Eric Schmidt says Google 'far more secure' than Apple, denies allegations of harvesting data

Comments

• Reply 21 of 193
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Google is "far more secure" and way ahead of Apple, except when the NSA comes calling or when Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn are looking for some laughs.

• Reply 22 of 193
    Tim never explicitly mentioned Google, he barely implied it, but Eric Schmidt is all over it...
  • Reply 23 of 193
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    But I thought the celebrities involved in nudegate were suing Google because they didn't do more to prevent these leaked photos from being seen. I'm sure I read that somewhere.
  • Reply 24 of 193
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Saying you're "secure" and being secure are two different things. We have a good reference point to Google's ability in securing platforms: Android.

If Google were truly competant at securing their platforms, Android wouldn't be home to more than 99% of mobile malware. If google services were so secure, then Google wouldn't be busy contacting 4,930,000 google account holders users who had their usernames and passwords posted on a russian bitcoin forum last month.

So, no, I don't consider Google secure by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Reply 25 of 193
    sflocal wrote: »
    Lies right to everyone's face and thinks we all should believe him.

So he has been in contact with the NSA!
  • Reply 26 of 193
    ecats wrote: »
    Saying you're "secure" and being secure are two different things. We have a good reference point to Google's ability in securing platforms: Android.

If Google were truly competant at securing their platforms, Android wouldn't be home to more than 99% of mobile malware. If google services were so secure, then Google wouldn't be busy contacting 4,930,000 google account holders users who had their usernames and passwords posted on a russian bitcoin forum last month.

So, no, I don't consider Google secure by any stretch of the imagination.

Right? Isn't this the SAME company that tracks my searches, my locations via its map software, my YouTube views, etc etc etc etc and Provides that information to the highest bidder?

Yea that's what I thought.
  • Reply 27 of 193

Eric Schmidt is delusional.  

He should retire.

Just ignore him.

• Reply 28 of 193
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Ba,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ah!!!!! Android has 99% malware and all kinds of ugly and you Eric call this more secure than Apple?

Really? You better check the definition of what secure is because you are not getting it at all! About as secure as Windows or probably less actually.

• Reply 29 of 193

This guy should run for public office.

• Reply 30 of 193
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

Way to go after the straw man Herr Schmidt.  The evilness of Google is not that all that personal information you gather is not secure in your servers, it's that you gather all that personal information in the first place!

• Reply 31 of 193

Steve Ballmer 2.0?

:devil:

• Reply 32 of 193
  • Reply 33 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Apple Insider would rather report on click bait then highlighting how Apple Pay works...hrumph!

How is this anyway a click bait when they're just reporting on what Schitt said?

• Reply 34 of 193
    Google security and privacy, LOLZ, Eric go google, hahaha
  • Reply 35 of 193
    Not Googles fault. Someone left the switch in the wrong position:)
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/42965/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 36 of 193
    It's so funny you didn't think I knew that. I knew that. I'm the Author of the book. I'm the former CEO for God's sake!
  • Reply 37 of 193
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by rf9 View Post

Not harvesting data? Then what do you call it? You track email content, sites visited, photos taken on Android devices (when uploaded), and criss reference that with the location of every android phone user. The you monetize it. I'm not criticizing because I willingly use Google products knowing this is done. Facebook is far worse. Even Apple dies some of this but only for diagnostic and Apple's ad platform.

Whatever it is, it is. Don't F'ing deny it when you blatantly do it.

You are Google's product, and Google's advertisers are their customers.

97% of Google's revenue comes from ads.  Never forget that.  Google certainly doesn't.

And now they're rolling out free Wi-Fi in San Francisco, so they can "cross reference" users

who don't even have Google accounts.  Vastly more efficient datamining, while pretending

that they're "helping" people.  What a bunch of weasels.

• Reply 38 of 193
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Eric Schmidt says Google 'far more secure' than Apple, denies allegations of harvesting data

He’s either a functioning psychotic or a congenital liar. Either is too dangerous to be given freedoms.

• Reply 39 of 193
    mode 5mode 5 Posts: 59member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Romans asked Schmidt what he thought about recent comments from Julian Assange, who said Google shares a business model with the U.S. National Security Agency. Schmidt attempted to extricate Google from the arguably negative comparison by saying the NSA does not have a business model because it is funded by the government.

Come on! You've got to admit this is pretty funny stuff.

Maybe, just maybe what Julian meant by "shares a business model with the U.S. National Security Agency", was that Google is engaged in the same activities of surveilling, storing and analysing personal data that the NSA is, but then again, I suppose Schmidt is correct, the NSA (hi guys :)) is funded by the government and therefor doesn't have a business model to sell that data on to any open chequebook.     

• Reply 40 of 193
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member

Eric Shmidt: Technologies Michael Bachman.