Eric Schmidt says Google 'far more secure' than Apple, denies allegations of harvesting data

Comments

• Reply 41 of 193
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

Google wheels this guy out just to create misinformation. I imagine back at headquarters they were rolling around on the floor, clutching their sides,  hardly able to breathe after that interview!

• Reply 42 of 193
    sully54sully54 Posts: 108member
    Schmidt has every right to defend his company. He's wrong but he still has that right.
  • Reply 43 of 193
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Reminds me of 'Ain't No Doubt' (Jimmy Nail).
  • Reply 44 of 193
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    If Google is not harvesting data and is more secure than ios8, then I am the pope of the church of the flaming sword. I used to use chrome, and then I found that chrome was constsntly uploading to google- even when the program was quit. Every time I opened the laptop it started uploading without it ever being opened in the first place. Tie that in with scanning emials- I do not believe you at all.

Something smells Schmidty about this claim.
  • Reply 45 of 193
    Is this guy trying to convince us or convince himself?!?!
  • Reply 46 of 193
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

There is a different between;

Spinning a (possibly) negative message with marketing speak to defense its company,

( Which Apple is really really good at )

and flat out lying.

• Reply 47 of 193
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member

Lie lie lie lie -- Liar you lie

Lie lie lie lie lie Tell me why -- Tell me why 

Why d'you have to lie

Should've realized that you

Should've told the truth

Should've realized you know what I'll do

• You're in suspension you're a liar

• Now I wanna know -- now I wanna know -- 

Why you never look me in the face

Broke a confidence just to please your ego

Should've realized you know what I know

• I know where you go everybody you know

I know everything that you do or say

So when you tell lies I always be in your way

I'm nobody's fool and I know all cos I know

What I know

• Lie lie lie liar you lie lie lie lie 

I think you're funny you're funny ha ha

I don't need it don't need your blah blah

Should've realized I know what you are

• You're in suspension you're a liar

You're a liar

You're a lie 

Lie lie lie (hear the screams "lie" by Johnny Rotten... and the laughing in his voice).

Lyrics for Liar By Sex Pistols (Google Theme Schmidt's Reprise)

• Reply 48 of 193
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    gtr wrote: »

And was spotted on the Crackberry site using a Blackberry phone. I always wonder why someone promoting the virtues of Android would use a competitors phone as his personal device?
    http://m.crackberry.com/googles-eric-schmidt-still-loves-his-blackberry-bold-9900
  • Reply 49 of 193
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
    Google Apps support HIPPA compliance: https://support.google.com/a/answer/3407054?hl=en

Google can harvest my data as it makes Google Now very powerful, which in rurn helps make my life easier to manage. It automatically informs and directs me with hotel and car rental reservations, that I should leave to an appointment by a certain time so I arrive on schedule, parcel deliveries tracking, TV shows it thinks I might like to watch, sports events and so on.

Hardware has now plateued in smart phones, its now all about the software and web services, this is where google is awesome.
  • Reply 50 of 193
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    crosslad wrote: »
    And was spotted on the Crackberry site using a Blackberry phone. I always wonder why someone promoting the virtues of Android would use a competitors phone as his personal device?
    http://m.crackberry.com/googles-eric-schmidt-still-loves-his-blackberry-bold-9900

Good Lord.

He does too.

What a schmuck!
  • Reply 51 of 193
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saltyzip View Post

Google Apps support HIPPA compliance: https://support.google.com/a/answer/3407054?hl=en

Google can harvest my data as it makes Google Now very powerful, which in rurn helps make my life easier to manage. It automatically informs and directs me with hotel and car rental reservations, that I should leave to an appointment by a certain time so I arrive on schedule, parcel deliveries tracking, TV shows it thinks I might like to watch, sports events and so on.

Hardware has now plateued in smart phones, its now all about the software and web services, this is where google is awesome.

It strikes me that people think computers are good at guessing what I want in my life. How I see it they only try to homogenize my life on the things I have already done or just a thought I had. Not what I really want or need to do. Lets not pretend like technology could run my life the way I want it. Computers dont know why I would do something. It may not be because I want or like to do it for example. It makes a quite fundamental flaw in ones way of thinking. It reduces a human to nothing else than a predictable machine which many of us are not. But again many are like that. Predictable, Mindless. Sheep.

I run MY life and technology is there ONLY to help as little as possible. NOT trying to stear me somewhere I dont want to go. The day it does not do what I expect it will fly out the window...

Sorry, I stopped using any google products a while back (yes google search also) as it seemed to me they where many times steering me in some way that I thought was filtered or non exhaustive in the results. There has been a strong change in google search results for one... which I dont like.

So please go any look at the same things you always do, buy the things you always buy, go to the places you always have been to. Just leave us others out of that.

• Reply 52 of 193
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

Remember this, Schmidt? Right after this, you ran yours ass back to Google and overhauled entire shitty android program which was developed to compete with BB and pushed to copy iOS for touch screen support. You know if you don't copy Apple iOS, your android would've been 5 years behind. You're just a cat, Schmidt, a copycat. That's why I never used Android and will not be using it in my lifetime, just like not using Samsung products.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

• Reply 53 of 193
    Big Brother has spoken.
  • Reply 54 of 193
    gtr wrote: »

Very good.

Google: Don't be evil (leave that to us).
  • Reply 55 of 193
    Eric Schmidt is delusional.  
    He should retire.
    Just ignore him.

Ignoring evil is what Satan wants you to do.
  • Reply 56 of 193
    habi wrote: »
    saltyzip wrote: »

It strikes me that people think computers are good at guessing what I want in my life. How I see it they only try to homogenize my life on the things I have already done or just a thought I had. Not what I really want or need to do. Lets not pretend like technology could run my life the way I want it. Computers dont know why I would do something. It may not be because I want or like to do it for example. It makes a quite fundamental flaw in ones way of thinking. It reduces a human to nothing else than a predictable machine which many of us are not. But again many are like that. Predictable, Mindless. Sheep.

I run MY life and technology is there ONLY to help as little as possible. NOT trying to stear me somewhere I dont want to go. The day it does not do what I expect it will fly out the window...

Sorry, I stopped using any google products a while back (yes google search also) as it seemed to me they where many times steering me in some way that I thought was filtered or non exhaustive in the results. There has been a strong change in google search results for one... which I dont like.

So please go any look at the same things you always do, buy the things you always buy, go to the places you always have been to. Just leave us others out of that.

Great post.

I would apply it to music streaming. I don't necessarily want to listen to music similar to the track I'm listening to; I want something completely different
  • Reply 57 of 193
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    The Google is evil and lies because the Google did help the nsa and government law. The Google is very old software company. I don't like the Google CEO Eric Schmidt's lies and evil from his mouth.
  • Reply 58 of 193
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Here is a story that is still being written. I have gmail and have had it for years. When I opened it I had a mobile phone and after being pestered constantly by Google to enter the number for some purpose that was never clear, I did. After a year or so the number was no longer current because I had let that phone account become inactive for too long. Google began pestering me again to "confirm" that that was my number -- the number was now highlighted in red -- still or to enter a current number. I didn't -- simply because I currently don't have a mobile phone. Suddenly gmail was inaccessible, and has been for months now. The only way to restore it was to give them a phone number that I don't have. How did Google know that a number in another country was no longer current unless they sold that information to someone and the number was rung and it was found that it was inactive? I still don't have access to my mail.

Also, I have Picassa — they want to update it with a "public beta" but to do so one has to enter the root password. I'm not going to do that. There is no option to say don't ask me again. So the pestering is continuous.

This same strategy was used by Google in YouTube. They pestered users who had YouTube accounts to change the user name of the account so that it was a real, confirmable name. There was no option to say "don't ask me again". They simply pestered users to change until they gave in — if the user did not want to provide real confirmable information then the account became inoperative — as mine currently is. This was clearly part of a strategy to herd reluctant users to Google+ accounts.

The Google idea is "give us your information, with the level of detail that we demand, or lose access to your information". Google is now at the stage of insisting that we give them the data they need to harvest and sell. Completely f%^&ing evil company. I am moving away from them for all my needs.

• Reply 59 of 193
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saltyzip View Post

Wow, and they say Apple users are cultish... You don't have to give your life away to have a "simpler" life. There are other ways.

I prefer keeping control of my data, even my life is very slightly less easy... BTW, I've got so much experience in systems and software, that I could run my own server farm with my own slew of self built/adapted from open source services. But, I prefer spending my free time with my family instead :-).  Still I got nothing of great worth is on any cloud servers, they stay on my own devices and servers...

OK, yes, I have a few servers, but they don't duplicate Apple services exactly... ;-).

• Reply 60 of 193
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Apple: "We are not in the business of collecting your data." (Eddy Cue, 9/9/2014)

Google: [nervous fidgeting, crickets chirping ...]