Hewlett-Packard splitting into two companies, one will focus on consumer PCs & printers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    Har har! Back in the day when this was a seriously considered issue, I remember we posited that the two halves could be named... "Baja Oregon" and "Upper Tijuana".  

We already call them "Northern California" and "Southern California". (Oh, and by the way the new dictation speed in iOS 8 is spectacular.)
  • Reply 42 of 67
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

HP, you promised me a hideous blue-gray iPod.

You did not deliver.

I will not fall for your hollow promises again!

That was one of the weirder episodes in the Apple soap opera.  Darn that Tim Cook for his horrible judgement.  /s

• Reply 43 of 67
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Guess which one will be bankrupt within two years.

This is psychotic. Absolutely nonsensical. That’s the same name. Did ANYONE even THINK about naming one company Hewlett and one company Packard? ARE THEY ALL COMPLETE NUTJOBS?! It’s right there in the name, for heaven’s sake! You’re splitting into two companies. YOU HAVE TWO NAMES IN YOUR NAME.

“Oh, I need some repair work done by HP… … What do you mean I have to call Hewlett-Packard?! You ARE Hewlett-Packard!”

This is a nightmare, that I would live in a world where the top businessmen are THIS STUPID.

I agree that it's weird, but there is precedent.  The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) spun off Coca-Cola Enterprises (NYSE: CCE) as a independent corporation.

• Reply 44 of 67
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Three years lost.

Leo Apotheker wanted to do the splitt 2011 (personal systems only, the weakest part of HP) and was fired.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I doubt this part.  HP's revenue (according to the Fortune 500 listing) is currently at $112B and they are 17th on the list.  The companies down at number 50 (UPS is #50) have revenue of 55B.  So unless they cut this company in half with a laser-guided scalpel, one of the 2 new companies will fall outside the top 50.  Not that it matters, it's just a meaningless label.  But HP won't have 2 companies in the top 50.

Personal systems and printing combined is half of HP's revenue.

Last 3 quarters revenues (there are some intersegment net revenues in the numbers):

Q1  HP $28.15 bn; personal systems $ 8.53 bn, printing $5.82 bn, combined $14.35 bn

Q2  HP $27.31 bn; personal systems $ 8.18 bn, printing $5.83 bn, combined $14.01 bn

Q3  HP $27.59 bn; personal systems $ 8.65 bn, printing $5.59 bn, combined $14.24 bn

So while the total for HP is $83.05 bn the total for personal systems and printing combined is somewhere between $41 bn and $42.6 bn.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did ANYONE even THINK about naming one company Hewlett and one company Packard?

Surely no one thought about something stupid like that! 

William Hewlett and Dave Packard founded Hewlett-Packard in 1939. There is no Hewlett and no Packard, only Hewlett-Packard since 75 years...

• Reply 45 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Failed Republican candidate, Meg Whitman is famous for stripping companies of their assets, laying off employees, collecting her check and moving on like a locust.

She's Mitt Romney in a skirt suit.

I sense her payoff is coming...

I don't claim to be the most informed person about how Romney or Whitman operate/d, but my impression was that Romney's company restructured businesses in a way that they could at least keep the doors open and have the chance to rebuild as opposed to just failing completely (at which point the layoffs would have been 'everyone' instead of just 'many').  It'll be interesting to see if this move allows for a rebirth in a new direction or if it really is just a selfish CEO move.

I don't envy anyone who didn't see industry changes coming in time to adapt and is faced with trying to pick the lesser of evils in a tough situation (or the temptation to look out for #1 on their way out the door at the expense of the company and its employees).  Running a big corporation isn't for the faint of heart or weak of character (although those types evidently do sometimes end up as CEOs).

• Reply 46 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Now THAT is an interesting bit of history I didn't know about, especially since I recently bought a $29,000 Agilent instrument.

The old HP is in multiple parts:

HP

HP Enterprise

Avago (Semiconductor products, LEDs, optical mice)

Agilent (Chemistry/Bio equipment)

Keysight (Test equipment: the original HP)

Philips Lumileds (Lighting LEDs, joint venture taken over by Philips)

Philips Medical Systems (Medical products, bought by Philips)

Network equipment spinoffs to JDSU and Ixia

• Reply 47 of 67
    Looks like no one wants to partner up with a sinking rock.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    malax wrote: »
    EBay isn't spinning off PayPal because it's a loser.  If anything EBay recognizes that the EBay brand and business model are holding back PayPal. If Meg is responsible for the original acquisition that's goes in her Plus column.  

Ebay is spinning off PayPal to insulate itself when PayPal starts plummeting after Apple's one-touch solution spreads around the globe. PayPal being banned from it is a clue.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think she would've been a better California governor than Jerry Brown, to be blunt.

Yeah... Because the GOP's last present to California, Der Gropenfuhrer, did such a bang up job.

• Reply 50 of 67

Non of this would have happened if Packard was still around.

• Reply 51 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

HP, you promised me a hideous blue-gray iPod.

You’ll have to settle for a white one.

• Reply 52 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Yeah... Because the GOP's last present to California, Der Gropenfuhrer, did such a bang up job.

He was not good, but why would the GOP be credited or blamed for his decisions? It was about what he decided to do.

• Reply 53 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Speaking of HP, their old HQ which is now Apple's future HQ has the foundation laid. I'm hoping [@]Corrections[/@] will get us more ariel video shots. Perhaps an iPhone 6 Plus with stabilization mounted on a personal drone.
    Did DED take the last drone shots himself? Maybe he did. If you want the latest drone view you can find it here:
    [VIDEO]

and the official Cupertino blog here:
    http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?page=1223
  • Reply 54 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Did DED take the last drone shots himself? Maybe he did. If you want the latest drone view you can find it here:
    [vid]

1) I did see that at 9-to-5Mac, hence my comment about the foundation being complete.

2) I don't recall but I think he's not too far away at Cupertino and I do recall he's gone out to Reno to take pics of their DC.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

• Reply 56 of 67
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't know, but she strikes me as a bull who isn't afraid of a little china shop. If she didn't get her way, she'd pound and pound and pound until she got it.

And then everything is pounded to dust (not gold dust), easier to bag it and ship to Asia...

• Reply 57 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Speaking of HP, their old HQ which is now Apple's future HQ has the foundation laid. I'm hoping @Corrections will get us more ariel video shots. Perhaps an iPhone 6 Plus with stabilization mounted on a personal drone.

Nice idea, but it would probably bend in the wind.

• Reply 58 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

one that will focus on enterprise technology and services, and another that will offer consumer-focused products and printers.

Guess which one will be bankrupt within two years.

The two companies will be identified as Hewlett-Packard Enterprise and HP Inc.

This is psychotic. Absolutely nonsensical. That’s the same name. Did ANYONE even THINK about naming one company Hewlett and one company Packard? ARE THEY ALL COMPLETE NUTJOBS?! It’s right there in the name, for heaven’s sake! You’re splitting into two companies. YOU HAVE TWO NAMES IN YOUR NAME.

“Oh, I need some repair work done by HP… … What do you mean I have to call Hewlett-Packard?! You ARE Hewlett-Packard!”

This is a nightmare, that I would live in a world where the top businessmen are THIS STUPID.

Apple has announced it is splitting into two companies, Ae and ppl.

ppl will run the core features, such as the iPhone and iOS, whilst Ae will provide skin services like iCloud and provide an embracing overview of Green policies.

• Reply 59 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

HP's biggest mistake came in 1999 when they decided to spin off the part of the business they were built on, instruments, and go for the "new and shiny".  They've been doing it ever since with disastrous acquisitions like Compaq, Palm and Autonomy.

Meanwhile their old instruments business, Agilent, are beating them hands down.  The comparison of the two stocks since Agilent was spun off is informative:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=A+Interactive#%7B%22range%22%3A%22max%22%2C%22indicators%22%3A%7B%22comparison%22%3A%5B%7B%22id%22%3A%22comp_HPQ_close%22%2C%22name%22%3A%22comp%22%2C%22params%22%3A%5B%22HPQ%22%5D%2C%22lineType%22%3A%22line%22%2C%22color%22%3A%22%23ff8c0c%22%2C%22weight%22%3A1%7D%5D%7D%2C%22scale%22%3A%22linear%22%2C%22comparisons%22%3A%7B%22HPQ%22%3A%7B%22color%22%3A%22%23ff8c0c%22%2C%22weight%22%3A1%7D%7D%7D

Thanks, but could you provide a longer link so it's easier to click on it?

• Reply 60 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Thanks, but could you provide a longer link so it's easier to click on it?

OT: I wish Apple would do the minimal amount of coding required to have excessive long links posted in Messages and Mail to bring up a message asking if you've like to create a shortened link. They could partner with bit.ly or another URL shortener service, or simple create their own (e.g.: app.le).