Jony Ive confirms Apple Watch three years in the making as designer's media blitz continues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 174
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Super niche-y.

Super Nietzsche.

"Without an Apple Watch, life would be a mistake."

• Reply 22 of 174
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Ive is extremely overrated. Steve would reign him in. It's been well documented how he's stolen extensively from the house of Braun and Leica most successfully.

Seems he unconsciously "borrows" heavily from others. You wonder if he is becoming too full of himself. And how much credit do you keep giving to one person? We all knew Steve J. got a lot of credit, but people knew that he had great people around him that contributed heavily. And he pushed those people to be more great than they thought they could be.

Apple needs to get back to being iconoclastic. Seems they won't. They will become a caricature of themselves?  Or will they be Disney-esque, but being unique and changing, but keeping the Disney spirit alive?

The Beats announcement sounds like a joke with discredited headphones that people claim to be overpriced and Apple burnishing the image among a lot of people about overpriced Apple products. And why buy Beats? Okay, relationships and connections. Got it.

And the U2 thing? People don't value "free" things, even music. After the reviews of the new U2 album, I listened to most of it yesterday. It sounds like "U2 Easy Listening". That's the only way I can put it. It sounds pretty good, but it sounds like smooth out rehash of their old stuff. And it's really safe music. Not on the level of the Tarzan album that Phil Collins did for Disney.

Okay, got off topic there, but it's the idea of Apple losing it.

• Reply 23 of 174
    cali wrote: »

Knowing the copycats, I think Apple should secure deals with Bloomingdale's, Macy's etc. to exclusively carry ?Watch as the only smart watch and keep a mini display like iPhone/iPad/iPod.

They should also have fashion brands sign exclusive deals to design bands exclusively for Apple. From lower priced brands like Calvin Klein/Ecko to higher end like Gucci/Burberry.

I'm sure those things are in the works. All in good time. First, Apple is getting these high-end stores WANTING to have the Apple Watch to offer to their customers; BEGGING to have the product line... In addition, the fashion brands will come along in their own time... Apple isn't done rolling out the line to the elite of the world in such a way that will put the best spotlight on their watch... which is tied to their iPhone by necessity, so Apple will enjoy the full halo effect reflecting back on the rest of their product offering; especially the iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 174
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

"Jobs resigned as Apple's chief executive in August 2011, then died in October of that year."

i understand you guys are just script kiddies and fanboys, and that you aren't professional (or even very good) writers so i don't expect much. your use of the word "then" here, to join the two thoughts about jobs' resignation and his death, implies that his death is something steve consciously chose to do.

"he consciously decided to resign", then "he consciously decided to die". and i imagine that couldn't be further from the truth. but, hey, it's ok. cuz you're fanboys and not writers.

No, I don't get that implication at all.  I bet the whole reading public except you doesn't see that implication either.  Now let's look at the shortened version: Jobs resigned, then died.  Nope, no implication detected there either, just as there is no such implication in "I jumped, then fell."  Now let's try "Jobs chose to resign then die."  There's your implication of intent on "die".

• Reply 25 of 174
    popnfresh wrote: »
    Three years to design a $350 iPhone accessory that sits on your wrist so that people don't have to go to all the trouble of taking their iPhone out of their pocket to look at it? I guess this is what passes for "innovation" in the post-Steve era.

Obviously it does more than that, however it is an accessory. Not a standalone product.
  • Reply 26 of 174
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    pooch wrote: »
    i understand you guys are just script kiddies and fanboys, and that you aren't professional (or even very good) writers so i don't expect much. your use of the word "then" here, to join the two thoughts about jobs' resignation and his death, implies that his death is something steve consciously chose to do.

"he consciously decided to resign", then "he consciously decided to die". and i imagine that couldn't be further from the truth. but, hey, it's ok. cuz you're fanboys and not writers.

While I understand what you're saying, and while you are, under certain circumstances, correct, in reality, the sentence is fine. All languages expect readers to understand the concept of what's being written as well as the grammar. In fact, few people understand grammar much beyond their unconscious use of it.

I think it would be safe to say that everyone reading that is aware that Jobs didn't commit suicide, and the sentence doesn't hint that he did. It's just a progression of facts.
  • Reply 27 of 174
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Wow I think this is the first time I've ever heard Ive mention his wife and children. I got a big smile on my face when Ive was talking about being married a long time and said "isn't that cool?". :)

• Reply 28 of 174
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Ive is extremely overrated. Steve would reign him in. It's been well documented how he's stolen extensively from the house of Braun and Leica most successfully.

Inspired by not stolen.  Did Braun make a phone or computer?  Did Leica? 

Claiming he stole from Leica is crazy as he has worked with Leica to design special editions for them. 

• Reply 29 of 174
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

grooming Ives to be the next CEO. amazing.

Doubt it. I think Ive has zero interest in being CEO.

• Reply 30 of 174
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Three years to design a $350 iPhone accessory that sits on your wrist so that people don't have to go to all the trouble of taking their iPhone out of their pocket to look at it? I guess this is what passes for "innovation" in the post-Steve era.

Take a hike troll...

I supposed that means you'll get the sports model..

• Reply 31 of 174
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Not to mention who can afford to buy anything in Vogue anyways. Or even want to for that matter? Who cares about fashtards?

Everyone is a fashtard, including yourself. Oh, yes, you won't admit it, but anytime you buy something because you think it looks good, or because you see others with it, or even because you think others won't get it, you are a fashtard.

While you may be envious of those who have more money than you do, and so can afford what you cannot, you, in your own way, work to prove yourself as fashionable as anyone else, even if it's to do the opposite of what you think these others do, in the amount that you can afford, of course.

If you're a geek, or pretend to be one, then your fashion is geeky. If you think yourself as a long lost flower child (yes, there are still a few of those around), then you will follow that fashion.

But fashion is fashion, even if it's a reverse to what most people think is good.

Perhaps, someday, when you can afford these things, your opinion will change. It almost always does.
  • Reply 32 of 174
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

You wonder if he is becoming too full of himself. And how much credit do you keep giving to one person? We all knew Steve J. got a lot of credit, but people knew that he had great people around him that contributed heavily. And he pushed those people to be more great than they thought they could be.

Ive, as well as Steve Jobs, has said numerous times in the past that it bothers him that people perceive him to be the one that does it all when it is in fact a collaboration with Ive's entire design team.

Read the articles, read Steve Job's book, or read something.  Don't "wonder".  I don't.  

• Reply 33 of 174
    popnfresh wrote: »

Not to mention who can afford to buy anything in Vogue anyways. Or even want to for that matter? Who cares about fashtards?

With that statement you just placed yourself into a class of consumers far far from the edge of fashion and with a pitifully thin wallet. But most of all you show your ignorance of a whole strata of high-end markets. Vogue is an expensively produced magazine that is not in any financial trouble and unless what it sells isn't important to thousands of well-heeled shoppers it would be history like it's lesser ilk.
  • Reply 34 of 174
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Inspired by not stolen.  Did Braun make a phone or computer?  Did Leica? 

Claiming he stole from Leica is crazy as he has worked with Leica to design special editions for them. 

Also Dieter Rams offered up items for the RED auction and was there in person. Obviously he doesn't consider Apple products to be Braun rip offs.

• Reply 35 of 174

Have fun reading that 1" screen.

You must be trolling.

I wonder what your qualifications in design are. They must be pretty impressive to disagree with some of the most well known, and respected people in design. If not, then I suspect it's safe to ignore your contentions.

In an interview, Mr. Ram has stated that he and Ivy had spoken several times, and that Ivy had stated that Ram's work was an inspiration to him. Mr. Ram spoke very highly of Ivy, and was flattered by the concept of his design work, not the designs themselves, as being that inspiration. In turn, Ivy has stated that Ram was an inspiration. I don't think you understand the history of art and design. Nothing comes out of thin air.

The watch faces are bigger than one inch. But that doesn't matter that much. I suppose you're railing against every smart watch being made or contemplated, as all of them will, by necessity have "small" faces.

But then, you probably don't use a watch at all. If you did, you would know that all of them have "small" faces. Some are almost unreadable, but cost tens of thousands. So, I really suppose your problem is with all watches, particularly those with "complications", and complex designs.

Perhaps your vision needs correcting?
  • Reply 36 of 174
    rogifan wrote: »
    Doubt it. I think Ive has zero interest in being CEO.

Agreed!
  • Reply 37 of 174
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

...your use of the word "then" here, to join the two thoughts about jobs' resignation and his death, implies that his death is something steve consciously chose to do.

"he consciously decided to resign", then "he consciously decided to die". and i imagine that couldn't be further from the truth. ..

This is where you fail because you are not the faithful. We all know Jobs is god and death could only overcome him if he let it. He decided to leave at that time for reasons only knowable to him.

• Reply 38 of 174
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You must be trolling.

I wonder what your qualifications in design are. They must be pretty impressive to disagree with some of the most well known, and respected people in design. If not, then I suspect it's safe to ignore your contentions.

The watch faces are bigger than one inch. But that doesn't matter that much. I suppose you're railing against every smart watch being made or contemplated, as all of them will, by necessity have "small" faces.

But then, you probably don't use a watch at all. If you did, you would know that all of them have "small" faces. Some are almost unreadable, but cost tens of thousands. So, I really suppose your problem is with all watches, particularly those with "complications", and complex designs.

Perhaps your vision needs correcting?

It was good that they disbanded, lost Marriott, and then had the other three joined by Wood and Stewart. "Faces" was a much better band, imo.  ;)

• Reply 39 of 174
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">You… you mean I’m not a gaywad?</span>

I couldn't care less about your sexuality.

Thanks for sharing... back to ?Watch.
    I'm sure those things are in the works. All in good time. First, Apple is getting these high-end stores WANTING to have the Apple Watch to offer to their customers; BEGGING to have the product line... In addition, the fashion brands will come along in their own time... Apple isn't done rolling out the line to the elite of the world in such a way that will put the best spotlight on their watch... which is tied to their iPhone by necessity, so Apple will enjoy the full halo effect reflecting back on the rest of their product offering; especially the iPhone.

Seems to be the case. ?Watch will be more attractive to vendors than android wear fashion-wise and profit-wise because from what I see it looks like its gonna be a race to te bottom again for android wear with low profits and cheap gadgets.

What Apple should do is create a unique eye-catching display to attract customers, especially those unaware of the product. The round Colette display was pretty cool. Something like that.
  • Reply 40 of 174
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

I couldn't care less about your sexuality.

————point————>

????