Samsung warns of massive 60% decline in profits for Q3, cites stiff smartphone competition

Comments

• Reply 101 of 222
    Wall Street is still heavily betting on Google and Android as the most important mobile platform and I hope those ignorant mofos lose their

Problem with that is they will take it out on Main Street who eventually will have to bail them out. Again.
  • Reply 102 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

You're on a site called AppleInsider dude, what'd you expect? You go on to politely and thoroughly explain everything we've all known and talked about. Which is that Samesung doesn't make a good phone, and competition is good. Now that the pleasantries are out of the way...

Apples phones are way better than the competition, and here's why: no feature creep, no gimmicks, good balance of battery life - size of phone, great materials, 64 bit OS, ecosystem is best of all ecosystems by far, large install base of latest OS means features like health book and home kit will be the first of their kind to succeed, best security and finger print technology, will drive mass digital credit card adoption for first time, Siri is the best assistant - especially for geofencing and logical tasks, they use a lot of green energy which is a huge deal, and mostly just the basics.. they're not trying to simply get your next $200, instead they're mostly trying to make a product they're proud of. You know that as soon as you use one of their products for a few weeks. That makes a big difference, i.e. My brother in law has the latest Galaxy, and always tries to talk it up in front of me, and asked me to takes some photos. I pressed the camera shutter button every way I could, but could only take like 5 photos for 20 presses. And the shots looked blurry and noisy, it was kind of dark in the room. I showed him the photos - which was hard because it was slow at detecting my finger swipes, and wouldn't show the next picture until I swiped a couple times. He put his phone away. A few minutes later I wanted to take some more, and I wasn't trying to show off.. but I got out my iPhone 6 and clicked the shutter about 7 times, and was happy with 6 of them. And it took the photos when I pressed, so I got the moments I wanted. What I like about Apple, is that you get all the latest features of any other company, plus awesome style, plus the features are rock solid and don't have feature creep. That's what I mean by making a product you're proud of, instead of one with gimmicks.

Well I can add another person to the rational list.  Cool.  Having a zealot like community does not promote thoughtful discussion and it is a huge turnoff.  I don't like frequenting the strong android forums for the same reason.  I do like coming here from time to time to see comments from people who genuinely enjoy Apple products but get disheartened by the quality of discussion from some people when any kind of criticism is leveled at Apple.  I know there is the block button but I believe that censorship is not the path to healthy debate or a good way to open your mind to new ideas.

While there are several things about Apple that turn me away from their products, I freely admit that the build quality of their products is top notch and they have some great designs (though I'm not a fan of what Jony has been doing as of late).  That being said, I wouldn't say that Samsung makes a bad phone, in fact it is quite good and has been quite durable (for my family members who had one).  There has been the odd lemon but I've also had friend who have had iPhones that seemed like they were built on a Friday afternoon.   I believe that Samsung became a bit complacent on the last two iterations of the Galaxy phone in terms of design (look of the phone) and not changing/improving the material quality of the phone when it was clearly noted that people would prefer a high end looking phone.  The actual phone itself is quite good.  As I mentioned, I'm not a fan of TouchWiz  (prefer stock android myself or as close to it as I can get).  As for your experience with the S5, that is unfortunate, I've used a few of them and I've got some pretty good shots with them - the low light photography on all smartphones is pretty dismal but what can you expect based on the specs they've got to work with?

Your points about the iPhone are well taken.  It does offer a pretty darn good level of features and you know what you are going to get.  The camera phone software has consistently been the one things that I've thought Apple has had a one up over everyone else but after I got my G2, I was more than happy with my phone camera (plus the 2 day battery life) and no longer worry about it (One of my hobbies is photography so I always have my DSLR with me).  That being said, I would like it if Google put the level of effort into their camera software that Apple has since the tech in some of the Android phones is identical (Sony lens and all).

As for your other points about the iPhone and why you think it is the best, I agree with some and disagree with others but I won't go into that at point as I've already gone off topic enough.  :)

• Reply 103 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Just bought a 50" LCD TV. the sales clerk recommended Samsung and I said no FK'n way and purchased a beautiful LG model. Go FK yourself Samesung! Oops, you already did!

Now we talk'n! Well done.:smokey:

• Reply 104 of 222
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Samsung is in the middle of cross fire between Apple and android manufacturers from Google/Lenovo/Moto, Chinese, HTC, LG, Sony, etc...There is not much that Samsung will be able to offer as distinguishable android phone vs other android offerings. It is hard to make money when the smartphone spectrum from the high end to low end has become competitive and all android manufacturers fighting for the same slice of pie along with Chinese manufacturers selling for little profit.
  • Reply 105 of 222

Executives will be jumping out of windows...

Samsung is to Korea as Comcast is to Philadelphia.

Giant corrupt corporation could take them both down as they fail.

• Reply 106 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Fellow members of AI…..our collective Samsung boycott is working. ;)

You mean except for the chips in your electronics? If Apple only delivers the best (and I believe this, for a given price point, for hardware), and they deliver products utilizing Samsung products, wouldn't it follow that a failing of Samsung will lower the Apple experience (or limit advances)?

I agree that their phones suck, and it's annoying how popular they are in spite of that fact. They have chips figured out though, and I've never had one of their TVs fail. I don't like their appliances, but in general, it's just this phone thing that's annoying. They're trying so hard, with the wrong approach, but I guess they are still turning a profit.

• Reply 107 of 222
    mr4js wrote: »
    Looking for a new fridge. No way I buy Samsung.

Indeed! Because of their shifty business practises exemplified in the smart phone market, I have vowed to never support either their "smart" phones nor any product that has their name on it. The sooner that Apple can eradicate Scamsum components from being included inside their own products the better!
  • Reply 108 of 222
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    mr4js wrote: »
    Looking for a new fridge. No way I buy Samsung.

I was in Sears the other day and saw a really nice looking GE refrigerator. Then I saw a Samsung refrigerator that looked just like the GE refrigerator. Go figure.
  • Reply 109 of 222
    waltgwaltg Posts: 90member
    Before everyone jumps on the Samsung go broke bandwagon, think about the competition that they offer and that is good. While their op system is different it still works well and they have some good equipment. Yes I have apple, but a lot of my friends have the Samsung equipment and it works very well. I for one hope that they come back with greater technology and continue to push apple and the rest of the world in competition. Ask yourself one question and be honest,,,,, without the Samsung competition, would you have a large screen 6 and 6 iphone???
  • Reply 110 of 222
    sog35 wrote: »
    This is EXACTLY what i predicted 6 months ago.

I said if Apple brought out the 4.7 and 5.5 they would utterly destroy Samsung in 12 months.
    I predicted their profits would be cut in half.

Shockingly this is happening alot faster than even I predicted.

To those who thought the 5.5 was a mistake this is ROCK SOLID PROOF IT WAS NOT.  It was the best thing Apple could do to totally destroy Samsung.

I don't think Apple thought it was a mistake. I think Apple just didn't believe the technology was right previously to release larger phones which didn't have to compromise performance.
  • Reply 111 of 222

The thing with Apple is not just a phone but an ecosystem. And none works better.  I am pretty busy and I am not interested in the "firework effects": "Look dude, I can turn on my TV with this one, or if I just move my hand...".  I am interested in technology that just works and moves out of the way so I can be creative or productive.

• Reply 112 of 222
    You mean except for the chips in your electronics? If Apple only delivers the best (and I believe this, for a given price point, for hardware), and they deliver products utilizing Samsung products, wouldn't it follow that a failing of Samsung will lower the Apple experience (or limit advances)?

I agree that their phones suck, and it's annoying how popular they are in spite of that fact. They have chips figured out though, and I've never had one of their TVs fail. I don't like their appliances, but in general, it's just this phone thing that's annoying. They're trying so hard, with the wrong approach, but I guess they are still turning a profit.

No because Samsung is merely contracted to build things to Apple's specifications. For example the main processor. Apple designed the chip not Samsung. Apple can contract other parties such as it is starting to do with the main processors, and displays.

Further, in some cases Apple invested in Samsung to allow it to develop technologies for Apple. Displays is an example. Apple can and does invest in other companies to produce technologies it desires.

Moreover Samsung does the same thing in just about every market it is in. Samsung borrowed Sharp's display technologies, which had been developing LCDs far longer than any other party. Sharp is also a better company to buy a TV from. Samsung does not use its own displays in all of its products. For example it is common for it to put its own displays in the demo model but use inferior third-party contractors in the actual product it sells resulting in varying quality of TVs. There are forums on the Internet filled with people complaining about this. Sharp only uses its own displays in all of its TVs it sells. I would never buy a Samsung TV.

Samsung is always stealing LG's technologies, copied Dyson's vacuum cleaner design, and the list goes on. Supporting Samsung is the same as supporting the death of innovation, as it undermines truly innovative companies.
  • Reply 113 of 222
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

Seeing this Samsung Galaxy Alpha which looks exactly larger version copy of iphone 5. Someone said, If you want to copy than copy like Samsung. No shame, no dignity. To counter such bad corporate behavior and teach lesson; American, European, Russians, Asians smartphone buyers need to act to disband, boycott  buying Samsung phones.. Shameful when Samsung follow corporate slogan, "If you can't innovate/compete than copy."

• Reply 114 of 222
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sammy, karma's a bitch.

Where are the market share preachers?
  • Reply 115 of 222

And Apple will benefit from Samsung's well run foundry and research in electronics.  This is exactly what the market wants. Apple to continue to make innovative products.  Samsung to make good parts and a few knock off me too devices for the Android market.  

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.  Samsung dying is not a good thing for America, Apple or Korea.  Samsung making longterm profits from copying Apple is not good either.  I would suspect that Tim Cook will wrap up any new lawsuits if the Market keeps recognizing the innovator.  The real problem Apple had with Samsung was the copying of the look and feel of Apple's phones and software. Samsung has backed off of the most egregious violations, and that is all Apple needs.  Apple remains dependent on Samsung for the highest quality parts for it's own ecosystem.  

• Reply 116 of 222
    nousernouser Posts: 65member

This points out a MAJOR error in Samsung's idiotic marketing strategy.  You can't call a potential customer stupid for owning a competing product and have that customer ever consider your product(s).  Samsung makes a lot of products, not just smartphones.  You called me stupid for choosing an iPhone, so why would I consider buying your TV, your washer, your dryer, your refrigerator, your dishwasher, your anything?  In effect you just closed the door on ever selling to me and I suspect millions of customers like me.  Yesterday I bought a new washer and dryer,  My choice was the top of the line LG. Sammy loses again.

• Reply 117 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

No because Samsung is merely contracted to build things to Apple's specifications. For example the main processor. Apple designed the chip not Samsung. Apple can contract other parties such as it is starting to do with the main processors, and displays.

Further, in some cases Apple invested in Samsung to allow it to develop technologies for Apple. Displays is an example. Apple can and does invest in other companies to produce technologies it desires.

Design is one thing, but if you hand your kitchen cabinet design to different cabinetmakers, you will prefer the results of some to the results of others. My main point is that all thing considered, there is a reason that Apple still writes checks to Samsung.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Moreover Samsung does the same thing in just about every market it is in. Samsung borrowed Sharp's display technologies, which had been developing LCDs far longer than any other party. Sharp is also a better company to buy a TV from. Samsung does not use its own displays in all of its products. For example it is common for it to put its own displays in the demo model but use inferior third-party contractors in the actual product it sells resulting in varying quality of TVs. There are forums on the Internet filled with people complaining about this. Sharp only uses its own displays in all of its TVs it sells. I would never buy a Samsung TV.

Well that sucks. I have a couple large screen purchases coming up and will have to freshen my intel on various mfgrs. Thanks.

• Reply 118 of 222
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

You guys buying an LG HDTV -- instead of a Samsung -- have a whole different problem:  LG TV phones home with your viewing habits, names of files you screen, even if you tell it not to - Boing Boing

I un"smart"ened my LG HDTV by killing the WiFi connectivity; I recommend you all do the same.

• Reply 118 of 222

It is more complicated than you imply. Apple has to use Samsung's recipe for making the actual chip.  There are very significant interplays between the chip and the foundry that effect the quality of the product.  Intel still has the best foundry.  They lack the best design for mobile because they tried to deny where the technology was taking them.  Low power was not Intel's strong suit.  ARM and Power chips have always been ahead of Intel in this area.  While Denson scaling was still working, high power chips were the most valuable.  Now that the power envelope is locked down and frequency is no longer increasing for the high power chips, we are looking at game where Intel's greatest strengths are not driving market adoption.  

Intel is not dead.  They have a chance to get back on top if a new process can increase frequency, and they are spending large amounts to bring photonics on line to do just that.  Photonic chips will have much lower leakage, higher frequency ranges and much faster communications between seperate nodes.  

• Reply 120 of 222
    Samsung's "Bendgraph" ? Oh my