Apple's iOS 8 update breaks Bluetooth car connections, fix may be coming with iOS 8.1

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    Use iPhone 6 with Ford Sync and since the upgrade not working at all.

After getting another new iPhone 6 from Apple. Bluetooth worked one time then stopped working again
  • Reply 62 of 103
    Warning, doing this will erase all your iWork documents in iCloud.
    As always before doing any reset you should backup your device first.

No, it's not all bull.
    Here is what I've noticed. Ipad mini retina and Iphone 5s both in 8.0.2 with no issues.
    Upgraded 5s for iPhone 6, connected to Subaru legacy 2014 stereo for the drive home, no issues.
    Updated iPhone 6 when I got home on wifi. Now all three devices won't do AirPlay and phones won't connect to car steeo. Hmmm????

Reset network settings (something I'm used to doing with running iOS betas) didn't fix the issue.
    Then I reset all setting on the iPad retina while expecting to do this on the phones also.
    Reset ALL setting worked, in fact the phones work also now without even resetting them.

I suspect resetting all settings clears something on the new updated cloud. NOTE I moved all of these over to the new cloud when updating to iOS 8.0. What ever changed on the cloud trickled down or was reflected on the phones also. Went to the garage and turned in the iPhone 6 and stereo and it connected without any issues.
    AirPlay is also working on the iPad mini retina, iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 now.

So if you have multiple iOS devices running with the same iCloud account then start by resetting just one of them and test. Remember it needs to be.....
    SSETTINGS
    |__GENERAL
    |__RESET
    |__RESET ALL SETTINGS
    You will need to put some setting back, most importantly your password. This is why I reset the iPad mini first and then I didn't have to redo all my fingerprints on the phones.
  • Reply 63 of 103
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member

iPhone 6 on 8.02 has numerous connectivity issues.  The wireless, bluetooth, & wifi connections are all not very stable.  It would normally correct itself once switched on to airplane mode then back.  My 2014 Audi requires iphone 6 reset when connected longer than 30+ minutes.  Sometimes, it wouldn't even connect starting the car in the morning.  iOS 8 is by far the buggiest iOS every released for me.  My first iphone was 3G, which was sluggish at the end of cycle, but don't remember having to reset the phone to sustain connections.

There are also other bugs, which some background apps remain active in the background even when setting is off.  Accessing music files via storage menu on my wife's 5s always results in crashing.... etc..

Can't wait enough for the next iOS update. 

• Reply 64 of 103
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

I think Apple needs to expand Appleseed to include iOS and of course it helps to do proper regression testing.  At least if you had Appleseed working with iOS, these kind of end user bugs would likely be caught before general release. 

• Reply 65 of 103
    ...i have a 2006 bmw 330xi, since i updated my iphone 5s to the new ios 8.0.1 the connection using Bluetooth is not working anymore..:(...does show me on the idrive display that the phone is connected, does show me the contacts from my iphone ...but when i call some one i cannot talk/hear to the bmw's bluetooth, i have to chose the iphone speaker...it is annoying and i really hope apple will fix this issue as soon as possible...
  • Reply 66 of 103
    on 5c, 8.0.2 multitasking is unreliable.

Just today was on FaceTime trying to switch to another app. Freezes phone. Press on switch. Power off comes on but does not respond to input. Hard reset required.

Or if an app is updating like Facebook, whatever window you're in freezes until 30 seconds later background thread frees up and gives focus back.

All in all, a once reliable phone is not randomly attending to background tasks that they've obviously not optimized in any meaningful fashion.

Given 5c this month pre-6 just took the #1 spot in countries like Britain, there are going to be many a mom and pop noobs who are going to be pissed at this kinda nonsense even ore than I am.
  • Reply 67 of 103

on 5c, 8.0.2 multitasking is also unreliable. 

Just today was on FaceTime trying to switch to another app. Freezes phone. Press on switch. Power off comes on but does not respond to input. Hard reset required. 

Or if an app is updating like Facebook, whatever window you're in freezes until 30 seconds later background thread frees up and gives focus back.

All in all, a once reliable phone is not randomly attending to background tasks that they've obviously not optimized in any meaningful fashion. 

Given 5c this month pre-6 just took the #1 spot in countries like Britain, there are going to be many a mom and pop noobs who are going to be pissed at this kinda nonsense even ore than I am.

• Reply 68 of 103
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member

No problems here connecting to my Hyundai. In fact, it seems to work slightly better.

• Reply 69 of 103
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm having issues when connected to BT with 8.1 on my iPhone 6 series. I didn't test BT with 8.0 or 8.0.2 before I updated to 8.1 in the foolish thought that I'd get access to the ?Pay SW.

Anyway, my voice calls are very clear when used as either a regular phone or speaker phone, but there is an aberration when used via BT. This does not happen with a different iPhone 6 over BT, so this is either an issue with the 8.1 beta or an issue with my iPhone's HW. The former seems more likely so I'll just deal with it until 8.1 is official.

PS: Yes, I've turned it all off/on, reconnected, etc.
  • Reply 70 of 103
    Did any one check the issues with Bluetooth headsets???
    Same issue I presume
  • Reply 71 of 103
    Apple needs to tell the truth. Iphone 6 will not bluetooth to
    modern cars... This is a safety issue and there
    is no TRUTH ON THE APPLE WEB SITE...
    THERE ARE INTERIM THINGS YOU
    CAN DO BUT IT IS A NIGHTMARE...

Apple has to remember what happened
    LAST TIME IT TREATED ITS CUSTOMERS
    LIKE LEMMINGS !!!!
  • Reply 72 of 103
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

A click bait headline. Appleinsider is seemingly desperate in the face of the Internet see of clickbaits... And must do the same. Only a minority of people actually have this issue. IOS 8 doesn't "break" BT in a general sense.

iPhone 6 on iOS 8.0.2 with Honda Bluetooth, when phone calls comes in I no longer get any notifications.  No ring, no on-screen notification to answer the call, no fade out/fade in, nada.  Likewise, no alerts when I get a text.  All of which worked fine with my 5S on 7.1.2. 

In a "general sense" I would say that qualifies as "broken".

• Reply 73 of 103
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

In a "general sense" I would say that qualifies as "broken".

For you.   Not in "a general sense" since many people don't have issues.   BT phone and media player is 98% there with our two 2013 VW Sportwagens and 2 iPhone 6 and one iPhone 6 plus.  The only issue at all is slow finding where the media player was at when switching to BT media player on the stereo head instead of immediately returning to prior song/point in song it takes a small moment.  Calls, playing music, Siri, everything works fine for us with 8.0.2 and 8.0.

I am not saying that BT isn't broken, but when only some people have the issue, it is not a general issue but specific to your circumstance.  Maybe Honda has the broken BT and the iPhone previously worked around it?  Who knows.   Lots of people DON'T have issues.

• Reply 74 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Oh, good. We thought the pages and pages of reports from users having problems were indicative of a software problem, but now that we know YOUR system is working we can put it to rest.

Thanks for the helpful input.

:no:

This is not very helpful.   Most people won't be reporting success.  Only the failures tend to report things.   Lots of people have issues.  Lots of people DON'T have issues.  As I said, 8.0.2 and 8.0 work fine with our VW Sportwagens except for one small issue that is not worth worrying about.  YOU may have issues, but lots of people don't.  Yes, Apple needs to look into it and fix whatever issues there are (probably including working around dodgy auto manufacturer BT implementations in some cases I am guessing).  But that does not mean that BT is broken in general.  It is broken for your specific circumstances.

• Reply 75 of 103
    Originally Posted by CHICO86 View Post

Apple needs to tell the truth. iPhone 6 will not bluetooth to modern cars... This is a safety issue… …LEMMINGS !!!!

Blah blah blah; keep it on the Samsung forums.

• Reply 76 of 103
    chico86 wrote: »

LIKE LEMMINGS !!!!

I have a 2013 car, so that means you either think 2013 isn't considered modern or you're lying, because my iPhone 6 series connects to its BT. #Bluetoothgate
  • Reply 77 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CHICO86 View Post

LIKE LEMMINGS !!!!

Really?  It is just working fine in my 2013 (i.e. modern car) VW Sportwagen.  In fact we have two 2013 VW Sportwagen cars with 3 different iPhone 6 or 6 plus and no major issues.

Safety Issue?  Oh, please.  

Go back under your rock.

• Reply 78 of 103
    chadbag wrote: »
    Really?  It is just working fine in my 2013 (i.e. modern car) VW Sportwagen.  In fact we have two 2013 VW Sportwagen cars with 3 different iPhone 6 or 6 plus and no major issues.

Safety Issue?  Oh, please.  

Go back under your rock.

I can't wait for the lawsuit from douchbags saying that because they couldn't tether their iPhone with BT that Apple therefore forced them to text while driving.
  • Reply 79 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't wait for the lawsuit from douchbags saying that because they couldn't tether their iPhone with BT that Apple therefore forced them to text while driving.

Queued in 3, 2, 1...

• Reply 80 of 103
    The BT issue is all over the Internet and whilst it works SOMETIMES it relates to ICloud and resetting your phone repeatedly .

First rule for Apple is tell your customers the TRUTH and HELP THEM OUT ! Is this a safety issue ... Absolutely ... Just watch people manually dialling whilst they drive !!!