Eric Schmidt says Google 'far more secure' than Apple, denies allegations of harvesting data

Comments

• Reply 81 of 193
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    b9bot wrote: »
    Ba,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ah!!!!! Android has 99% malware and all kinds of ugly and you Eric call this more secure than Apple?
    Really? You better check the definition of what secure is because you are not getting it at all! About as secure as Windows or probably less actually.

Where does it say anything about Android?
  • Reply 82 of 193
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Right. Then tell us how all those gmail accounts got hacked by China, and how Google was communicating with the NSA to investigate the attack. That was in all in the news. It simply lacks credibility for him to say that Google never talked to the NSA. This guy is an a used tampon.
  • Reply 83 of 193
    LMAO He just pulled another Ballmer. I love these guys%u2014so much comedy!
  • Reply 84 of 193
    jdocjdoc Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I see you tossing around a lot of insinuations that Google Apps/Cloud are not made HIPAA-compliant when Google and the heath care provider enter into a BAA, or that Google won't accept any responsibility. Any evidence that they aren't? What about Apple services, HIPAA-compliant?

From Google's website:

Google has sought and received security certifications such as FISMAISO 27001, and SSAE 16. For customers who are subject to the requirements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Google Apps can also support HIPAA compliance.

NONE of these organizations listed are affiliated with the office of the HHS.  That's the deceptive part of Google's 'advertising'.  Unless we see 'approved by HHS' in some manner, it's not HIPAA compliant.

Again, from their website:

Google Apps customers are responsible for determining whether they are subject to HIPAA requirements and whether they use or intend to use Google services in connection with PHI.

If you read Google's BAA, they expound upon this potential liability, and place the onus upon the customer to describe what 'HIPAA requirements' are.  Notice, Google never attempts to define what HIPAA compliance is to Google, so implicitly they can apply whatever standards the customer has on HIPAA compliance to their products- they are free to develop their own landscape.  If you can get your hands on one of their BAA's, you'll see this.

Regarding Apple:  Apple isn't in the business of HIPAA compliance.  So I'm not quite sure what services you're referring to.

• Reply 85 of 193
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    So, to be clear here, and I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you on this specific issue but obviously ... You do post on AI specifically and for the sole purpose of being an advocate for Google.

Anything I missed?

Yup, your first sentence. I don't advocate/promote Google, particularly over any competing Apple product.

If someone posts something obviously incorrect, whether by accident or FUD, and I happen to have more accurate information I'll post it. That's not just on subjects involving Google either. Apparently those are the only ones you notice tho. I would think having the facts right would be more important than making up reasons to dislike another company. Wouldn't you rather know the truth, good or bad, than go on believing something untrue? It's not that hard to find REAL things to bash Google with (or anyone else for that matter) instead of making some up or repeating someone else's flawed information.

Otherwise you won't find posts from me saying anyone should be using Android, Google, Microsoft or anyone else's products or services instead of an Apple one. I think you're just seeing what you wish to believe.
  • Reply 86 of 193
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member

Of course he will not admit that Google and NSA have worked together. Who would!

• Reply 87 of 193
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdoc View Post

Exactly- they know that cloud services aren't as secure as they need to be (yet).  They don't want the liability, and they certainly don't want to pass the liability to their clients, like Google does.  But Apple just secured a huge presence in the healthcare space with HealthKit.  The customer now has the responsibility and option to relay healthcare information between them and their providers/healthsystems.  What's more is, Apple collects NONE of this data.  Their partnership with Epic EHR demonstrates this capability, specifically through Epic's 'MyChart' module.  Information isn't saved on Apples servers- it's saved on Epic's servers (which ARE HIPAA compliant), and placed there by either the patient or his/her provider.  Apple NEVER has access to this data.

Do iCloud backups not back up HealthKit apps?

• Reply 88 of 193
    jdocjdoc Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Do iCloud backups not back up HealthKit apps?

From Apple's website:

You are in charge of your data.

The Health app lets you keep all your health and fitness information in one place on your device and under your control. The information you generate about yourself is yours to use and share. You decide what information is placed in Health and which apps can access your data through the Health app. When your phone is locked with a passcode or Touch ID, all of your health and fitness data in the Health app is encrypted. You can back up data stored in the Health app to iCloud, where it is encrypted while in transit and at rest. Apps that access HealthKit are required to have a privacy policy, so be sure to review these policies before providing apps with access to your health and fitness data.

It's all encrypted- Apple is blind to your data.

• Reply 89 of 193
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

If Google is not harvesting data and is more secure than ios8, then I am the pope of the church of the flaming sword. I used to use chrome, and then I found that chrome was constsntly uploading to google- even when the program was quit. Every time I opened the laptop it started uploading without it ever being opened in the first place. Tie that in with scanning emials- I do not believe you at all.

Something smells Schmidty about this claim.

People at the Hospital I work for keep downloading chrome against company policy. They keep having to remove it.  IT showed me the back ground server that is always running in the background and interferes with our servers. And no, Chrome does not have to be running.  About a year ago Google modified the code so they couldn't block the chrome downloads without essentially blocking access to the internet on the computers.  Sounds like spyware to me.

• Reply 90 of 193
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECats View Post

Saying you're "secure" and being secure are two different things. We have a good reference point to Google's ability in securing platforms: Android.

If Google were truly competant at securing their platforms, Android wouldn't be home to more than 99% of mobile malware. If google services were so secure, then Google wouldn't be busy contacting 4,930,000 google account holders users who had their usernames and passwords posted on a russian bitcoin forum last month.

So, no, I don't consider Google secure by any stretch of the imagination.

Misses the point somewhat. There's a pretty big difference between something like Android, where Google can't update devices even if they want to, and an internal datacenter that you can just push changes to non-stop.

• Reply 91 of 193
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am not taking one side or the other but ... 'AI Readers' ... really? Way to generalize.

Yeah, of course you're right, but "in general, AppleInsider readers take the side of either party who is lower on their Apple-hates-em list", the first of which would include Assange unless he criticises Apple.

• Reply 92 of 193
    genovelle wrote: »
    People at the Hospital I work for keep downloading chrome against company policy. They keep having to remove it.  IT showed me the back ground server that is always running in the background and interferes with our servers. And no, Chrome does not have to be running.  About a year ago Google modified the code so they couldn't block the chrome downloads without essentially blocking access to the internet on the computers.  Sounds like spyware to me.

You can search the web, even use Bing if you're suspicious of the result, to understand why Chrome "phones home". You should try it rather than guessing what the reasons are.
  • Reply 93 of 193
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

Yeah, of course you're right, but "in general, AppleInsider readers take the side of either party who is lower on their Apple-hates-em list", the first of which would include Assange unless he criticises Apple.

LOL, that made my morning. Cheers.
  • Reply 94 of 193
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

And was spotted on the Crackberry site using a Blackberry phone. I always wonder why someone promoting the virtues of Android would use a competitors phone as his personal device?

http://m.crackberry.com/googles-eric-schmidt-still-loves-his-blackberry-bold-9900

If it is not broken, don't fix it?

• Reply 95 of 193
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Yup, your first sentence. I don't advocate/promote Google, particularly over any competing Apple product.

If someone posts something obviously incorrect, whether by accident or FUD, and I happen to have more accurate information I'll post it. That's not just on subjects involving Google either. Apparently those are the only ones you notice tho. I would think having the facts right would be more important than making up reasons to dislike another company. Wouldn't you rather know the truth, good or bad, than go on believing something untrue? It's not that hard to find REAL things to bash Google with (or anyone else for that matter) instead of making some up or repeating someone else's flawed information.

Otherwise you won't find posts from me saying anyone should be using Android, Google, Microsoft or anyone else's products or services instead of an Apple one. I think you're just seeing what you wish to believe.

OK then, care to list the posts where you take the opposite view, where you totally come out supporting Apple in an Apple vs Google thread? If your sole reason for the hundreds of hours you write on AI is to prevent FUD there must be a good percentage of those posts supporting the Apple side, a lot more I would think.

Also, out of curiously do you post on a pro Google fan site where you spend your time defending Apple when the FUD falls the Google direction? if so please post the URL.
  • Reply 96 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saltyzip View Post

Google Apps support HIPPA compliance: https://support.google.com/a/answer/3407054?hl=en

Google can harvest my data as it makes Google Now very powerful, which in rurn helps make my life easier to manage. It automatically informs and directs me with hotel and car rental reservations, that I should leave to an appointment by a certain time so I arrive on schedule, parcel deliveries tracking, TV shows it thinks I might like to watch, sports events and so on.

Hardware has now plateued in smart phones, its now all about the software and web services, this is where google is awesome.

That is not powerful, that is intrusive. Because they are using whatever you do in your private life to market to you. They also force you to sign in to their services to use your device which is comical to me. Once you sign in to any one of them you are signed in to all of them. On any device they have linked to you.  You have to go to the main site to sign out though.  I find it comical that people who complain about the NSA spying on them and preventing a multitude of attacks on this country every year is all giddy that Google does far more digging because they are creating a file on your activities. This also means they can not say the data belongs to you and can not access it because they have appropriated it and used it for their purpose.  The Apple store has had Apps that offer the features you not for years and some I use. Siri also offers some of this, but its by my choice.  I love that iOS will now inform me when apps maintain access to data like location in the background and ask if I want that. Google would never do that because they don't want you to realize how much they are watching you.   

• Reply 97 of 193
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Google's systems are "far more secure" than anything Apple has.

So, Google makes an "Open OS" in which everyone has access to anything the cell phone can do; and claims it's "far more secure" than a proprietary OS, running sandboxed applications, on proprietary hardware? In Schmidt's world, is Ebola some healthy elixer that promotes health, life and well being?

• Reply 98 of 193
    OK then, care to list the posts where you take the opposite view, where you totally come out supporting Apple in an Apple vs Google thread? If your sole reason for the hundreds of hours you write on AI is to prevent FUD there must be a good percentage of those posts supporting the Apple side, a lot more I would think.

Also, out of curiously do you post on a pro Google fan site where you spend your time defending Apple when the FUD falls the Google direction? if so please post the URL.

I don't "support" either one over the other. But as an example of my own Google-bashing I've brought up their indefensible bypassing of Safari user settings on several occasions. It was plainly wrong. In some other threads I've said more than once that Google's "inadvertent" collection of assorted information via Streetview cars was not any accident in my opinion. Another black-mark on Google. I'm also not a fan of the automatic Google+ accounts either and consider it being a little too pushy into my life, tho Google has finally come to the realization that folks don't like 'em for that and now discontinuing it.

As far as correcting misinformation about Apple I've done that too here when no one bothered to do so or failed to notice it. Further do you think there's a shortage of Apple fans willing to set the record straight at other sites when Androiders post FUD? Hardly. If you don't do so yourself I'd be disappointed. The Apple Army is strong and there's a whole slew of bloggers Apple can communicate thru as you're well aware of.
  • Reply 99 of 193
    adonissmu wrote: »
    Apple Insider would rather report on click bait then highlighting how Apple Pay works...hrumph!

You noticed that too ...
  • Reply 100 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

From February: Google cloud gets on board with HIPAA

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/google-cloud-gets-board-hipaa

Your link is misleading.  Google's cloud platform can be HIPAA  Compliant.  "To serve developers who want to build these applications on Google's infrastructure, we're announcing support for business associates agreements for our customers,"  This is for companies who choose to signup for a paid service and build custom apps and use Googles Server product. It does not include any free products including Chrome which is why it is banned from use on my Hospitals computers.