Samsung Galaxy Note 4 delivers poor graphics performance vs. Apple iPhone 6 Plus

1568101113

Comments

  • Reply 141 of 247
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

     

     

     

    Hmmm, let me see, I'll need to look for some large ones but here is a small serious of flowers that are pretty. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9117381FE9E7ABEB!30446&authkey=!AFDbY433NyV17kY&ithint=folder,

     

    If you view the page with desktop mode you will get the shot info.


     

    The 1020 is a massively slow shooter (slow to start, slow to get a shot off and slow in between shoots, this is a major ease of use point in a camera) and well the shooting app itself sucks ass (not mentioning video here). That's the main reason that its not the best camera. If you were shooting a panorama or still lives, 1020 is very good (though a real camera would me much much better), otherwise, not such a good camera at all! I've got a lot of years of camera use behind me :-). Besides resolution, the 6 and 6+ camera are pretty close to the 1020 in picture quality considering all its other advantages.

  • Reply 142 of 247
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,991member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by noteasilyswayed View Post

     

    I look at the chart, and see that the Snapdragon 805 (U.S. version of the Note 4 processor) is curiously missing. Was there no unit to test? Or did the outcome of the test muddy the waters of your comparison, and therefore dropped from the chart? If you are going to compare apples to...........


     

    ...or is this an article about Samsung being not very good at designing and making their own chips?

  • Reply 143 of 247
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,991member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    I care more about user experience than benchmarks. Apple's problem isn't hardware where no one can touch them right now. It's the software that needs work. As much as Steve Jobs said Apple was a software company I still think hardware is where they've really excelled. I'd love to see Apple take a year and really refine and polish iOS. Fix the bugs. Take some of what they've done in Yosemite from a UI perspective and bring that to iOS. Especially the dark theme. There's not much missing feature wise (though I'd love to see Siri opened up to 3rd party developers) so it's a good time for a version of Snow-iOS. Maybe that's what iOS 8.5 or 9 will be.

     

    I gave an example of user experience, opening a pdf phone bill in a phone companies app on an S5 and an iPhone.

     

    Chalk and cheese the iOS version worked a hell of a lot better on any iPhone.

  • Reply 144 of 247
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,991member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    I was with you till the MP comment, which I read in contexts as meaning 8 is enough (if you didn't mean that we are on the same page). That old '8MP is all you need' meme is getting old. Having spent the weekend cropping down 20.2MP RAW images of wild life taken of a Canon 70D with a Canon 100-400mm L IS USM lens so critters fill the frame and still holding amazing resolution, I can assure anyone holding onto the '8MP Myth' that starting with more than 8MP is very useful.

     

    You weren't using a sub quarter inch sensor...

     

    ...irrelevent...

     

    ...next.

  • Reply 145 of 247
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,991member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by prettycool View Post



    I call bs on this if you are going to do a real comparison than you do it with the Qualcomm's snapdragon 805 which is on the note 4! The exynos5 is on the note edge! Do a real comparison this was a joke!

     

    Another one falls into the trap.

     

    This is about Samsung's chips, not Qualcomm's.

  • Reply 146 of 247
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

     



    Yet another typical snide response from DED/Corrections/Prince McClean....

  • Reply 147 of 247
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    I’m of the belief that quantum dot displays will be the next mainstream technology. Apple-related link.

    Oh yeah OLED is nothing. it's just what's consumer-available. There's display tech out there that is far more advanced. I remember Canon were working on a display almost a decade ago that was more advanced than what we have now. For legal reasons they couldn't release it.

    I wouldn't mind Apple working with Canon, they know clarity.
  • Reply 148 of 247
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

     

     

    ...or is this an article about Samsung being not very good at designing and making their own chips?


    If you are going to compare the galaxy note 4, then use the proper chip to compare to. The American version of the Note 4's cpu is missing, and I find that suspect. Your argument has NOTHING to do with my statement.

  • Reply 149 of 247
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,991member
    This article reminds me of one of those ant lion traps, little snapdragon loving ants spiralling down into the jaws.

    Well done DED, telling it like it is.
  • Reply 150 of 247
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 7,149member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

     



    Someday, when computing is ubiquitous, perhaps we'll transcend the reductionist focus on processor speed benchmarks as a linear measure of "better" and focus on the qualities of the entire product such as features and experience. Apple achieved this with the iPod Nano (who even cares what chipset it uses?), and I hope the Apple Watch will sit on the same side of sanity. But as long as tech websites continue to treat smart watches as nothing but another touchscreen device strapped to your wrist, the focus on benchmarks will continue.




    I wish, but not likely. There is a certain segment of humanity that cannot accept the opinions of others as worthwhile or valid, if not on computers then automobiles, fishing gear, stereo equipment, et al. They will find a way to ‘prove’ they are right and you are wrong. That’s where benchmarks come in. They can be presented as objective evidence while the ‘total experience’ is anathema.

  • Reply 151 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

     

     

    The 1020 is a massively slow shooter (slow to start, slow to get a shot off and slow in between shoots, this is a major ease of use point in a camera) and well the shooting app itself sucks ass (not mentioning video here). That's the main reason that its not the best camera. If you were shooting a panorama or still lives, 1020 is very good (though a real camera would me much much better), otherwise, not such a good camera at all! I've got a lot of years of camera use behind me :-). Besides resolution, the 6 and 6+ camera are pretty close to the 1020 in picture quality considering all its other advantages.


     

    Exactly. The iPhone 6/6P is fast, easy and takes pretty damn good shots for a smartphone.

     

    If I was going to put up with the 1020 to try and get better shots than a simple "point & shoot camera/phone" then I'd use my D700. Only 12MP, but it'll kill the 41MP of the 1020.

     

    And I sure as hell won't put up with the rest of the 1020 as a phone just for the camera.

  • Reply 152 of 247
    I dont know what country you guys are in but here in America our Note 4 comes with a 2.7Ghz Snapdragon 805 which destroys the iphone 6. Why dont you specify that the Note your reffering to is only available to a small market somewhere in Asia or UK. Note 4 (US) is the most powerful phablet to date.
  • Reply 153 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post





    No. New media loves money and few companies are willing to pay for positive reviews.

     

     

     

    I thought all of Samsung's marketing money was tied up in paying students and developers for positive reviews (and to bad-mouth the competition):

     

    http://fortune.com/2013/10/24/samsung-fined-340000-for-astroturfing-in-taiwan/

    http://blog.gsmarena.com/developer-offered-payment-to-astroturf-for-samsung-on-stack-overflow/

  • Reply 154 of 247
    This article illustrates my problem with Apple Insider. It has become a fanboy site. I'm a fan of both Apple and Samsung, and my job offers me the luxury of having both platforms. This article takes raw numbers and makes a poor conclusion about normal use implications. There isn't a game the Note 4 can't play. I feel like we need to realize that hardware is outpacing software. What is the purpose of this article. It read like a fanboy comment on YouTube. Furthermore, this test was of the less common model of the Note, rather than the Qualcomm model.
  • Reply 155 of 247
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    relic wrote: »
    Oh for goodness sakes, I have no love for Samsung but there isn't a game on the market right now that the Note 4 couldn't play, these graphics chips in the current line of mobiles are going to waste. What exactly does this article prove, it's a business phone for goodness sakes. Once the new line of 64bit chips come and if one happens to be faster then the A8, there is a good chance that a few will be, the same comments I just made about the Note 4 will be said here about the iPhone. This is just a silly pissing contest at this point, the current range of chips are fast enough for pretty much anything that you could possibly through at them.

    No, that's because Android software is crippled. Even software developed using Unity will always run slower on Android because developers don't convert the textures to Mali or Adreno formats, they just leave them as PowerVR. This means the CPU has to convert the textures on the fly. Sure you can run everything, but it will be a far inferior performance compared to the iPhone version.
  • Reply 156 of 247
    The 6 and 6 are good steps forward, and I'm glad Apple's conceding the form factor battle. However, IMO the "bad engineering choices" in the 6 are more of a deal breaker for me than the Note4's. For starters, here's a good explanation of the "let's upscale and then downscale" issue:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/23/apple_iphone_6_plus_review/

    This is a cynical consumer-hostile decision designed to get something out quickly for the holidays IMO. Also, I don't care about GPU performance, as the Note4 is fast enough to run any Android game. If iOS gaming is that much better, I'll get a new iPad once those are upgraded, where I can appreciate the visuals. That said, I do wish the Note4 had stayed at 1920x1080. The higher res is useless.

    What else? Samsung's have an FM radio, IR remote control, removable battery, CHEAP expandable memory with a proper mountable filesystem, a stylus with optimised apps (yes, it makes a difference), a higher resolution camera, a standard SIM card for easier int'l travel, and even a slightly larger screen on a slightly smaller device.

    And crucially, a physical back button, so you can operate it one-handed on a train. In iOS, each app defines a virtual back button, typically unreachable at the top of the screen. The double-tap to slide the display down is an annoying hack in practice.

    Entirely too many tradeoffs, many of them made for no other reason than to restrict what the consumer can do with the device. Thanks, but no thanks.
  • Reply 157 of 247
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member

    Whatever, I just wanted to boast that we finally got our iPhone 6 upgrades. I got the 128 GB iPhone 6 and my wife got the 16 GB both space grey. We stood in line maybe 30 minutes.

  • Reply 158 of 247

    All I wanted to say is I like the Apple 6 and 6+ because they are better versions of 5S. I wouldn't argue anymore if this better that Samsung's Note 4 because I don't have to buy it anyway.

  • Reply 159 of 247
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    kibitzer wrote: »
    Once again, DED fills his analytical chamberpot and dumps it out the window onto Samsung's head.

    You are saying that DED was full of crap?!?
  • Reply 160 of 247
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Spot on. Add to it iWork, iPhoto, etc. The non-Apple world has simply no clue. I've always felt that Apple should create Windows and Android versions of these, to sell at a premium price.

    Instead, they created crappy iTunes. Sad...
Sign In or Register to comment.