Teens 'tepid' on Apple Watch as iPhone and iPad steal Android marketshare

Comments

• Reply 41 of 284
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Apple hasn't designed anything this ugly since the toilet seat iBook. Ive designed that too.

Enough already. You really don't have to say that more that once a thread.
  • Reply 42 of 284
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    They will sell every one they make... How many that is remains to be seen.

Location aware environments are key to this watch/wearable business.
  • Reply 43 of 284
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    The vast majority of teens need to carefully allocate their money. Any potential purchase in the $350 range will be scrutinized. Today's teens may not all be able to give you the definition of opportunity cost, but I'm confident the majority perform the evaluation daily. Only when a killer app emerges for the teen demographic will the watch take hold in that demographic. Fitness and health tracking don't meet the bar among a group of people who aren't yet aware of their mortality. Perhaps a clever social or gaming app will push the right buttons. It'll happen though, and then BAM, every teen will NEED one.
  • Reply 44 of 284
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    No one wants a small iphone.
  • Reply 45 of 284
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member

I know it won't be a hit. It won't be "the next thing." It will end up in a landfill along with Lisa's, Pippens, and eMates. 

• Reply 46 of 284
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What about the survey where they ask teens if they know what tepid means?
    :)
    And as been pointed out above, it is unlikely that 'teens' represent Apple's primary target market for the iWatch. And like the iPhone and iPad before it the iWatch needs to prove its real life utility before mass success is guaranteed.
  • Reply 47 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Apple will make wearables cool.

Just Watch.

Well, they're getting that way, according to this survey.

Teens are tepid on them, so it's only a short step to going cold. ????

• Reply 48 of 284
    Teens tepid? Teens don't even understand the concept of a watch. This is a generational thing. The iPhone isn't really a phone, its a portable tablet computer and pager (testing device). 99% of its use is not for voice for teens.

So expecting teens to want a watch is illogical considering their frame of reference.

If you want to know the time, you look at the phone, not your wrist. Its more accurate.

Apple Watch is misnamed... it should be Apple Wrist.
  • Reply 49 of 284
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Well, they're getting that way, according to this survey.

Teens are tepid on them, so it's only a short step to going cold. ????

Oh, ha. Clever.
  • Reply 50 of 284

A "watch"? You mean that clock bracelet you wear?

http://ispot.tv/a/76Ke

• Reply 51 of 284
    This is the problem with today's youth. They don't understand how to apply technology. ?Watch is the culmination of thousand's of years of technology distilled into a single device nearly perfected for academic dishonesty.

I'm not sure that's^ entirely true anymore. There are still young people with enthusiasm, but by and large the 15-25 group today is full of technoiliterates, just like the older generations. It's astounding to me how they can grow up with this stuff and not have any idea how to apply it.

Personally, I think the Watch is classy.
  • Reply 52 of 284
    hans01hans01 Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhonethere4Iam View Post

Gene Munster did a survey... enough said. Apple Watch is going to appeal to Baby Boomers and X Gen, who actually have worn watches and are comfortable with them. Oh, yes, it will do just fine. Don't worry.

I don't know about that. I'm a boomer, I own a Shuffle, iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone and iMac. I don't see that the Watch has anything to offer me. Unfortunately I think sales will be disappointing.

• Reply 53 of 284

Who cares about 'teens?' They don't vote. They don't vote deep into their twenties.

They don't have cash. Forget teens.

• Reply 54 of 284
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    sflocal wrote: »
    Of course teens are tepid... one has to have money to buy the watch.  Why is this even being discussed?

Plus they should be seen and not heard. Oh wait that's what I was told when I was one ...
  • Reply 55 of 284
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    applezilla wrote: »

Who cares about 'teens?' They don't vote. They don't vote deep into their twenties.

They don't have cash. Forget teens.

One of the weird things about the USA is you say that about 18 and 19 year olds, heck poor sods can't even drink (not even at feeakin'' 20) , yet you are happy to send them out on the front line .. what gives with that?
  • Reply 56 of 284
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    While the teen market is certainly an important market for many apple products such as computers, phones and music players. I don't foresee the apple watch in this current iteration being a device that is aimed at teens, not in software, not in design and certainly not in price. It seems irrational to even measure this metric, might as well have asked elementary schoolers.

Speaking of school, that's where teens spend the majority of their time. They shouldn't be distracted by notifications on their wrist. Nor do they need to be reminded to stand every hour, or have schedules and mapping directions at wrist proximity. The apple watch is a companion piece for people who want to optimise their day, not a plaything for people bored during their lunch break. I can easily see a homemaker or business person using the apple watch frequently while they juggle their priorities, school kids: not at all.

I'm sure I'll see some teens with deep pockets wearing it, but I find it pretty unlikely that teens will be a major segment for this product out of the gate.
  • Reply 57 of 284
    "Teens say they have no plans to buy new product that is not yet available."

Dude, those teens! So practical!!
  • Reply 58 of 284

Teens don't care about fashion. Have you seen the way they dress?

And burying their face in a phone screen is their way of saying "go away don't talk to me"

And trying saying "horology" to a teen and see what reaction you get.

Caution: these people are the future.

• Reply 59 of 284

Wait ... so 16 percent of U.S. teens say they would buy a $350 watch that hasn't been marketed, worn by their friends and had apps built for it yet ... and this is bad news? Our expectations our way out of whack. 16 percent would be millions of Apple Watch sales - just to one, relatively small demographic - a demographic that we all know has never even worn any kind of watch. Again, and this is with only one keynote as the marketing for it. Do you think Samsung would be happy with 16 percent of teens saying they want to buy their smartwatch? How about Moto?

• Reply 60 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I was among the first to buy the first iPhone. I held it up before the community college class I was teaching and asked how many of them planned to get one. One hand in a class of thirty-two went up. Within two years most students in my classes had them.

+5: Insightful.

Surely you've read Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point?

http://gladwell.com/the-tipping-point/