Apple sapphire partner GT Advanced Technologies files for bankruptcy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 220
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sog35 wrote: »
    don't do it.

With Chapter 11 common share holders often get $0

I have a small position in GTAT and I would not even buy this at 10 cents.

That might be bad advice. More details are needed but often companies come out of Chapter 11 fairly strong. It is a gamble but with such gambles the payoff can be rather large.
  • Reply 22 of 220
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    don't do it.

With Chapter 11 common share holders often get $0

I have a small position in GTAT and I would not even buy this at 10 cents.

It's now under 1 at 0,80. What happens if it hits 0?
  • Reply 23 of 220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That might be bad advice. More details are needed but often companies come out of Chapter 11 fairly strong. It is a gamble but with such gambles the payoff can be rather large.

Yup. As always, don't invest money you can't afford to lose. 

• Reply 24 of 220
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Not sure how this affects Apple's plan to use sapphire beyond iWatch in near future...
  • Reply 25 of 220
    rob53 wrote: »
    Time to buy GTAT? It's less than $2/share.

I'd not buy a stock going through bankruptcy. The shares may be declared worthless.
  • Reply 26 of 220
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

I was going to say, I thought when a company goes into bankruptcy, the shares are dissolved. Maybe I don't understand stocks as well as I thought I did. 

• Reply 27 of 220
    wizard69 wrote: »

Avoid, IMO.
  • Reply 28 of 220
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    A bit surprised if Apple would not have been aware of their precarious financial situation when they agreed to an upfront payment. Perhaps the great deal was worth the risk, but this might explain in part the delay in releasing the Apple Watch as well as some of Kuo's comments a few months back about possible Apple product changes/delays due to limited sapphire supply.
  • Reply 29 of 220
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    wizard69 wrote: »

Exactly, I have my fingers crossed. That said I will hold but not buy more, i got burned by GM that way.
  • Reply 30 of 220
    rob53 wrote: »
    It's now under 1 at 0,80. What happens if it hits 0?

There will be loud sucking sound ... :\
  • Reply 31 of 220
    Sometimes the comments are just so ridiculous, all I can do is shake my head. And I don't mean ridiculous like on some other tech sites where the Apple lovers and haters attack each other on a erosional level. Most of the remarks above mine, but not all of them, reflect just about zero knowledge of business, bankruptcy law, Apple's deal with GT any roll they have in that business. There is a lot of ungrounded, baseless speculation to go along with a lack of knowledge. What the heck, that never stopped most of you from loading on and then lauding each other's remarks.
  • Reply 32 of 220
    jakeb wrote: »
    I was going to say, I thought when a company goes into bankruptcy, the shares are dissolved. Maybe I don't understand stocks as well as I thought I did. 

That's 7 not 11.
  • Reply 33 of 220
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member

Let me get this right - GTAT is in financial trouble because of wall street speculation that GTAT will provide sapphire display for iPhones even though it is not economically or physically practical? Do you honestly think Apple wants the iPhone to get heavier and lose a large profit margin as a result of higher cost of sapphire? 

Sapphire is for watches and lens - it is not well optimized for mobile displays. Never have. 

• Reply 34 of 220
    javijavi Posts: 1member
    BREAKING

Tom Gutierrez, president and CEO of GT A.T. Inc. has just released the following statement:

• Reply 35 of 220
    "GT has a strong and fundamentally sound underlying business,"

That's what I told my friends when I told them I couldn't pay back the $2,000,000 that I owed them.

"Bros, just because I'm broke and filed for bankruptcy doesn't mean I'm out of cash."
  • Reply 36 of 220
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    What the h...! A cash infusion of over half a billion from a successful tech firm less than a year ago and now filing for bankruptcy! Did Apple know what they were getting into when they invested in this company? Really...
  • Reply 37 of 220
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Obviously this means Apple is doomed. The NYT and The Register will confirm this shortly.

• Reply 38 of 220
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    =blink=  Sapphire is already hard.  Not in the way "math is hard", but sapphire is a hard material.
    And the sapphire made by them is made "harder", using a technique patented by Apple.
    http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/04/apple-invents-method-of-hardening-sapphire-screens-to-reduce-cracking-
  • Reply 39 of 220
    no. Stocks can be disolved with chapter 11.

Look at the airline stocks like Delta

Didn't know that ... OK now I am worried ... :\:\:\
  • Reply 40 of 220

Chapter 7 is the really bad one. It is liquidation of all assets. 

Chapter 11 is just re-organization but only if the creditors agree. If any creditor does not accept the BoD's plans, they can be forced by bankruptcy court to liquidate like Chapter 7.