Marc Newson confirms only working at Apple part time on secret projects

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Whether you are for or against what Apple is doing here the one thing the anti-Apple crowd can't deny is that Apple is going a completely different direction than any other "smartwatch" attempted at this point.

That's the beauty of it. Apple is already associated with fine design that the wealthy feel good owning (as well as the rest of us). Samsung is associated with plastic and thievery. And none of the Android guys can come close to matching Apple's design and perceived build quality. (The Moto 270 is just ugly to me). Copying Apple will be much harder (if it's even possible) this time around.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Deleted.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    No one noticed the horrendous spelling mistake in the last sentence? -- "The pubic display coincided with the influential Paris Fashion Week."
  • Reply 24 of 38
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    18K Rose Gold Mac Pro: WANT!!!
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

so even he doesn't know what he's working on?

They wipe his memory every night before he's allowed to leave One Infinite Loop.

• Reply 26 of 38
    habihabi Posts: 317member

Personly I dont like many of his designs... (looked at google images) To me thats more arts stuff than industrial design. Sorry.

He seems to be a totally form over function type of guy. Now Steve knew that form was very important but that function was AS important. I hope I´ve can keep the lid on this guy and use some of his ideas and use the things that works from the use point of view.

• Reply 27 of 38
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

The ? watch has Marc Newson's signature written all over it.

It is a bit of a non question asking in what projects he is involved :)

• Reply 28 of 38
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Let's hope any involvent from Newson doesn't lead to the third Newton.

The second one is due early next year.

Only a troll would condemn a product barely announced that he's never even seen nor touched.

Hello, troll. How's the trolling going?
  • Reply 29 of 38
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Let's hope any involvent from Newson doesn't lead to the third Newton.

The second one is due early next year.

Only a troll would condemn a product barely announced that he's never even seen nor touched.

No condemnation coming from my quarters.

How are your reading comprehension classes going?
  • Reply 30 of 38
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

I used to think the forum blocking feature was silly, but I eventually realized... my time is not worth spending on thoughtless clutter (acknowledging that I am equally capable of the same, and am perhaps even demonstrating it here).

• Reply 31 of 38
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

FanDroid’s brains are exploding over all this fashion stuff. Even Apple techies are experiencing high anxiety. Tech types don’t give a crap how something looks, only the spec sheet matters. It could be a cardboard box painted baby-shit yellow but as long as it had enough mHz, pixels, the right GPU, and an SD slot they couldn’t care less. This has got  to be a big strain on their psyches. That’s why they drive Hyundai cars and use $7 toasters from the Dollar General Store. It’s also why they walk into Apple stores to bend an iPhone 6 and snicker. And Apple cries all the way to the bank over it too, worrying how the tech Illuminati will respond. 

What's with the allure of ad hominems? Especially when they are usually inaccurate and insulting.

• Reply 32 of 38
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    It looks like Jony may be trying to hide his left wrist in the photo. That might also explain the fact that he's scowling even more than usual.
    22july2013 wrote: »
    No one noticed the horrendous spelling mistake in the last sentence? -- "The pubic display coincided with the influential Paris Fashion Week."

Actually, I think that's a pretty good spelling mistake.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    No condemnation coming from my quarters.

Yes, but it's those hindquarters . . .
  • Reply 34 of 38
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Now this is a first world problem :-)

LOL, that it is, RobM.  That it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I don't disagree, but I would spend $349-$500 on a digital one.

No one has said that Rolex is in trouble. Its the $100-$1000 market that is in trouble.

I own a $100 Casio WaveCeptor that I've had for five years without an issue. It's being replaced by an Apple Watch next year. I'm probably not the only one.

Heck, a lot of higher end watch folks say they'll wear two watches: their mechanical on one wrist, and the Watch on the other. That sounds fine to me, kt makes more sense than carrying two smartphones.

Thanks, TheWhiteFalcon. That is good to know. Do you have a reference to that online, or is it just something that you are hearing? I think given the functional differences between a higher end mechanical watch and the Apple Watch, wearing both should be 'acceptable' from a fashion sense. Or, even if it isn't, it really won't bother me - I am a middle-aged, happily married guy who is not out to prove anything!! So long as I am happy wearing both, I shouldn't care about what others think anyway!!

• Reply 35 of 38
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

... H O L Y C A N O L Y , Marc ! What have you done to the Mac pro ?

• Reply 36 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Heck, a lot of higher end watch folks say they'll wear two watches: their mechanical on one wrist, and the Watch on the other. That sounds fine to me, kt makes more sense than carrying two smartphones.

I very much doubt that. People aren't typically ambidextrous so they'll have difficulty putting a watch on and off the dominant hand as well as controlling it. Not only that, it will look terrible - you only put things on both sides if they match like cufflinks, earrings, socks. Differently designed items on each side will look silly. More so when they have a functional element because people will be raising one hand or the other by mistake.
    mr o wrote:
    The ? watch has Marc Newson's signature written all over it.

I preferred Newson's and Ive's custom-made watch here - a square display would fit behind the main circle (that's the route the LG G Watch went down, although the LG Watch doesn't look very good):

1000 1000

The one Newson is wearing in the article photo looks like a Moto 360 design:

I wonder if Jony will replace his custom-designed Swiss watch with an Apple watch. If he doesn't then it's not likely other people with Swiss watches will either:

• Reply 37 of 38

For all their faults, Brits are world leading designers, architects etc.

• Reply 38 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

We have collective faults?