Samsung warns of massive 60% decline in profits for Q3, cites stiff smartphone competition

Comments

• Reply 21 of 222
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Just for the record - does anyone remember how Sammy spent on advertising ?

Management ought to be hauled over the coals for this - they have been aware for many months of the decline yet carried on with production and advertising in full denial.
    Pathetic.

I sometimes wonder if Sammy North America and Sammy Korea are some kind of weird two headed monster - both talking past each other with no effective communication or strategy in place.
  • Reply 22 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Just for the record - does anyone remember how Sammy spent on advertising ?

Management ought to be hauled over the coals for this - they have been aware for many months of the decline yet carried on with production and advertising in full denial.

Pathetic.

I sometimes wonder if Sammy North America and Sammy Korea are some kind of weird two headed monster - both talking past each other with no effective communication or strategy in place.

I think it was $13-14 billion. It's more than the net profit of Google in 2013. Also, Samsung has to pay Microsoft somewhere in the area of $1 billion per year for licensing. In contrast, I think Apple spends about $1 billion on marketing per year. Contrast that to many Apple haters' opinion that Apple is 'just marketing' is pretty amusing.

• Reply 23 of 222
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Your profits are declining Samsung because you make CRAP!  

True...

I was thinking, though, how crappy would their stuff seem,

if we didn't have some really excellent stuff to compare it to...?

Then I realized!  Even crappier, probably,

since they'd have had nothing to struggle to emulate in the first place.

Enigma solved.

• Reply 24 of 222

Wall Street is still heavily betting on Google and Android as the most important mobile platform and I hope those ignorant mofos lose their shirts.  Apart from major market share there is no proof that Android is a superior platform to iOS.  Being popular doesn't make it good.  I personally think Apple is being treated unfairly based on low smartphone market share.  There's nothing to praise about cheap products and Wall Street shouldn't lump Android into some huge unified category of a platform.  There's far too many companies of all sorts building Android smartphones and tablets and all have their own personal agenda of taking other Android companies to task.  How can Wall Street back some Android OS that takes months and months to be updated and yet they get pissed if Apple has to pull an update in a day or so. Does anyone know how long it will take before 70% of all Android devices are on the same OS version?  Never.  I can assure you it will never happen.  I think they'd be lucky to have 60% of all Android devices on the same OS version at one time and I'm being very generous.  I can't even imagine what's going to happen when Android One becomes popular in BRIC nations.  With Samsung taking a beating some lesser companies with even lower quality standards are going to take over Android and consumers are really going to get hit hard.

• Reply 25 of 222
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    To their credit they've been warning about this spiral down for quite a while.
  • Reply 26 of 222
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

Well it seems of all the things they copied from Apple they apparently missed the money making items. ;)

-kpluck

• Reply 27 of 222
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member

The Next Big Thing is here...

The AppleTrain has left the USA/Europe station and is headed to China and the rest of the world, picking up Samsung defectors along the way.

When the AppleWatch ships, the gulf in quality between it and the (projected 10+) Samsung offerings will grow even more apparent. I'm curious what Samsung's next wearable will look like?

• Reply 28 of 222

Absolutely nothing.  They've already shot their load and now they're running on empty.  They're going to have to find some more companies to copy just to stay afloat.  I think Apple has already shut the door on them with the larger-display 64-bit processor iPhones.  Samsung has nothing to answer the 64-bit processor puzzle unless they're going to run to Intel's 64-bit platform and that doesn't seem likely.  If Samsung has had smartwatches out for a couple of years and have only sold a couple of million of them and Apple comes along and sells 10 million AppleWatches in a couple of months, that's really going to hurt Samsung's pride and pocket.  I doubt they can run out and build their own SoC and have thousands of apps ready.  Samsung had it's profit day in the sun and now the sun is setting for them.  Recovery is going to take at least a year or so if they can recover at all.  Apple isn't going to just sit still and may already have component and product pipelines that are set for a couple of years ahead.  Apple's A-series chip design division may be the biggest sleeper for Apple.

• Reply 29 of 222

i find it quite funny that samsung has spent a lot less on advertising this year and instead made cheap videos on youtube making fun of apple.  those commercials did nothing to help samsung. 

and you cannot imagine the disdain Korea has towards samsung, especially late teens to mid 30 your olds due to the corruption scandal.

also there is this:  http://news360.com/article/260545123    Koreans are moving to the security of iMessage.

• Reply 30 of 222
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

To their credit they've been warning about this spiral down for quite a while.

Q4-Q1 2015 is going to be a bloodbath for Samsung Mobile. Utter profit destruction.

That will probably mean that 90% of all smart phone profits will be Apples in 2015!! Would not be surprised if Apple's big pile of money (tm) would exceed 250B my the end of 2015....

• Reply 31 of 222
    "Samsung is just a box builder. And box builders are interchangeable." TheWhite falcon I agree. I am an Apple guy, I love my imac, Apple TV, my iPod, ipad, etc. So naturally I gravitate towards the iPhone. I think Samsung started believing there own hype. I think people started associating Samsung as the face of Android. Samsung was making people think (through advertising) that smart phones were a two pony show..the Galaxy and iPhone. It started to seem that way when the Galaxy 3 was introduced. A phone I actually liked. I even thought they would give Apple a run for their money...but than...the Apple bashing started..and the Galaxy 4 was released which wasn't much of an upgrade, the note (okay something a little different), than the Galaxy 5 which was hideous and more Apple bashing! The Galaxy became what I call the "walmart" phone...just pedestrian and cheap (even though Samsung was charging as much as an iPhone!) meanwhile, I saw the iPhone slowly improving with each phone and more importantly I saw other better Android phones emerge Like LG, HTC one (which I actually bought, but I did go back to Apple, but boy was that phone a stunner) MOTO X (2014) the HTC M8 (another beauty) and the NEXUS. All these phones in my opinion are far better than the Galaxy phones and in some ways better than the iPhone. But yet because Samsung has the money they flood the market with advertising and cheap phones (10 different Galaxy phones in 2013 alone!! Ridiculous!) Because of this the terrific phones I mentioned get overlooked. Samsung played a short game, were very profitable for awhile and now they just look desperate with the Galaxy Alpha they just released (looks oddly familiar..iPhone 5 clone) and the Note 4 they rushed to market. And yet they continue to bash Apple! Why!? If I was loyal to Android, I would think it for the best if Samsung stopped making phones. Then people can see that the better Android phones are made by LG, HTC, Motorola, etc. Until than I guess I will remain loyal to Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

i find it quite funny that samsung has spent a lot less on advertising this year and instead made cheap videos on youtube making fun of apple.  those commercials did nothing to help samsung. 

and you cannot imagine the disdain Korea has towards samsung, especially late teens to mid 30 your olds due to the corruption scandal.

also there is this:  http://news360.com/article/260545123    Koreans are moving to the security of iMessage.

To be honest, I don't see the "moving to the security of iMessage" part in the linked article.

• Reply 33 of 222

Samsung just hasn't been the same company since Steve Jobs died.

• Reply 34 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr4js View Post

Looking for a new fridge. No way I buy Samsung.

Watch out, some American brand appliances (some Maytags, for example) are rebadged Samsung. Check the country of origin. Our Korean-made rebadged Maytag washer was a total piece.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What do they have left to pursue that can turn profits around dramatically?

Split the company. Competitors like Apple won't buy their displays and semiconductors due to competition. This is why formerly integrated companies, like HP, AT&T and IBM, have split up over the last two decades. Technology is too capital intensive and too commoditized to not have outside customers.

• Reply 35 of 222

Seems like everyone here is happy. Not so gloomy for such a news. HAHA :smokey:

• Reply 36 of 222
    To be honest, I don't see the "moving to the security of iMessage" part in the linked article.

In the article no, but as someone who has been living in Seoul, people are moving over. The iPhone is very expensive here, but the choice for most people is LG or Apple on the high end and Vega on the low end of the smartphone list.
  • Reply 37 of 222

Ecosystem wins

• Reply 38 of 222
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

iPhone 6 and 6 Plus just went thermonuclear on Samsung. BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 39 of 222
    Maybe we can finally get back to the way things should be: Samsung making parts for Apple products.
  • Reply 40 of 222
    Some of Samsung's leadership must not be so bright. After all, it has been well known in the television industry that people aren't buying TV much. This is why so many companies have left the TV market. Samsung is one of the last remaining ones trying to eek out a living in it. And it was sorely tempted to separate itself from its television unit during the height of its Galazy phone.