Samsung warns of massive 60% decline in profits for Q3, cites stiff smartphone competition

Comments

• Reply 61 of 222
    rissriss Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Everyone sees what HP and Dell look like today, right? That's Samsung in three years. Low cost crap that's only riding along due to brand recognition.

Samsung had a brand recognition? ;) I really doubt it (as a brand).... it stands for products and stuff but there's zero aspiration to that logo

anyway, glad to see they are hitting the wall soon, looking forward to the endless innovation stream from that wrecked Android train :) 

• Reply 62 of 222
    formosa wrote: »

When the AppleWatch ships, the gulf in quality between it and the (projected 10+) Samsung offerings will grow even more apparent. I'm curious what Samsung's next wearable will look like?

I imagin Samsung's next wearable will look like a man wearing only a barrel...
  • Reply 63 of 222
    slurpy wrote: »
    Who the **** couldn't see this coming? It was only a matter of time. Samsung's strategy of saturating advertising, and their primary hook of larger screen size was never sustainable. This is only the beginning of the decline, they will never be able to recover. They're falling further behind in software, services, hardware, and design. I look forward to their implosion in the mobile space, and their increasingly desperate and empty marketing strategies. 

Speaking of implosions... This has gotta affect Google. After all Sammy is Google's biggest single customer for Android OS. Apple isn't feeding user data to Goodle like before, and I think the low-end Chinese manufacturers have their own search and play services... User data has gotta be going dark for the mother ship... Once Apple ships the new Mac OS, Google will see almost no search data from Mac users... W00t
  • Reply 64 of 222
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I have to wonder if Apple had larger iPhone models designed for previous years but waited until this year when their previous models were running into a growth wall and Samsung [I]et al.[/I] were starting to see a decline after running into a growth wall. A part of me says that's unlikely but the move to the iPhone 6 series this year is likely to not only boost iPhone unit sales, revenue and profits, but also increase their ASP as well further cause harm to their competitors in the process by eating into their higher-end market. That just sounds like it's too well thought out to purely be a coincidence.
  • Reply 65 of 222

Well it is not strange, I bought last year a Samsung Phone galaxy III, the only thing is noticeable is the screen for the rest it's a big delusion it's battery lasted just less than one year before burning and leaving me in the shit for one day and to buy another one I had to go to the assistance and pay an extra of 25 euros and also they told the warranty for the battery last only 6 months. I was furios. It is the lack of quality of samsung that is driving it's custumares away they think they are smart propping many models and super processor and spechs but in real  in the end after a while you start to feel delusion. I feel trapped with my phone it's so terribly slow as the memory is filled and the battery the new one after only three months is starting giving me troubles. I will never buy a Samsung ever in may life again, maybe a screen the only thing they are really good at. Samsung you are fool you could have done things with real quality you have the power to do so. And instead you cheat on your clients!!!

• Reply 66 of 222

Well it is not strange, I bought last year a Samsung Phone galaxy III, the only thing is noticeable is the screen for the rest it's a big delusion it's battery lasted just less than one year before burning and leaving me in the shit for one day and to buy another one I had to go to the assistance and pay an extra of 25 euros and also they told the warranty for the battery last only 6 months. I was furios. It is the lack of quality of samsung that is driving it's custumares away they think they are smart propping many models and super processor and spechs but in real  in the end after a while you start to feel delusion. I feel trapped with my phone it's so terribly slow as the memory is filled and the battery the new one after only three months is starting giving me troubles. I will never buy a Samsung ever in may life again, maybe a screen the only thing they are really good at. Samsung you are fool you could have done things with real quality you have the power to do so. And instead you cheat on your clients!!!

• Reply 67 of 222
    NOTHERONE DITES THE DUST!
  • Reply 68 of 222
    Hmmmm, 2 notes here. Wow, that phone sure looks like the iPhone 5s. And, maybe the decline in the TV segment is because people are looking for other brands to punish them for, you know, the blatant theft of iOS. Just a thought, I know I am.
  • Reply 69 of 222
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Fellow members of AI…..our collective Samsung boycott is working. ;)

Yeah, no way I buy products from this scum. Shopped for 70-80" HDTV and settled for Sharp Aquos which is really nice.

• Reply 70 of 222
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

In a perverse way perhaps Samsung is helping Apple, all the people who bought the Galaxy were thinking because of Samsung's advertising they were getting a superior phone to the iPhone. But they were actually getting an inferior product. What Samsung has done is cripple HTC and Motorola over the last 2 years, perhaps now the HTC and MOTO will stage a come back? The question now will be will the other high end phones take up the slack or will the iPhone take market share from Android. I'm assuming a bit of both is actually happening

You are correct that HTC, Motorola, and I'd add Sony and LG, will benefit from a decreasing Samsung sales and advertising budget, but each has the same problem that Samsung had; they don't control the OS, each is somewhat at the mercy of carriers, and none can compete with Apple for ecosystem or mindshare. They are just as likely to suffer margin compression as Samsung, albeit they get some breathing room and maybe some real profits.

Forgotten amongst this is Windows Phone, which might see some relief just from Samsung's carrier dominance, but otherwise, MS needs a home run with Windows 10 and future surface models to gain some mindshare and halo sales, something that Xbox hasn't been a strong driver of.

A successful Apple Watch launch and some new category next year would really solidify Apple's ecosystem advantages.

• Reply 71 of 222
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member
    At the risk of sounding like I am preaching to the choir, I can only say that Samsung is just reaping what they have sown here. They opted to prioritize market share over long term profitability, so it's little surprise that they find themselves in their current situation.

When you think about it, Apple's ecosystem started over 10 years ago with iTunes and the iPod, and everything they have done since then serves only to add value to that platform. Samsung can't even get their photos gallery to load properly on their phones (just the other day, my friend wanted to show me some photos on her note 3, and she had to tap it thrice to launch the app, never mind how long the preview images took to render and how laggy the scrolling experience was). Forget about them trying to create their own ecosystem.

What I am interested in knowing more about is whether this phenomenon is confined solely to Samsung, or if it is simply the harbinger of worse things to come for the rest of the Android OEM market. Where will that leave struggling companies like HTC, who are barely turning a profit these days?
  • Reply 72 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Yeah, no way I buy products from this scum. Shopped for 70-80" HDTV and settled for Sharp Aquos which is really nice.

There was an interesting story WRT those larger TV models. It seems that buyers given the choice of 60 inch, 70 inch, and 80 inch would preferentially go for the 70 inch as the 80 inch was seen as "too big". Sharp then creates a 90 inch, and all of the sudden, the 80 inch seems just right and the 90 inch was "too big". Savvy marketing.

I've been buying LG products for awhile, and no problems, but I'd love to have one of the Sharp Quattron models.

• Reply 73 of 222
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    abazigal wrote: »
    What I am interested in knowing more about is whether this phenomenon is confined solely to Samsung, or if it is simply the harbinger of worse things to come for the rest of the Android OEM market. Where will that leave struggling companies like HTC, who are barely turning a profit these days?

My guess is that Samsung being the largest of the OEMs it's just going to the most notable change because of market saturation and Apple's move, and this is not a case of other OEMs using Android pulling business away from Samsung.
  • Reply 74 of 222
    cfuglecfugle Posts: 34member
    Unless another big Asian company appears out of nowhere, a large loss in competition is a bad thing for consumers. I am an Apple fan through and through but even Apple can get lazy without a desire to improve due to market forces. The small amount of changes Samsung did to alter the smartphone market did have an effect on Apple.... It forced then to maintain lower end devices longer for different zones to be relevant in India and newer markets, it pushed them to make sharper, brighter and better displays to compete.As we now see, phablet-sized devices that we have to give Samsung the credit for, are now back ordered up the 'ging-gong' everywhere it has launched with next-launch countries taking on massive pre-orders for these newer larger iPhones...
    Samsung sold enough product around the world to make a difference to Apple. That's what matters here. Imagine if you will a Samsung free world where iPhones are only launched every 3-4 years and IOS match the rollout speed. Which other manufacturer today can keep up with Apple worldwide...none.
  • Reply 75 of 222

where are all the usual android and samscum apologist?

they are trying to find a good spin to put on this...

try as they may, they are all losers

• Reply 76 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cfugle View Post

Unless another big Asian company appears out of nowhere, a large loss in competition is a bad thing for consumers. I am an Apple fan through and through but even Apple can get lazy without a desire to improve due to market forces. The small amount of changes Samsung did to alter the smartphone market did have an effect on Apple.... It forced then to maintain lower end devices longer for different zones to be relevant in India and newer markets, it pushed them to make sharper, brighter and better displays to compete.As we now see, phablet-sized devices that we have to give Samsung the credit for, are now back ordered up the 'ging-gong' everywhere it has launched with next-launch countries taking on massive pre-orders for these newer larger iPhones...

Samsung sold enough product around the world to make a difference to Apple. That's what matters here. Imagine if you will a Samsung free world where iPhones are only launched every 3-4 years and IOS match the rollout speed. Which other manufacturer today can keep up with Apple worldwide...none.

If it wasn't Samsung, it would be some other large company competing with Apple; it might even have been Google at some point. I"m not sure some of what you attribute to competition with Samsung was actually competition or just good business practices of Apple, because last I heard from the competition, Apple was building a "2012" device.

• Reply 77 of 222
    ifimple wrote: »
    "If I was loyal to Android, I would think it for the best if Samsung stopped making phones. Then people can see that the better Android phones are made by LG, HTC, Motorola, etc. Until than I guess I will remain loyal to Apple.

The last line made me laugh, I'm sure you see the dichotomy.

It's astonishing how much fluctuation is in the Android market. One thing I remember reading was how Xiaomi got a major Google exec a little while back. You have to wonder if Google is working for and against Samsung. Google was worried about one company having too much share, a company who could introduce a new operating system, like Tizen. Now, if you're an Android manufacturer you have to wonder: will you ever be able to rise to your full potential or will your OS maker continually check your success and balance it against other Android makers. Google doesn't want any one company to succeed, it's not in their best interests.

Looking at Samsung's playbook from the past year, they must be ripping their hair out. I mean, spending 13 billion on ads alone, I'm sure they had an internal goal of outselling Apple. Why else would you spend that exorbitant amount - especially when every dollar bashed Apple? Add to that their internal emails obsessing over Apple and you have a company singular in intent. Compare that to where they are today, projecting a 60% decline in profits... They're not just losing momentum, they're in full decline. Let's face it, it's all because of their Galaxy phone. So, they must be ripping their hair out.
  • Reply 78 of 222
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gym-rat View Post

Samsung just hasn't been the same company since Steve Jobs died.

troll harder

• Reply 79 of 222
    Don't you mean "Bendy" competition?
  • Reply 80 of 222
    cfugle wrote: »

We know competition is good for Apple, no one said different. Why don't you turn it around and say competition is good for Samsung, and Apple's success will only strengthen their resolve? This is a glory day, rejoice and be glad!