Apple's iOS 8 update breaks Bluetooth car connections, fix may be coming with iOS 8.1

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103

Yeah, Siri is flaky on my 2014 BMW with the 6+, it either doesn't disconnect or cuts off before it's done. I don't have music  audio issues. Really not the end of the world. Frankly I figured it was iDrive that needed an update. 

• Reply 42 of 103
    looplessloopless Posts: 329member

8.0.2 works fine - (actually much better than iOS 7) on both 2010 GTI and 2013 Dodge RAM

• Reply 43 of 103
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member

iPhone 6 in my wife's Fiesta - nary a problem.

• Reply 44 of 103
    Audi 5s with iOS 8.0.2 working just fine for me, for calls/music.

That's not to say I don't have many issues with iOS 8.0.x. It's a sloppy release this time from Apple, and not what I expected of them. But, not preventing me using the phone.
  • Reply 45 of 103
    Posts on Apple forums have also pointed out that connectivity with hearing aids that rely on low-power bluetooth have also been affected with IOS8 (to which I can attest). To a degree, IOS8.02 have fixed some but not all issues. Furthermore, hearing aid users who have upgraded to iPhone6 and 6 report additional issues with hearing aid connectivity with IOS8.01 that they didn't have with their iPhone5s running IOS8.02. Apple says they are aware (as I'm sure they are by now). However, I find it more and more difficult to report issues to Apple than in the past.
  • Reply 46 of 103
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Huh.  I used blue tooth in my car today with my 5s and it doesn't have any problems under 8.0.2.

• Reply 47 of 103

Actually, I'd been having issues with Bluetooth since iOS 7.1. My turn-by-turn directions would get chopped off mid-sentence unless I had streaming music playing at the same time.

iOS 8 actually fixed that issue, but the Bluetooth connection with my 2012 Mazda3 has been acting weird. And it has continued after updating to 8.0.2.

No persistent issues, just things happening at random. Like when I had a music video lined up, the momentary pause between the commercial and the music track caused the audio track to drop and my car to go back into search mode. The iPhone wound up resyncing with the car as a phone, not as an audio device and it sounded horrible. I restarted the app, and it played back as an audio device like normal the second time. And if I have music playing and have an incoming call or place a call, the audio will drop and the car will go back into search mode. It only takes a few seconds to resync, it is an interruption and the handoff between the audio streaming and phone modes is not seamless.

• Reply 48 of 103
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

No issues with Uconnect in my Jeep with 8.0 betas, 8.0 release, 8.0.1, 8.0.2, or 8.1 beta now.

Maybe its the shitty firmware in most cars, and not iOS. Unfortunately its on Apple to make sure it works, because you know car manufacturer's aren't updating squat.

• Reply 49 of 103
    woochifer wrote: »
    Actually, I'd been having issues with Bluetooth since iOS 7.1. My turn-by-turn directions would get chopped off mid-sentence unless I had streaming music playing at the same time.

iOS 8 actually fixed that issue, but the Bluetooth connection with my 2012 Mazda3 has been acting weird. And it has continued after updating to 8.0.2.

No persistent issues, just things happening at random. Like when I had a music video lined up, the momentary pause between the commercial and the music track caused the audio track to drop and my car to go back into search mode. The iPhone wound up resyncing with the car as a phone, not as an audio device and it sounded horrible. I restarted the app, and it played back as an audio device like normal the second time. And if I have music playing and have an incoming call or place a call, the audio will drop and the car will go back into search mode. It only takes a few seconds to resync, it is an interruption and the handoff between the audio streaming and phone modes is not seamless.

I solve these problems by not needing directions, not watching music videos and not taking calls whilst driving.

Still, I hope they get sorted out for you.
  • Reply 50 of 103
    Hey Apple, why don't call it iOS 10, like Microsoft did with Windows, since you're following their business model and having problems with version 8.x and all. Just sayin'.
  • Reply 51 of 103
    laynglayng Posts: 11member
    No problem on my Audi.
  • Reply 52 of 103
    Bluetooth connectivity issue resolved, might be temporary but here's how:

I have a 2014 Acura RLX and an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.0.2(12A405). The following steps remedied my issue:

Sign OUT OF iCloud. To do this execute the following from your iPhone 6 / iPhone 6+ :
    Settings>iCloud
    Scroll to the bottom and tap Sign Out

I tested after executing the above two ways: called my iPhone 6 with my corporate iPhone 5 and answer/hang up occurred flawlessly. Had a family member, who has an iPhone 6, phone me and answer/hang up occurred flawlessly as though I never had any issues -- no audio issues as well. If you try this, I hope it works for you as well.

Looks like being signed into iCloud is the culprit in this instance however I SHOULD NOT have to sign out of iCloud in order to be able to connect flawlessly with HandsfreeLink Bluetooth, I take this as a temp fix. Why do I state this: my corporate iPhone 5 with iOS 8.0.2(12A405) connects without me signing out of iCloud and sends/receives phone calls with out any issues - not even a call drop! Hopefully 8.1 will fix things....
  • Reply 53 of 103

Ever since installing the iOS 8.0.1 and then iOS 8.0.2 the blue tooth connections with my 4s phones has been intermittent and undependable on my 2013 Ford Fusion with MyFordTouch. The phone would pair and then disconnect. When connected, it wouldn't accept incoming calls. One time is insisted that I had missed a call (which I'd received earlier in the day on my phone when I was even in the car) and then continued to demand I answer or ignore the call, but it wouldn't respond to either of the commands.  I had to turn the phone and the car off.  Sloppy work at Apple on this update.

• Reply 54 of 103
    To me they are rushing software out to strict timescales and the QC is suffering. My VPN is still broken since the initial upgrade. As for OSX...dont get me started....
  • Reply 55 of 103
    No problem in my '13 merc ml or my wifes '14 merc glk
  • Reply 56 of 103
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    morgajx wrote: »
    To me they are rushing software out to strict timescales and the QC is suffering. My VPN is still broken since the initial upgrade. As for OSX...dont get me started....

To say quality control is suffering is wrong. They are falling short of meeting deadlines (inexplicably) and releasing unfinished software. iOS 8 launch is missing features promised in JUNE, and Yosemite is no where near as mature as it should be. Photos App not coming til 2015? iCloud Photo Library a total mystery? I'm not impressed by their ability to keep up this year. Especially since they managed to not release anything of significance from Oct. '13 to Sept '14.
  • Reply 57 of 103
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pmz wrote: »
    They are falling short of meeting deadlines

Sure, and this isn't a new thing with Apple. It happened under Jobs and it will surely happen again
    (inexplicably)

I'm sure there are a plethora of legitimate reasons that have always led to their delays. I wouldn't put our lack of verifiable knowledge into the category of inexplicable otherwise that category gets infinity huge and as a result, pointless.
    and releasing unfinished software.

If you define unfinished as having bugs then what SW really is finished? At times there are more critical bugs or a lack of Apple-ish polish on features (like their phone calls on the Mac feature which I previously broke down into 4 specific un-Apple-like areas, half of which I'd think were easy to resolve).
    iOS 8 launch is missing features promised in JUNE,

What features are those? I don't doubt you this does happen (see: Resolution Independence in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger) but I can't recall a single iOS 8 feature not being present from their demo at WWDC.
    and Yosemite is no where near as mature as it should be.

The word should always gives me pause in these types of comments. I think you have a valid argument for both, "where I would like Yosemite to be," and "where I would think Apple would want Yosemite to be," but not should.
    Photos App not coming til 2015?

Like other features (see: FaceTime over Cellular) there are going to be delays but they did change their site to reflect the delay so I'm not sure why we should consider this an issue.
    iCloud Photo Library a total mystery?

I'm not even sure what that is. Did they promise that at WWDC? If so, I'd think that would tie into Photos. I am liking how iCloud.com is shaping up to be full featured interface, but it still needs iTunes (as well as iOS needs a way for me to edit and delete items in the Music app without heading to a Mac/PC to do it.)
    Especially since they managed to not release anything of significance from Oct. '13 to Sept '14.

1) Nothing significant?!?!?!?! First of all, October 2013 and September 2014 were amazing months with a huge number of new and improved products. I don't think it's fair to think that Apple should have amazing new devices more than a couple times a year even though I personally wish they were more spaced out. WWDC saw some amazing new things which I consider to be released when talking about developer facing products. Swift and Metal for example.

2) Let's consider that Apple is working on this stuff yea-rround. The A-series, M-series, and S-series chips all the way up to the finished products.

3) Would you want Apple to deliver more products just to fill some gap? I'd think not since you already think they are releasing both unfinished and past deadlines. The only thing that would bring back what I can only describe as the "glory days" of Apple is to get rid of all that other stuff that splits Apple's focus. That would mean no device running iOS, which also means no ?Pay, and of course we have to get rid of the ?Watch. If they only stuck with Macs it would be much easier to keep it all on track, right?
  • Reply 58 of 103
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Parrot MKi 9200 car kit. Problem exactly as AI reports remains
  • Reply 59 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ratmat2000 View Post

Zero problems with BMW 535i on 8.0.2 or 8.0 and no problems since iOS 6. The reports of massive car failures are bull.

Oh, good. We thought the pages and pages of reports from users having problems were indicative of a software problem, but now that we know YOUR system is working we can put it to rest.

Thanks for the helpful input.

:no:

• Reply 60 of 103

Glad to know that it wasn't just me that was having issues, my '09 BWM 328i has been having Bluetooth connection issues with my 5s since I updated (it would have issues dialing using the steering wheel controls, sometimes it would dial and not connect audio through the speakers, and other times it would randomly display on my nav system that it was dialing unknown numbers when turning on the car but not be dialing anything and the only way to stop it was to turn bluetooth off).  What was strange to me was that my wife's 5s was not having any issues with the car so I thought it was just my phone.  Hopefully the next update fixes these issues *crosses fingers*