If you make/receive a call on your Mac you won't have a dialer option for tonal input.

Good to know. Hopefully they will get those issues sorted out soon although I'm not sure how often I would be using the Mac for making/receiving phone calls but maybe I will.

For me the main reason I'm interested in the handoff feature is for times when I start writing a quick email response on my phone then realise it's going to be longer than I first thought or that I won't to attach a file stored on my Mac.

I remember back when I used Skype before Apple released FaceTime that the ringing would continue on another device after answering the call. Not sure if they've fixed that as I haven't used Skype in a long time. Having my laptop continue ringing after answering my phone will be a little annoying though.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    lolliver wrote: »
    Good to know. Hopefully they will get those issues sorted out soon although I'm not sure how often I would be using the Mac for making/receiving phone calls but maybe I will.

I use it quite often. Great not to have to look away or stop using my Mac to take see who is calling and then take that call.

In fact, this is such an annoying oversight that as far back as July in the Beta a developer made a Continuity Dialer just for that reason.

PS: Added a 4th bullet item to the list.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I use it quite often. Great not to have to look away or stop using my Mac to take see who is calling and then take that call.

In fact, this is such an annoying oversight that as far back as July in the Beta a developer made a Continuity Dialer just for that reason.

PS: Added a 4th bullet item to the list.

Actually when I think about it the times I would be likely to use the Mac to make a call would be when I need to refer to information on the screen such as calling a customer service line for things like insurance policy, bill payments etc... During those times having a dialler would be very useful.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Xcode 6.1, now with Apple's new, slower programming language (which we called Swift for doubleplusgood reasons).

• Reply 7 of 11
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

What was the timeframe between the GM candidate and the actual GM release last year?

• Reply 8 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

• The app that opens is FaceTime despite it only being a voice call.

That continuing to 'ring' on the other devices long after the phone call is picked up on has been driving us nuts. My wife has a MBP, two iPads and an iPhone 5c and being a realtor the phone never stops ringing ... on everything! I have looked for some option to select the incoming phone ring to see if it can be lowered in volume (alone) but not found anything yet. If they all stopped at the same time it would not be an issue. I agree dialing out is needed on the Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

What was the timeframe between the GM candidate and the actual GM release last year?

Looks like the first GM of Mavericks was Oct 4th and it was released on Oct 22nd. That being said, I doubt you'll see it before any kind of Apple Event which I expect sometime within the next week or two. 

• Reply 10 of 11
    macxpress wrote: »
    Looks like the first GM of Mavericks was Oct 4th and it was released on Oct 22nd. That being said, I doubt you'll see it before any kind of Apple Event which I expect sometime within the next week or two. 
    That early? Could be 3-4 weeks
  • Reply 11 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    The Dev GM seems rock solid so far on a nMac Pro and several MBPs for me. It is a gorgeous OS to use, absolutely gorgeous ... no other word I can think of to describe it. The one and only App that fails for me is DXO and they were aware of this but awaiting the GM so hopefully that will be fixed ASAP.