iOS 8 makes it easier to access desktop websites in Safari

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Or, you're exactly what he described you, a pathetic troll. Anyone can see that by scanning your posts and noticing that they are 100% negative, not ONE positive comment towards a single Apple product.

I can't even imagine how pathetic my life would need to be, in order to compel me to post incessantly on websites dedicated to companies I despise. Maybe you should ask yourself why you derive enjoyment out of it? Why you would contiguously check a website called "AppleInsider", register on the forums, and posts regularly, when you hate everything about Apple, and have nothing to contribute except abject negativity, derision, and mockery- towards a tech company, no less? The sooner you figure that out, the sooner you can make changes in your life to make you less of a pathetic human being. 

Yet you were pathetically compelled to mention Samsung in a thread that had nothing to do with them.
    10,000,000+ million sales in a weekend, while being supply constrained, and before launching in the largest market in the world (China). 

Eat your fucking heart out, Samsung. 
  • Reply 22 of 48

Very useful. Skipping Facebook's mobile site allows me to skirt the FB Messaging app, and just respond to messages on the main site.

• Reply 23 of 48

Yet another vote for a default of this.

To paraphrase Steve, this device was not meant for the 'baby Internet.'

My iPhone 6 Plus wants full websites, most of the time.

• Reply 24 of 48
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

Sounds like somebody has a sore butt over another Android feature finally being added to iOS years later.

you are hanging your hat on "view desktop version" eh?  Good lord.

• Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

welcome to mobile browser 2012 feature list :err:

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

Sounds like somebody has a sore butt over another Android feature finally being added to iOS years later.

iOS has had this feature exactly as long as it's had the Chrome browser in the App Store (so, years ago)

• Reply 26 of 48
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member

Doesn't work at "apple.com", humorously.

• Reply 27 of 48
    dugbug wrote: »
    you are hanging your hat on "view desktop version" eh?  Good lord.

One can also change the UA so that it looks like you're browsing on a desktop.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member

I was excited about this article as I had an issue with Crackle last night on my AppleTV (it needed to authenticate and my iPad was handy, but couldn't access the proper URL because it was locked on the mobile site).   Well unfortunately it does not work on Crackle - I just tried and it still defaults to m.crackle.com/# .  

So nice idea, but poor execution.

• Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

One can also change the UA so that it looks like you're browsing on a desktop.

That's the trick I've used to host wi-fi hotspots over T-Mobile. If I connect a PC with Chrome or IE, T-Mobile posts its "if you'd like to upgrade your plan..." page. If I spoof Chrome's UA to Safari, then T-Mobile lets it right through.

Go figure.

• Reply 30 of 48

Didn't work on my iPhone 5S on Wikipedia, my most-often-used site, for which my bookmark is the full desktop link. The "Desktop" link at the bottom of the Wikipedia home page did take me to Wikipedia's full site, and then after that, my bookmark always takes me to the full site, even though I've visited numerous other sites in between.

From this experience, it appears to me that Safari keeps a by-site preference for you. Flick-terminating Safari kept the full preference at next launch. Don't know whether power-down or reboot will clear it.

• Reply 31 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yet you were pathetically compelled to mention Samsung in a thread that had nothing to do with them.

Really? Wow, talk about reaching. Well done with your blatant intellectual dishonesty, and false equivalency, desperately trying to make me look like a hypocrite. Every single poster on this board has mentioned samsung at one time or another, even in threads that are not specifically about them. 

No, the equivalent would be me visiting visiting a Samsung dedicated website, registering on their forums, and posting regularly soley in order to bash the company and their products. Do you see the slight difference there? Go ahead and pretend that you don't, because the rest of this board can make that obvious distinction. So sad that you had to scour my posts, and that's the best you could find, in order to attempt to discredit me and prop up a drive by troll. How noble of you. 

• Reply 32 of 48
    You're feeding the trolls again. On a somewhat related note, does anyone else have issues with the forums on this AI iPhone app? Do most of you use the website on your iPhones? Mobile or desktop?

Issues: links don't work - blank page, pressing back goes back to top of forum page instead of referring post and sometimes I randomly get sent to the top of the page while scrolling down
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Really? Wow, talk about reaching. Well done with your blatant intellectual dishonesty, and false equivalency, desperately trying to make me look like a hypocrite. Every single poster on this board has mentioned samsung at one time or another, even in threads that are not specifically about them. 

No, the equivalent would be me visiting visiting a Samsung dedicated website, registering on their forums, and posting regularly soley in order to bash the company and their products. Do you see the slight difference there? Go ahead and pretend that you don't, because the rest of this board can make that obvious distinction. So sad that you had to scour my posts, and that's the best you could find, in order to attempt to discredit me and prop up a drive by troll. How noble of you. 

I didn't say it was equal. It is pathetic that on Apple's day to shine you decided to give Samsung some importance by mentioning them.

I'll agree that those that come on here to strictly bad mouth Apple are pathetic on another level, and it's best not to justify their existence by responding to them. If no one answers them they'll get the message, and simply leave.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic troll.

Maybe a useless, pathetic, but *accurate* troll.  I was a little stunned to see both this and 'Privacy mode' added as features.  These really are features that have been around for years and Apple is very slow to the game.   I think desktop mode was actually something you in particular liked to make fun of.  There is some humor in seeing people who previously raked Android users over the coals for using desktop agents on their phones now suddenly be allowed to step into the light and get pages of 'OMG Apple this is amazing I don't have to use shi**ty mobile sites anymore!!!"

Both systems have their merits, and personally I'm always glad when one ecosystem gets features from the others.  A year from now Apple users are going to pick up their 'old' 5s and go 'How the hell did I ever use that tiny thing?'

• Reply 35 of 48
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Can't we just keep this forum peaceful and invite female squirters to wash away the nastiness?
  • Reply 36 of 48
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Is it possible to click "LIKE" a 1,000 times for this feature?
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Can't we just keep this forum peaceful and invite female squirters to wash away the nastiness?

Wait, what?!?

• Reply 38 of 48
    If I never see an OnSwipe-enabled site again, it'll be too soon.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    eep357eep357 Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Wait, what?!?

Best post of the day award! LMAO

• Reply 40 of 48
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member

About time. You could set the default "Browser ID" on blackberrys a long, long time ago. It was better than this option that doesn't work all the time.

Chrome on iOS has also had the "request desktop site" option for as long as I can remember.