Google updates Gmail for iOS with support for iPhone 6 & 6 Plus displays

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Google on Monday issued an update to its popular Gmail client for iOS, bringing compatibility for the Retina HD displays found in Apple's latest iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus handsets.

A minor update, Gmail for iOS version 3.1415926 adds native screen resolution support for Apple's 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, meaning users no longer need to rely on iOS for scaling up graphics and text.

Prior to today's update, Google's mobile email client had to be scaled for Apple's larger iPhone models, which which now carry Retina HD displays in resolutions of 1,334-by-750 pixels for the 4.7-inch version and 1,920-by-1,080 pixels for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus. The resulting graphics reproduction was slightly fuzzy, especially on the 6 Plus' 401ppi panel.

According to the release notes, no other changes or enhancements are included in the latest Gmail for iOS build.

Gmail for iOS is a free 5.3MB download from the iOS App Stroe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Yawn.

My former Gmail account now serves as my spam account. Never checked, never opened. They can sit and spin in an endless circle of advertisement.

“I see you are receiving a lot of e-mail about increasing the size of your penis. Here; have some advertisements regarding penis size!”

• Reply 2 of 39
    Why the f**k is this news ?
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“I see you are receiving a lot of e-mail about increasing the size of your penis. Here; have some advertisements regarding penis size!”

ROFLAMO!

• Reply 4 of 39
    Version number pi.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Version number pi.

yep, lmao.

• Reply 6 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I want an Apple alternative to this spam ware service.

A little off topic but not:

I often see fandroids saying google is better than Apple because of their search engine...

APPLE DOESN'T HAVE A SEARCH ENGINE DUMB F***S!!

I would love for Apple to make a real competing search engine website just to shut them up and take even just %10 MORE* of Giggles revenue.

*Spotlight will do damage.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Version number pi.

It's great seeing companies having a sense of fun and humour. :)

• Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

I want an Apple alternative to this spam ware service.

FWIW, I receive unwanted spam or advert emails in my gmail inbox about once per year. Plenty of it hits my account, but gmail automatically filters it. I've checked in the spam folder occasionally, and they never yank anything I actually want to read.

How are people screwing it up so that they see this stuff?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

A little off topic but not:

I often see androids saying google is better than Apple because of their search engine...

APPLE DOESN'T HAVE A SEARCH ENGINE DUMB F***S!!

I would love for Apple to make a real competing search engine website just to shut them up and take even just %10 MORE* of Giggles revenue.

*Spotlight will do damage.

You're bringing an argument in from another thread to beat it down?

• Reply 9 of 39
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">FWIW, I receive unwanted spam or advert emails in my gmail inbox about once per year. Plenty of it hits my account, but gmail automatically filters it. I've checked in the spam folder occasionally, and they never yank anything I actually want to read.</span>

Google's spam filters have been getting crappier lately, I get a fair amount of spam to my inbox. Whereas a lot of things I want to go to junk box.

Gmail is my "I don't care who has this address" account. Outlook is my "more important" account, and iCloud is friends and family only.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Google's spam filters have been getting crappier lately, I get a fair amount of spam to my inbox. Whereas a lot of things I want to go to junk box.

Gmail is my "I don't care who has this address" account. Outlook is my "more important" account, and iCloud is friends and family only.

I guess that could be part of it. I don't use it as a spam target email address. In normal use (I'm not actively trying to find and eliminate it) , I rarely see spam.

I just went and checked the spam folder again, and everything in there that's semi-legit was from an opt-out advertiser after shopping at a place like Nordstrom. If I receive an ad email from a place I've shopped, it's only one click to spam filter it from that point on, but it still lets through things like purchase receipts, which I want.

The best feature of gmail is how quickly I can search it. Maybe other services have caught up now, but it's just lightning fast, so I don't need to filter any of my keeper email for any reason at all, since 2006. Outlook 2013 at work is glacially slow -- I cannot stand how slow the search is.

• Reply 11 of 39
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I can't believe how sluggish this trash app is, even on my iPad Air. It's like half of it is simply a web container. Also, love how it takes like 10 steps to sign out, in an incredibly convoluted process.  Amazing. 

• Reply 12 of 39
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I can't believe how sluggish this trash app is, even on my iPad Air. It's like half of it is simply a web container. Also, love how it takes like 10 steps to sign out, in an incredibly convoluted process.  Amazing. 

I can't believe you would use it!

• Reply 13 of 39
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">FWIW, I receive unwanted spam or advert emails in my gmail inbox about once per year. Plenty of it hits my account, but gmail automatically filters it. I've checked in the spam folder occasionally, and they never yank anything I actually want to read.</span>

spamware = advertisements.
    it was meant to be playful but I see where you got confused.
    Gmails spam filter is decent though.

As far as the "argument" it's slightly relevant as plenty of people are trying to go Google-free but most competitors to GMail and Google search are bad to terrible.

(plus I tend to go slightly off topic when I feel I'll never have the chance to bring up a certain subject again, but I admit it's off topic)
  • Reply 14 of 39
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

The best feature of gmail is how quickly I can search it.

That's because Google has already searched your e-mail for you.

• Reply 15 of 39
    slurpy wrote: »

Which is why I would love a good Apple alternative. Yahoo and others are even worse.

No wonder email is dying to Facebook and simple texts.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

spamware = advertisements.

it was meant to be playful but I see where you got confused.

Gmails spam filter is decent though.

As far as the "argument" it's slightly relevant as plenty of people are trying to go Google-free but most competitors to GMail and Google search are bad to terrible.

(plus I tend to go slightly off topic when I feel I'll never have the chance to bring up a certain subject again, but I admit it's off topic)

Got it.

I did used to see ads on the right in gmail in a browser. It's completely ad-free now, in Chrome on a desktop, and on my phone. Just no ads anywhere in gmail (other than the spam that gets filtered out for me).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

That's because Google has already searched your e-mail for you.

^^^ Exactly.

I get that this is an issue for many people, but it's a tradeoff that I'm down with. Speed up my day-to-day life, and I'll let you serve up relevant ads to my browser so that AdBlock (please donate!) can remove them. Waze is saving me an hour or two/week, easy, and some traffic tickets I didn't get. Some of this software just has significant benefits to me.

• Reply 17 of 39

^cheap, like a chicken in heat. cheap cheap cheap cheap....

• Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplePieGuy View Post

^cheap, like a chicken in heat. cheap cheap cheap cheap....

:???:  don't forget your meds

• Reply 19 of 39
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Got it.

I did used to see ads on the right in gmail in a browser. It's completely ad-free now, in Chrome on a desktop, and on my phone. Just no ads anywhere in gmail (other than the spam that gets filtered out for me).

^^^ Exactly.

I get that this is an issue for many people, but it's a tradeoff that I'm down with. Speed up my day-to-day life, and I'll let you serve up relevant ads to my browser so that AdBlock (please donate!) can remove them. Waze is saving me an hour or two/week, easy, and some traffic tickets I didn't get. Some of this software just has significant benefits to me.

Yeah, I don't know what Gmail people are complaining about. The iPad/iPhone and Android apps don't have ads, Adblock or not. Browser ads are easily removed by Adblock, even on Google's own browser; for all I can tell there aren't any ads at all on any of the websites I use, Google or otherwise. The spam filters are 99.9%+ accurate in my experience; I've never had a false positive and I've had only one or two spam mails in the past few years make it to my inbox. 

• Reply 20 of 39
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That is Google's way of making loyal customers, by not letting you sign out  ;)