Samsung warns of massive 60% decline in profits for Q3, cites stiff smartphone competition

Comments

• Reply 41 of 222
    alfiejr wrote: »
    but but but but ... Android is winning! all the smart guys on all the hip web sites (sorry, AI) say so - over and over and over and over ...
    I like that, Samsung is the Charlie Sheen of phone makers.
  • Reply 42 of 222
    The next big thing is already here%u2026 Samsung to announce their all new Phabtop. It's a phone, it's a tablet, and it's a laptop. 13" screen size that curve around your head.
  • Reply 43 of 222
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer company. They deserve everything they are now getting.
  • Reply 44 of 222
    Quote:

Samsung said it plans to grow marketshare going into the fourth quarter with new devices like the Note 4 and entry-level options tailored for burgeoning markets. Of special interest to all smartphone makers is the booming Chinese market, in which Samsung has reportedly lowered pricing to stay relevant.

So...

Your profit margins are shrinking.

What do you do?  Make a better phone?  no.  Make an Entry level phone for 'burgeoning' markets.  

Sell more phones, cheaply, and hope volume will increase profits.

Yeah, that works, until everyone else lowers the prices on their phones as well.

Has anyone explained to Samsung that there are no winners in the race to the bottom?

• Reply 45 of 222
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

I think it was $13-14 billion. It's more than the net profit of Google in 2013. Also, Samsung has to pay Microsoft somewhere in the area of $1 billion per year for licensing. In contrast, I think Apple spends about $1 billion on marketing per year. Contrast that to many Apple haters' opinion that Apple is 'just marketing' is pretty amusing.

Thanks. That puts it into perspective.
    If that # is correct or thereabouts, that is a last throw of the dice strategy.
    Throw poorly implemented features at the products then throw an obscene amount of money into advertising in the hope that the tide will turn.
    The tide has turned - about 6 years ago.
    Sammy charted a course right into the rocks on a king tide and now they're high and dry.
  • Reply 46 of 222
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

With margins thin already but trying to attract customers, Samsung decided to have a big sale. After looking at the proposed discounts, an analyst questioned the strategy, noting that they would lose money on each transaction.

Samsung said, "That's okay -- we'll make it up on volume!"

• Reply 47 of 222
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... insiders claim the company's electronics division may undergo a major restructuring in attempts to diversify beyond a reliance on smartphones ...

I'm sure they can find some other smash-hit products to copy badly.

But yeah, good riddance.

• Reply 48 of 222
    b9bot wrote: »
    iPhone 6 and 6 Plus just went thermonuclear on Samsung. BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lololololololololol!!!
  • Reply 49 of 222
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Who the **** couldn't see this coming? It was only a matter of time. Samsung's strategy of saturating advertising, and their primary hook of larger screen size was never sustainable. This is only the beginning of the decline, they will never be able to recover. They're falling further behind in software, services, hardware, and design. I look forward to their implosion in the mobile space, and their increasingly desperate and empty marketing strategies. 

• Reply 50 of 222
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

Good heavens, this day couldn't get any better! :))) Thanks Samsung! The day you are finally out of business, world will smell lot better

• Reply 51 of 222
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Who the **** couldn't see this coming? It was only a matter of time. Samsung's strategy of saturating advertising, and their primary hook of larger screen size was never sustainable. This is only the beginning of the decline, they will never be able to recover. They're falling further behind in software, services, hardware, and design. I look forward to their implosion in the mobile space, and their increasingly desperate and empty marketing strategies. 

The thing is - no one could call what they're doing "marketing".
    You're completely correct saying, empty marketing strategies.
    They simply don't understand the principles nor the meaning.
  • Reply 52 of 222
    "cites-stiff-smartphone-competition"

Translate: Apple made it more difficult for Samsung to steal IP.
  • Reply 53 of 222
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Just bought a 50" LCD TV. the sales clerk recommended Samsung and I said no FK'n way and purchased a beautiful LG model. Go FK yourself Samesung! Oops, you already did!
  • Reply 54 of 222
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ifimple View Post

"Samsung is just a box builder. And box builders are interchangeable." TheWhite falcon I agree. I am an Apple guy, I love my imac, Apple TV, my iPod, ipad, etc. So naturally I gravitate towards the iPhone. I think Samsung started believing there own hype. I think people started associating Samsung as the face of Android. Samsung was making people think (through advertising) that smart phones were a two pony show..the Galaxy and iPhone. It started to seem that way when the Galaxy 3 was introduced. A phone I actually liked. I even thought they would give Apple a run for their money...but than...the Apple bashing started..and the Galaxy 4 was released which wasn't much of an upgrade, the note (okay something a little different), than the Galaxy 5 which was hideous and more Apple bashing! The Galaxy became what I call the "walmart" phone...just pedestrian and cheap (even though Samsung was charging as much as an iPhone!) meanwhile, I saw the iPhone slowly improving with each phone and more importantly I saw other better Android phones emerge Like LG, HTC one (which I actually bought, but I did go back to Apple, but boy was that phone a stunner) MOTO X (2014) the HTC M8 (another beauty) and the NEXUS. All these phones in my opinion are far better than the Galaxy phones and in some ways better than the iPhone. But yet because Samsung has the money they flood the market with advertising and cheap phones (10 different Galaxy phones in 2013 alone!! Ridiculous!) Because of this the terrific phones I mentioned get overlooked. Samsung played a short game, were very profitable for awhile and now they just look desperate with the Galaxy Alpha they just released (looks oddly familiar..iPhone 5 clone) and the Note 4 they rushed to market. And yet they continue to bash Apple! Why!? If I was loyal to Android, I would think it for the best if Samsung stopped making phones. Then people can see that the better Android phones are made by LG, HTC, Motorola, etc. Until than I guess I will remain loyal to Apple.

In a perverse way perhaps Samsung is helping Apple, all the people who bought the Galaxy were thinking because of Samsung's advertising they were getting a superior phone to the iPhone. But they were actually getting an inferior product. What Samsung has done is cripple HTC and Motorola over the last 2 years, perhaps now the HTC and MOTO will stage a come back? The question now will be will the other high end phones take up the slack or will the iPhone take market share from Android. I'm assuming a bit of both is actually happening

• Reply 55 of 222
    freerange wrote: »
    Just bought a 50" LCD TV. the sales clerk recommended Samsung and I said no FK'n way and purchased a beautiful LG model. Go FK yourself Samesung! Oops, you already did!

Sales clerks don't get to suggest anything to me; they do as they're told. Those are my terms of sale.
  • Reply 56 of 222
    b9bot wrote: »
    iPhone 6 and 6 Plus just went thermonuclear on Samsung. BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's how I understood it. Even though the new phones are oversized for single hand use, Apple is going after the monster screen Android phones like the Galaxy with a vengeance, particularly in markets dominated by monster screen phones.
  • Reply 57 of 222
    even though they tried to spoil the satisfaction of Apple customers through misleading trolling.

Good.
  • Reply 58 of 222
    acgmphacgmph Posts: 48member

Had to buy a TV last month and the two options were Samsung and LG. Chose LG because f**k Samsung. The BestBuy guy was flabbergasted, but said I was not the only one. Our boycott is working 8-)

• Reply 59 of 222
    Today would be a good day for Apple to deny the "we got the 14 nanometer chip contract from Apple" rumour (that Samsung leaked)
    Come on Apple. Tread the dirt down !
  • Reply 60 of 222

They blantantly copied the iPhone. They simply deserved those results. I hope they focus on making great products like HTC One instead of mocking Apple.