I Movie is not showing .mov files after it claims to have imported them

Posted:
in Mac Software edited October 2014

I have some .mov files I downloaded.  I want to put them in my movie.  THe first three files worked fine but suddenly after that, every time I try it import the file, it looks like it is importing, creating thumbnails, etc but then the footage is NOT showing up and I cannot use it.  I can view it using Quicktime just fine.   But I cannot use it to make my movie.  It worked for three files - I have no idea why it is not working for these.  I restarted the computer, no luck. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    When you open the clips in Quicktime and open Windows > Show Movie Inspector, what does it say the format is of the clips that do work and the ones that don't?
  • Reply 2 of 8

H.264 64 x 360

AAC  441000 HC, Stereo (L R)

• Reply 3 of 8
    Are they all that format and can you still import the original movies again? Also, if you start a new project, can you import the problem movies?
  • Reply 4 of 8

For two of the clips that do not work, the format is: 

H.264 640 x 360

H.264 1280 x 720

For two  of the clips that work, the format is:

H.264 854 x 480

H.264 640 x 360

• Reply 5 of 8

I just tried starting a new project and also starting a new event.   Each time, the computer acts like it is importing.  It says it is importing, processing and it will take "less than a minute."    At no time does it give me an error message.  But the movie does not show up in the event library. 

• Reply 6 of 8
    aravinda wrote: »
    I just tried starting a new project and also starting a new event.   Each time, the computer acts like it is importing.  It says it is importing, processing and it will take "less than a minute."    At no time does it give me an error message.  But the movie does not show up in the event library. 

There's a suggestion here about iMovie marking movies as rejected:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3714663?start=0&tstart=0

"it turns out that iMovie was automatically marking the movies I was importing as "rejected" for some reason. They weren't showing up in the iMovie window (but werein the finder) because I didn't have "show all clips" marked at the bottom of the iMovie window. So, it was marking them as "rejected" and only showing movies that weren't marked as "rejected". Once I clicked to show all, they all appeared. Then, I simply unmarked them as rejected since there was nothing wrong with them in the first place."
  • Reply 7 of 8

Thanks, I tried this too.  Alas, no luck.  

• Reply 8 of 8
    aravinda wrote: »
    Thanks, I tried this too.  Alas, no luck.  

To see if it's the format that's the problem rather than iMovie itself, you can try running the files that aren't working through Handbrake:

https://handbrake.fr

That will output H.264 again but it will be a re-encoded version and different from the original. Another thing to check would be your console log in /Applications/Utilities - check to see if there are any error messages just after trying to import a movie clip.