Jony Ive confirms Apple Watch three years in the making as designer's media blitz continues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 174
    Does this mean we can count on more insufferable waffle about "the vocabulary of watch making" and the continued overuse of gushing superlatives?
  • Reply 42 of 174
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You must be trolling.

I wonder what your qualifications in design are. They must be pretty impressive to disagree with some of the most well known, and respected people in design. If not, then I suspect it's safe to ignore your contentions.

In an interview, Mr. Ram has stated that he and Ivy had spoken several times, and that Ivy had stated that Ram's work was an inspiration to him. Mr. Ram spoke very highly of Ivy, and was flattered by the concept of his design work, not the designs themselves, as being that inspiration. In turn, Ivy has stated that Ram was an inspiration. I don't think you understand the history of art and design. Nothing comes out of thin air.

The watch faces are bigger than one inch. But that doesn't matter that much. I suppose you're railing against every smart watch being made or contemplated, as all of them will, by necessity have "small" faces.

But then, you probably don't use a watch at all. If you did, you would know that all of them have "small" faces. Some are almost unreadable, but cost tens of thousands. So, I really suppose your problem is with all watches, particularly those with "complications", and complex designs.

Perhaps your vision needs correcting?

It sure seems that people who know Ive personally have a completely different opinion on him than random posters on site like this. If he was so full of himself and had no talent outside of ripping off Dieter Rams wouldn't he gone from Apple by now or his portfolio and influence reduced rather than expanded? Seems to me Tim Cook has no time for egomaniacs or people not at the top of their game.

• Reply 43 of 174
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

Does this mean we can count on more insufferable waffle about "the vocabulary of watch making" and the continued overuse of gushing superlatives?

I wasn't aware anyone was forced to listen to anything he says.

• Reply 44 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I wasn't aware anyone was forced to listen to anything he says.

You're right, I should just completely ignore the entirety of the press about the watch, since - as this article pointed out - Jabroni Ive has become the de facto spokesperson for the device.

• Reply 45 of 174
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    melgross wrote: »

You must be trolling.

I wonder what your qualifications in design are. They must be pretty impressive to disagree with some of the most well known, and respected people in design. If not, then I suspect it's safe to ignore your contentions.

In an interview, Mr. Ram has stated that he and Ivy had spoken several times, and that Ivy had stated that Ram's work was an inspiration to him. Mr. Ram spoke very highly of Ivy, and was flattered by the concept of his design work, not the designs themselves, as being that inspiration. In turn, Ivy has stated that Ram was an inspiration. I don't think you understand the history of art and design. Nothing comes out of thin air.

The watch faces are bigger than one inch. But that doesn't matter that much. I suppose you're railing against every smart watch being made or contemplated, as all of them will, by necessity have "small" faces.

But then, you probably don't use a watch at all. If you did, you would know that all of them have "small" faces. Some are almost unreadable, but cost tens of thousands. So, I really suppose your problem is with all watches, particularly those with "complications", and complex designs.

Perhaps your vision needs correcting?

Most watches have hands- period.
    I refuse to read on a 1 1/2" screen when I have a 4" screen in my pocket.
    So anyone who's not into the iWatch is a troll? Rich.
  • Reply 46 of 174

NEWSFLASH FOR JONY IVE: The watch has already been invented. You can put your feet up now.

• Reply 47 of 174
    AppleWatch has been three years in the making and still no consumer has one.  Samsung must already offer about six smartwatches in only a year's time.  I'm not criticizing Apple as quantity doesn't mean much.  It's just an observation.  I suppose Apple must be spending a lot of time trying to get AppleWatch right on the first shot.  Apple will probably offer a lot of apps upon introduction of AppleWatch.  I doubt any other smartwatch company has a smartwatch App Store.

Wondering how successful it's been for you Samsung...????
  • Reply 48 of 174
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Someone has to pick up the design mantle left by Steve. No better person than Ive.

Steve Jobs is good at marketing not necessarily design. Steve Jobs has taste. Johnny Ive is really the man behind all of the latest Apple products in the last 20 years. 

• Reply 49 of 174
    With that statement you just placed yourself into a class of consumers far far from the edge of fashion and with a pitifully thin wallet. But most of all you show your ignorance of a whole strata of high-end markets. Vogue is an expensively produced magazine that is not in any financial trouble and unless what it sells isn't important to thousands of well-heeled shoppers it would be history like it's lesser ilk.

Vogue featured Kim Kartrashian and Kanye West on its cover. I rest my case.
    This read desperation- Fashionistas should flock to Apple not the other way around.
  • Reply 50 of 174
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

I'm curious to see this watch in person. I remember when everyone said the tablet was a bad idea....until the tablet wasn't such a bad idea. 

• Reply 51 of 174
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Just confirms that this was Steve idea, so Cook can not take credit for it. I would say anything new not incremental product changes are Steve's idea just being played out. over the next few years. Steve said he left a roadmap of products for them to work on.
  • Reply 52 of 174
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Steve Jobs is good at marketing not necessarily design. Steve Jobs has taste. Johnny Ive is really the man behind all of the latest Apple products in the last 20 years. 

You need to do some more reading.

• Reply 53 of 174
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Actually Jony has said they it was Steve sense of design that drove things, Jony would bring in 20 prototype designs and steve would just knock them off the table and only leave the ones he though were even worth considering. Jony is good but any real talent needs critics to keep them on the right path.

• Reply 54 of 174
    popnfresh wrote: »
    Three years to design a $350 iPhone accessory that sits on your wrist so that people don't have to go to all the trouble of taking their iPhone out of their pocket to look at it? I guess this is what passes for "innovation" in the post-Steve era.

You could describe the original iPhone as an iTunes accessory so that people don't have to go to all the trouble of carrying a separate mobile phone and iPod.
  • Reply 55 of 174
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

You're right, I should just completely ignore the entirety of the press about the watch, since - as this article pointed out - Jabroni Ive has become the de facto spokesperson for the device.

How about you put at least a little effort into not being an idiot, k?

Make another insult like that, and you're banned.
  • Reply 56 of 174
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Most watches have hands- period.
    I refuse to read on a 1 1/2" screen when I have a 4" screen in my pocket.
    So anyone who's not into the iWatch is a troll? Rich.

To show how little you know, it's not called the iWatch. At least, come up to speed.

But your complaint is against watches in general. No matter that most, though not all, have hands. Many watch designs are almost incomprehensible. The Apple Watch is more readable than many.
  • Reply 57 of 174
    Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

How about you put at least a little effort into not being an idiot, k?

The irony really hurts.

Maybe, just maybe, to make something correctly you’d have to learn about how to make it, you know?

• Reply 58 of 174
    NEWSFLASH FOR JONY IVE: The watch has already been invented. You can put your feet up now.

I don't get your point. So every watch manufacturer should stop coming out with newer watches?
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Vogue featured Kim Kartrashian and Kanye West on its cover. I rest my case.
    This read desperation- Fashionistas should flock to Apple not the other way around.

Perhaps you lack the understanding of the fashion world. Fashion is something that, to a certain extent, is fleeting. There is no one men's suit, nor any one women's skirt. There are literally thousands of watch designs out there, most of which can't be to,d apart at an easy glance.

Here's one lovely design. Unfortunately, at $250,000, its a bit out of your price range.

I can post more.

When we talk about personalities, the same thing is true. They come and go, and some can't be told apart at first glance. So while you work hard to ignore popular fashion and personalities, it doesn't matter.

Whether you want to believe it or not, Vogue is the most influential fashion magazine in the world, with many country specific editions. For whatever reason, Kartrasian and West are popular figures, and people are interested on what they wear, how they look, and even in what they say. You do t have to like it, but it perhaps says more about you than others.
  • Reply 59 of 174
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Actually Jony has said they it was Steve sense of design that drove things, Jony would bring in 20 prototype designs and steve would just knock them off the table and only leave the ones he though were even worth considering. Jony is good but any real talent needs critics to keep them on the right path.

... and you can't do that without design sense.

• Reply 60 of 174
    ... and you can't do that without design sense.

Steve would have trashed this design because he was forward looking. This looks like my over 3 year old 6th Gen IPod Nano with a wrist band. Poor design. I don't care who designed it.