Apple's iOS 8 update breaks Bluetooth car connections, fix may be coming with iOS 8.1

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
Apple's iOS 8 update released last month has created major problems for users who connect their iPhone to their car's stereo system via Bluetooth, but there are indications that a fix may be on the way with the upcoming iOS 8.1 update.

Siri Eyes Free

Since iOS 8 became available in September, users have been posting in a growing thread on the Apple Support Communities website to voice their frustration with the apparent bug. The issue appears to apply to a wide range of vehicle Bluetooth systems, from manufacturers including Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and even aftermarket stereo systems.

AppleInsider has also experienced the issue firsthand with certain vehicles. Starting with iOS 8, devices would show that they were connected to the car and the system would attempt to dial, but no sound comes through the vehicle's speakers.

Users report that iOS 8 has also introduced problems when attempting to play music, podcasts or other audio through the vehicle's speakers.

While the problems were apparently not addressed by Apple's iOS 8.0.2 update, users who are testing the forthcoming iOS 8.1 update say the beta software appears to fix the problem. As iOS 8.1 remains in private developer testing and is not available to the public, it's unknown whether the software will indeed address the issues for the wide range of users who began to experience problems with iOS 8.0.

In the meantime, some users said that they were able to fix the problem by resetting their iPhone's settings. Unfortunately, doing so has its own separate bug: Currently, choosing the "Reset All Settings" option in iOS 8 will delete iCloud Drive data.

In addition, users posting on Apple's forums indicated that while resetting their iPhone's settings did fix the problem, the solution appears to only be temporary for some. Still others said that Bluetooth will temporarily function as expected, only to stop working again.

"So I had two random days of bluetooth working for no reason. This morning, it no longer works," user 'Skape4321' wrote. "Certainly strange that it seems to pick random days to function properly."

Apple's iOS 8.1 update is expected to arrive this month, likely enabling the new Apple Pay feature that will be exclusive to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus at launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    Quick, trash the stock again! /s
  • Reply 2 of 103
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Not doubting that there is a problem but thankfully there is no problem connecting my iPhone 4s to my Mini!
  • Reply 3 of 103
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

8.0.2 works for me in my Leaf. Neither 8.0 had any problem.

• Reply 4 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quick, trash the stock again! /s

Done. It's down 0.15%. ????

• Reply 5 of 103
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member

Interesting.  Have had no issues on calling or playing music in both of our VW Jetta Sportwagens (2013) over BT with two iPhone 6 and an iPhone 6 plus with 8.0 and 8.0.2, when I go into the Music app and choose something, but I did notice that when it connects, and I switch to BT media player, it would not automatically go back to whatever was last played, or if nothing, to some random song from the library, like it used to.   At least without a 30-60 second pause before finally figuring out something to play.    

• Reply 6 of 103
    I have a 2014 Honda CR-V. My Apple iPhone 6 Plus is running iOS 8.0.2, and it's a little screwy with BT. After pairing with the phone, the car display shows "No device connected", though I can make and receive calls via Siri on the car's hands-free. However, my music plays on my phone and not through the car's speakers.
  • Reply 7 of 103
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I like how the media nearly ignores REAL Apple failings (bugs)--it reports them, but they get no lasting attention beyond a few tech-niche blogs and podcasts.

But fictions like "iPhones bend in your pocket!!!1!" and "celebrity photos stolen from Android phones are still Apple's fault!!" echo forever and seep into the public consciousness...

That said, I'm not sure these recent bugs are TRULY on some whole other level from what other companies--and Apple themselves--have always let slip through occasionally over the years. It always FEELS new every time a big bug drops (8.0.1 lasted only a few hours but it was BIG!) and it's never acceptable... but a new dire trend? Stepping back a bit--I think not.

Not that it matters to me... I'm not a x.0 user of any company's products, and won't have an iPhone 6 for weeks!
  • Reply 8 of 103
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jason98 wrote: »
    8.0.2 works for me in my Leaf. Neither 8.0 had any problem.

Artist's rendition…

• Reply 9 of 103

Got to say, Apple needs to stop being so sloppy (8.0.1). Test this stuff more, its the Apple way.

I say this as an iPhone 3G,4,6 Plus owner, iPad 2 owner, and Macbook Retina mid-2012 owner (of course Apple burned me on the Macbook Retina screen IR). 

All in all, great products.

• Reply 10 of 103
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nagromme wrote: »
    I like how the media nearly ignores REAL Apple failings (bugs)--it reports them, but they get no lasting attention beyond a few tech-niche blogs and podcasts.

I think it's like most things in life, people can only react to things they at least feel they understand. Just consider how the average person talked about the celebrity photo breach more than Apple's actual Go To Fail bug earlier this year. Higgs boson? Who cares. God particle? OMG, scientists have gone too far!¡!¡!¡
  • Reply 11 of 103
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

In BMWs hit the media button once to flip to radio, then again to go back to the iphone and audio recovers.  Sucks but at least its a workaround.

• Reply 12 of 103

No one I know has had a problem.   Both my Opel and my wife's Nissan connect without a problem.  Many other friends with different cars and models similarly report no issues.

• Reply 13 of 103
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    No issues with my iPhone 6 (8.0.2) and my '13 Jetta Sportwagen. Also works fine in my wife's '13 Elantra (with my iPhone 6 and her iPhone 5).
  • Reply 14 of 103
    Every phone v6 or just a few ?
  • Reply 15 of 103
    I know it is completely anecdotal but:

We have two sixes and one six+. All three are working fine with our (piece of crap) MyFordTouch/SYNC - and mine works fine with my third party device I use in my pickup truck.

Worked fine with 8.0 and now with 8.0.2

Sure - just three phones and two vehicles, but for what it's worth ours are working fine.
  • Reply 16 of 103

I've had dropped calls when answering and also unable to browse media (the button doesn't even show up) on my Lexus. If I have a podcast already 'now playing' on the phone then the system will pick it up and play but once you get to the end there is no way to select something else.

• Reply 17 of 103

I have an iPhone 5s running 8.0.2 and a stock 2012 Toyota Corolla stereo I connect to via Bluetooth. I installed the update and the connection was broken. I turned my car and my phone off and back on again and it works perfectly every time.

• Reply 18 of 103
    I have a 2013 Ford F-150 with their SYNC entertainment system, I'm having no problems whatsoever with music or phone calls over Bluetooth with an iPhone 6 & iOS 8.0.2
  • Reply 19 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

I've had dropped calls when answering and also unable to browse media (the button doesn't even show up) on my Lexus. If I have a podcast already 'now playing' on the phone then the system will pick it up and play but once you get to the end there is no way to select something else.

I've got a 2006 IS 250, and it seems to be working fine for me.  First attempt after going to 8.0.2 it dropped the call before I could answer, but has been working fine since.  Haven't tried a podcast/music yet though.  I've only used it for calls.

• Reply 20 of 103
    I've had no issues in my 2013 A4.