Latest iOS 8 bug reportedly causes unwanted deletion of iCloud Drive documents

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

LOL @ the "Apple will never understand the cloud" hate.

What do you think iTunes is?

I'm no iTunes expert, but isn't iTunes an application that installs and runs on a computer or a mobile device? My understanding is that it simply downloads songs from servers, but the playlists, device connectivity, decoding, etc. are all processed locally.

"Cloud computing" is generally nebulous, but one common definition is that the computing work is done on remote servers, not on the client. Another approach is the browser app, where the application comes down into your browser every time you use it, and data produced in the app (like a document) are stored on the server, potentially with a local copy. iTunes doesn't seem to fit either model, even remotely.

• Reply 42 of 49

Amazing. Hey let's all move to the cloud! It's so super duper awesome!

• Reply 43 of 49
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wonder if the competition with Google is so fierce that the software guys are being rushed a bit?

Where’s your /s?

Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

Disney has nothing to do with how bad Apple is doing with its products and services.

But Disney does manage to destroy everything it touches.

• Reply 44 of 49
    I'm no iTunes expert, but isn't iTunes an application that installs and runs on a computer or a mobile device? My understanding is that it simply downloads songs from servers, but the playlists, device connectivity, decoding, etc. are all processed locally.

"Cloud computing" is generally nebulous, but one common definition is that the computing work is done on remote servers, not on the client. Another approach is the browser app, where the application comes down into your browser every time you use it, and data produced in the app (like a document) are stored on the server, potentially with a local copy. iTunes doesn't seem to fit either model, even remotely.
    And you do realize most effective CLOUD apps are on your local machine and are "controlled" by the cloud and use CLOUD storage right? Some offer both. Like iTunes. Or Adobe creative CLOUD.

Cloud is nothing new. In fact it's very old. It used to be called server-client or mainframe. Lol

The advent of OC freed users from server restrictions and allow more control over what happens with your files, including where the processing is done and where the files are stored.

Some applications of the "new" cloud are every bit as restrictive and invasive. Others offer the best of both worlds (personal computer aspects combined with mainframe aspects-including both local and server based files redundantly).

Here Endeth the lesson.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

And you do realize most effective CLOUD apps are on your local machine and are "controlled" by the cloud and use CLOUD storage right? Some offer both. Like iTunes. Or Adobe creative CLOUD.

Cloud is nothing new. In fact it's very old. It used to be called server-client or mainframe. Lol

The advent of OC freed users from server restrictions and allow more control over what happens with your files, including where the processing is done and where the files are stored.

Some applications of the "new" cloud are every bit as restrictive and invasive. Others offer the best of both worlds (personal computer aspects combined with mainframe aspects-including both local and server based files redundantly).

Here Endeth the lesson.

"Most effective?"

I think the most effective cloud apps don't care what machine I'm on, and are instantly available on any machine. I can borrow a friend's laptop, fire up any browser, and create/edit Drive docs. The experience is the same as what I have on my own machine, even if she has never used Drive before. I'd never think of asking a friend if I could install iTunes on her machine so I could use it for 2 minutes.

You need more lessons if you think the best of modern computing on the Internet is a "very old" client-server architecture.

• Reply 46 of 49

Hope to see an article saying this bug is fixed.

• Reply 47 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    pfisher wrote: »
    Apple keeps blowing it on cloud - they've lost my confidence in them.

I pretty much use only Google's services and apps, and Amazon for additional backups. 

Poor planning on Apple's part with Yosemite. Seems one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

It's a big, big company, now, growing in many directions and tons of new hardware and software rolling out. No doubt they are increasing employee size.

Companies seem much better when they are small or mid-sized corporations. When they are so big and growing so much, things are bound to happen.

Apple hardware still rocks big time. The best there has been for a LONG time, too. Hardware division is rock solid.

P

You mean you're upset that Beta software isn't perfect yet? Wow.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    I want to know where the photo edit crop 4"x6" selection for size is. I have a printer that prints documents and 4x6 photo paper. Put the crop aspect 4x6 back in. Are there any at iApple that know what i am requesting. You screwed up on this. It is not a bug but a deliberate ommission.

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/50246/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 49 of 49
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You mean you're upset that Beta software isn't perfect yet? Wow.

As far as I can see it hasn't been fixed in any beta for iOS 8, nor has Yosemite GM candidate mentioned a fix, so pretty soon now this could go live.