I'm interviewing for a Mac Genius position! Answer me some questions.

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by CommonSense:

<strong>2. What's another not frequently mentioned, officially unsupported use of the iPod?</strong><hr></blockquote>

just out of curiosity, is the answer to this the fact that you can use it as an external hard drive? just curious, i don't know b/c i don't have one, so i don't really know much about them. (i don't have firewire)
  • Reply 42 of 54
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    a bootable HDD, more likely (the unsupported part)
  • Reply 43 of 54
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>It's not hard because it's complex. It's hard because it's obscure. OS X Server is something many of us will never deal with. Whereas there's a Final Cut Pro station at the Apple Store, there is no OS X Server station I'm aware of.</strong><hr></blockquote>

uh huh.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>a bootable HDD, more likely (the unsupported part)</strong><hr></blockquote>

you can boot from your ipod?!

can you do this right out of the box, or do you first have to install an os on it?

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</p>
  • Reply 45 of 54
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>

you can boot from your ipod?!

can you do this right out of the box, or do you first have to install an os on it?

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

well of course you should slap an os on it silly, unless you want to run your ibook with a dieing companies os (pixio's i mean )
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Hey, I wonder if I booted into iPod OS on my Powermac, it would be faster than OSX?

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: sizzle chest ]</p>
  • Reply 47 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by janitor:

<strong>

well of course you should slap an os on it silly, unless you want to run your ibook with a dieing companies os (pixio's i mean )</strong><hr></blockquote>

i knew you needed an os, i just didn't know if apple slapped one on there and didn't bother to tell anyone in the ads. btw: i'm not silly, you are
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Ok, now it's janitor's turn to say: "I know you are, but what am I?"
  • Reply 49 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>

just out of curiosity, is the answer to this the fact that you can use it as an external hard drive? just curious, i don't know b/c i don't have one, so i don't really know much about them. (i don't have firewire)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes. I had to kind of mangle the original question they asked me, which was "can you boot a system from the iPod?" So there -- you now know one of the questions.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    So, here's an update, if anyone's following the saga. I had the in-person interview last week. It's pretty informal; I was surprised at how informal it was, actually. It was held in the lobby of an airport hotel, and I arrived early, so I saw my interviewer talking with someone else before me. (I don't know about you, but I hate knowing of the very EXISTENCE of competition, so that wasn't my favorite feature of the whole thing.) The fact that they were so casual, and getting along so well, unsettled me more. At least until it was my turn, and I realized we were just as casual ourselves. The interview went really well, and lasted about an hour. Since the tech screening was already done, she really didn't ask me any technical questions, just stuff more along the lines of why I want to work at Apple, what my strengths/weaknesses are, etc. The usual interview stuff. No really far-out, "touchy-feely," weird, "out of left field" questions, which I feared a little (this being Apple and all).

They were interviewing 15 people at this stage, and the next stage would be the final interviews, to be held with the regional manager and the store manager. Of the 15 people in this stage, only eight would make it to the final interview step. From that eight, four Mac Geniuses would be hired.

Well, I made it to the final interview stage, and my interview is on Friday. Again, it's at an airport hotel (albeit a different one), also in the lobby. The lady I interviewed with last week was kind enough to send all of us finalists an e-mail with tips about these two people, what they like to hear, etc., as well as a separate, personalized e-mail with strengths/weaknesses about my specific interview.

So I'm hoping for the best. Having been out of a job since last August, I really need something now, and for it to be with a company I love, well . . . that's just all the better.

(Incidentally, I'm vacationing in California right now, typing this from one floor below the Glendale Galleria store. Didn't want to be TOO conspicuous about using the store's AirPort connection.)

More to come . . .

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: CommonSense ]</p>
  • Reply 51 of 54
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    Man, the whole process sounds like a new version of "Survivor"! I'm also interviewing for jobs at the moment (although not in the computer industry or retail), so I feel your stress. Hang in there! I hope you make it.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>Hey, I wonder if I booted into iPod OS on my Powermac, it would be faster than OSX?

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: sizzle chest ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

The iPod is equipped with a 2 ghz G5, so the OS would be slower than osx on your powermac.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Urgh.

Well, I had the final interview today. Again, very informal -- another hotel lobby situation, and it lasted about 45 minutes. This time, I met with the regional person (in charge of multiple stores; there's three of them right now) and the freshly hired store manager.

By and large, the questions were the standard blend of questions you get in most job interviews -- nothing really out of the ordinary. And though the tone was kind of informal, I didn't get quite the full sense of ease and comfort with these two (especially the store manager, though that could be because he's new, and probably hasn't been an "insider" at Apple for long) that I did with the interviewer at the first interview (a retail recruiting person based in St. Louis). Maybe because she was more similar to me -- a 20something, more relaxed, etc.

I'm not as certain about things after this interview. There weren't any major gaffes or anything, but I think it just comes down to that damn personality thing. It's subtle -- again, I didn't screw anything up majorly or anything like that -- but it's just that subtle sense of "clicking" you should get, which I didn't.

If my memory's correct, I'm one of eight people in this final interview process. Four of us will actually be hired as Mac Geniuses. We'll be notified by the end of next week (March 8). I'm half-expecting I won't be getting good news.

Of course, the one ray of hope is that my impressions about how an interview went have been wrong before. Hopefully this will be another instance of that.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    barvowbarvow Posts: 64member
    Well, we certainly hope your instinct IS wrong. It would really be nice to see someone go through the process and get the job. Of course, as you pointed out, it might just come down to personalities clicking.

Good luck!