Apple says iOS 8 on 47% of devices as adoption rate slows, tied with iOS 7 distribution

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
In an update to its developer portal on Monday, Apple revealed 47 percent of iOS devices tracked through the App Store are running the latest iOS 8, a change of only one percent over the past two weeks.

As of Oct. 5, iOS 8 distribution equaled that of last year's iOS 7, with each OS version running on 47 percent of devices registered with the iOS App Store. Apple announced the latest statistics through its App Store support webpage for developers.

The metric compares to 46 percent distribution for iOS 8 two weeks ago, when the next-generation mobile operating system saw rapid adoption just after a Sept. 17 launch. At the time, the OS was tracking slightly behind last year's iOS 7, which garnered a 52 percent Web share one week after release, according to one third-party study.

Interestingly, over the past two weeks, Apple saw a one-percent uptick in devices running iOS 6 and older, bringing their combined share up to six percent of the total.

Consumers may be reluctant to upgrade to the latest iOS 8 version after seeing a slew of problems with the new operating system, the first being a launch-day bug that prompted Apple to pull HealthKit-enabled apps from the App Store. The HealthKit framework is a tentpole feature for iOS 8 that aggregates data from wellness apps and connected fitness accessories.

An updated 8.0.1 version was pushed out on Sept. 24 to patch the issue, but it too was quickly pulled after iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners complained of non-functioning cellular and Touch ID hardware. A day later, Apple issued the latest iOS 8.0.2 update as a patch for HealthKit, cellular and Touch ID problems.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 117
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    It'll take the latest Android version 2-3 years to reach 47% adoption..
  • Reply 2 of 117
    Adoption-gate
  • Reply 3 of 117
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wurm5150 wrote: »

Nice deflection.
  • Reply 4 of 117
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Well all those buggy releases in a row. Its no wonder people arent upgrading.
  • Reply 5 of 117
    Doesn't help that iOS 8 requires a big as$ storage space to install..
  • Reply 6 of 117
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

dasanman69 wrote: »
    Nice deflection.
    "But...but...but Android" never really gets old does it? . ;)
  • Reply 7 of 117

This is likely the biggest issue. I needed 6.9GB free on my iPad to do it. On a 16GB iPad, that had 12.7GB maximum available under iOS 7, that's painful.

It did make me decide to never buy a 16GB device again, went with 64 on my iPhone 6. Been nice to throw whatever I want on it and not care.
  • Reply 8 of 117
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Except it doesn't when you update using a computer.
  • Reply 9 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy wrote: »

"But...but...but Android" never really gets old does it? . ;)

It shouldn't even exist.
  • Reply 10 of 117
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Crawl back into your spider hole. You serve no useful purpose here.

• Reply 11 of 117
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Yes, but you ignore the fact that there are many people with an iPhone who NEVER connect it to a computer.  They rely on the cloud, so yes, the space requirement is in fact a big deal for many and I'm sure is a major contributing factor.

• Reply 12 of 117
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

That's definitely one possible reason with other reason being that maybe many users on older iPhones decided not to upgrade because they're waiting to buy an iPhone 6 / 6 Plus

• Reply 13 of 117
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

Except when you can't update using a computer. My iPod Touch got stuck in recovery mode when trying to install the ota update and iTunes was unable to download the update. Good thing a Apple Store is 45 mins away.
  • Reply 14 of 117
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm not surprised it's slow because iOS 8 is buggy. 8.1 can't come soon enough. And 2GB RAM on new iPads can't come soon enough. I said in another thread and I'll say it again Apple needs to put a halt on new features for now and work on making iOS 8 better. I honestly don't care if there's an iOS 9 next year. Give us 8.5 that is a polished and mostly bug free version of iOS 8 and I'll be very happy.
  • Reply 15 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

More likely to be all those people who aren't bothering to update the OS because they are upgrading devices and are selling their old devices.  As long as the new iPads have TouchID, we'll be adding a complete refresh of our old iPads to the new iPhone 6+(s).  There's more than one way to upgrade the OS :~}.

• Reply 16 of 117
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Crawl back into your spider hole. You serve no useful purpose here.

No. He's right.  iOS 8.0 and 8.0.1 were a disaster.  8.0.2 isn't that great either.  I'm not updating my iPad air until 8.1 or not at all.  iOS8 sucks balls.  It's unstable and buggy.  It's broken many things and made iOS crappy to use.  If you disagree, fine, but I'm using it and I do not find that "it just works".   It's not a good update and will probably take a few more months for Apple to get it to be as decent as iOS7 was.   

I liked IOS6 and it was rock solid.  New features aside, iOS7 and iOS8 have made things a little less great.

• Reply 17 of 117
    Most people likely were trying to upgrade over the air vs via iTunes..
  • Reply 18 of 117
    Who the hell wants to use iTunes if they don't have to, especially on a Windows PC. And I'll bet a lot of new iOS users don't even use iTunes on their computer if they even have a computer. My 72 year old mother has an iPad mini and iPhone 5 and wouldn't have a clue how to update her software via iTunes. What's the point of having OTA updates if you're stuck updating via iTunes because of space issues? Either Apple needs to make more efficient so it requires less space or they need to stop with the base storage model being 16GB.
  • Reply 19 of 117
    eriamjh wrote: »
    No. He's right.  iOS 8.0 and 8.0.1 were a disaster.  8.0.2 isn't that great either.  I'm not updating my iPad air until 8.1 or not at all.  iOS8 sucks balls.  It's unstable and buggy.  It's broken many things and made iOS crappy to use.  If you disagree, fine, but I'm using it and I do not find that "it just works".   It's not a good update and will probably take a few more months for Apple to get it to be as decent as iOS7 was.   

I liked IOS6 and it was rock solid.  New features aside, iOS7 and iOS8 have made things a little less great.

iOS 6 had its share of problems for lots of people too. But anyone that claims iOS 8 isn't buggy either isn't using it or isn't telling the truth.
  • Reply 20 of 117
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

But a lot of people don't know that, particularly since a computer is no longer a digital hub.