Apple issues second beta of iOS 8.1, new Xcode & Apple TV builds to developers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

…the rest of the OS is going to be substandard.

lolno.

Color me disillusioned, but, yes.

• Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'd like to see Apple de-couple iOS releases from iPhone releases. What we'll probably find is 8.1 really should have been 8.0 but 8.0 has to launch when the phones did. Except did it really? Is there anything in 8.0 that was a must have for the phone launch? Apple Pay isn't available yet. Extensions and 3rd party keyboards aren't specific to the new phones. The only thing(s) I can think of would be camera specific software changes that only apply to the 6/6 Plus (if there are any) and the UI changes specific to the 6 Plus. But would opening weekend sales really have been stunted had Apple said iOS 8 would be available in October?

What? Of course iOS8 has to be released with the iPhone.

The iPhone 6 and 6+ are completely dependant on iOS8. Resolutions of the new phones are obviously not supported on iOS7. Schiller said they used a desktop-grade scaler to make apps compatible with these devices. iOS7 would of made apps look ridiculous on these phones.

Not to mention Apple have to make all of their own apps compatible and have new views on the 6+

Then there is the firmware and driver support. There are obviously hardware differences between the 6/6+ and previous generation phones. There needs to be software to support that.

It would be ludicrous to release new phones and not have new software to support them.

8.1 will have iPad specific updates, along with Apple Pay. Two items that are not yet ready for release.

• Reply 23 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Color me disillusioned, but, yes.

Mmm, nah.

• Reply 24 of 31
    Moving forward, Apple has to figure out a way to swap older OS with 8.x/9/10 with out needing ~40% of their entry level (16GB) smartphone storage.

They should have some heuristics about the amt of free space a typical smartphone usually got and work with in those bounds. With content (photos/music/videos) explosion for everyday consumer usage, it may not be wise to expect the consumers to have their smartphone's 40% space free.

Now, you may suggest that apple have instructions on how to clean-up and get the device ready for update..Every time you have those pre-req manual steps involved rather than a simple OTA update, the adoption will be very slow and gradual and might not happen at all with a subset of tech-barriered-demographic.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    There is also an issue where AirPlay doesn't work if you haven't updated your ATV OS and your device is running iOS 8.2
  • Reply 26 of 31
    wood1208 wrote: »
    Apple is like lean, mean, working machine. More power to Apple to stay on top of Software updates so quickly, and is beyond my imagination. Unlike Android phones where if you are lucky, you get update every some years and also lucky if your phone manufacturers willing to put resources to work on and release to your cell carriers and than if they feel fits in their strategy than put extra crap-ware and than release to you. Do you think, your android phone will ever get update with bugs, security fixes, etc... So decide where you want to spend your hard earn money to keep spending every year on new android phone just to get software update or best, easier to go with Apple where they will support 3 generations(4s,5,5s) older iphones with updates.

I agree although this time around they needed to be as there have been a ton of issues with ios 8.

My most annoying bug is the Banners freeze. Driving me nuts.

I have email banners on and i am thinking of removing it because I currently have to wait for the Banners to diasppear otherwise it will freeze.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Anyone heard anything about the Maildrop feature?

I can't wait to send people a 5 gb file of me pooping.

Maildeucedrop
  • Reply 28 of 31
    neilmneilm Posts: 995member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Adoption of iOS 8.0 and up has been relatively slow, by Apple's standards, with 47 percent of devices tracked through the App Store running the latest point-zero release.

They're afraid iOS 8 will make their iPhones bend. :D

• Reply 29 of 31
    Fix 5GGz wifi connectivity to 802.11ac
  • Reply 30 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Of note for those iOS users who enjoy those old Pokemon and DonkeyKong games and rely on emulators for play on their non-jailbroken iDevice.: News is that 8.1 is going to close the hole that allows those emulators to work.

[SIZE=4]"The next version of iOS may not be an upgrade for fans who use their iDevices to emulate classic games. The latest beta version of iOS 8.1 removes the famous (or infamous) "Date Trick" workaround used by iOS emulator makers to bypass App Store restrictions on their work, without the need to jailbreak the device.

Apple rules have long prevented emulators for classic game consoles and computers from appearing on the App Store, though some have managed to sneak their way through briefly (or more officially through licensing deal with rights holders). Since last year, though, the makers of emulators like GBA4iOS and SNES emulator SiOS have relied on a loophole called the "Date Trick" to allow these apps (and ROM files) to be downloaded and installed through the built-in Safari browser. The trick gets around restrictions on unsigned apps by setting the device's date back at least two months, allowing users to easily run emulators to their heart's content without jailbreaking.

iOS 8.1 beta testers are reporting those days of easy emulation seem to be coming to an end in the latest update, though. GBA4iOS tester Dario Sepulveda writes that iOS 8.1 Beta 2 blocks the Date Trick workaround, cutting off the ability to install the app."
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/ios-8-1-plugs-security-hole-that-made-it-easy-to-install-emulators/[/SIZE]

Man, they just ruin everyone's fun. /s
  • Reply 31 of 31

That reminds me, I should re-jailbreak my iPad and put Windows 95 back on it.