Teens 'tepid' on Apple Watch as iPhone and iPad steal Android marketshare

Comments

• Reply 61 of 284
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    hans01 wrote: »

I don't know about that. I'm a boomer, I own a Shuffle, iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone and iMac. I don't see that the Watch has anything to offer me. Unfortunately I think sales will be disappointing.

We better get back to Gene Munster and let him know that based on your in depth analysis baby boomers won't be buying the AppleWatch either. /s
  • Reply 62 of 284
    Really, I want to see what John C. Dvorak has to say about it. Because if he says it'll bomb, we know it'll be a huge success.
  • Reply 63 of 284
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    The more I think about not buying an Apple Watch the more I consider buying another Cartier.
  • Reply 64 of 284
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Teens have no interest of watching their health which is a major sale point of the product.
  • Reply 65 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Teens have no interest of watching their health which is a major sale point of the product.

I've seen this a few times now in this thread. Do you know that for a fact? Research actually shows that teens are very focused on health and fitness. (just one source). They are more likely to be participating in sports (which requires training) and more likely to be conscious about their looks. If the health stuff catches on, it will catch on with this demographic, too.

• Reply 66 of 284
    swiftswift Posts: 436member

This is exactly why Jobs was right not to order up a big bunch of market tests and so on. People can't ask for something in the future for something they don't know exists yet. 

• Reply 67 of 284
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    slurpy wrote: »
    DOOMED!

I'm pretty sure I read the same reports about "tepid" demand for the 1st iPad, right before it went on sale. 

And what was the interest on the iphone few months before it went on sale ?
    Once they see what it does they will be lining up for it..
    For me the the haptic comunication ( taptic engine) is a game changer !....
    Cant wait for it.
    And i have a very strong feel apple watch will be a lot more than what was shown when it actually is ready for sale !
  • Reply 68 of 284
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

The thing is, all you doubters and naysayers who just KNOW that this going to "end up in landfills" don't have the cajones, character, or integrity to came back and acknowledge that you were wrong when you're proven to be so. There's no accountability on the internet, so all of you can be as smug as you fucking want about how this product is doomed- because when it isn't, you'll just shrug, move on, and won't bother to call yourselves out on your inane, short-sighted, moronic predictions.

When I make a prediction that turns out to be wrong, I always make it a point to go back and quote myself, and make it clear how wrong I was. Thankfully, I'm also careful with what I say, so the chances that I'll make a complete ass of myself (like many of you) is fairly slim. 

• Reply 69 of 284
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    slurpy wrote: »
    The thing is, all you doubters and naysayers who just KNOW that this going to "end up in landfills" don't have the cajones, character, or integrity to came back and acknowledge that you were wrong when you're proven to be so. There's no accountability on the internet, so all of you can be as smug as you fucking want about how this product is doomed- because when it isn't, you'll just shrug, move on, and won't bother to call yourselves out on your inane, short-sighted predictions. 

There is posting history. When did [@]pazuzu[/@] sign up with his current ID?
  • Reply 70 of 284
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thetorrey View Post

With the emphasis on fashion and fitness, I'm not surprised teens aren't interested.  Plus its large and bulky looking.  Am I the only one who was hoping Apple would have unveiled something similar to the "band" style watch like the mockups that were posted all over the web?

No, you're not the only one. But those among us that actually sat down, and spent a few seconds thinking through that design, are not part of your group, because we realize that what may work in people's imagination and fantasy may not be feasible for the real world and today's market. That mockup "looked cool". Thats literally all it had going for it.

It also looked insanely unuseable, technically and physically unfeasible,  very uncomfortable, not to mention un customizable, which is critically important when people are going to wear something. Just setting down and considering how it would make sense for a global population would bring up so many issues. But hey, none of that stopped you and others from "hoping" that it would suddenly materialize, and being "disappointed" when it didnt. Reminds me of all the horse-shit hologram and laser keyboard concepts for future iPhones, which inevitably led people to be "disappointed" when they turned out to be horse-shit. 

• Reply 71 of 284
    I'm buying one. I think anyone into fitness is going to take a hard look at the device, especially anyone with a Nike Fuelband, albeit it didn't do that well commercially.

Teens are fickle, what's hot yesterday won't be hot tomorrow. I don't know why anyone would write about this.
  • Reply 72 of 284
    You people are probably right, $350 is way too much for teens to spend on a new piece of personal technology. And I doubt that affluent parents would be willing to fork over that amount of cash. Say, anyone remember how much those original iPods sold for? Too bad they didn't catch on.
  • Reply 73 of 284
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

I know it won't be a hit. It won't be "the next thing." It will end up in a landfill along with Lisa's, Pippens, and eMates. 

Except for the gold ones. They will be melted down and turned into something useful.

• Reply 74 of 284

I wonder if all the marketers have misjudged this future product.

I am not talking about the Apple Watch, but all smart Watches.  Who is using a watch these days?  I do for work, but I only care about the most basic of attributes.  But now, everyone has a device that tells perfect time in their pockets...and pulling it out does not really create a dilemma for most.  

For this reason I see the smart watch as a very niche market.  A market that will be even smaller if it costs too much.  Because really, I can pull my phone out at any time and read texts, send E-mails, basically everything I might want to do with an Apple watch easier and potentially quicker with my phone.

This is why teenagers are not interested in the Apple Watch...a Watch is their father's device.  

• Reply 75 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

You people are probably right, $350 is way too much for teens to spend on a new piece of personal technology. And I doubt that affluent parents would be willing to fork over that amount of cash. Say, anyone remember how much those original iPods sold for? Too bad they didn't catch on.

You missed the point.  It isn't just the price.  It is the function.

The original ipod spoke to the current generation.  Teens were listening to music digitally.  They had begun to move away from CDs for convenience.  Apple saw the emerging market and entered it with a product that made it easy to listen to digital music...which at first appeared daunting.  

What emerging market are any smart watches servicing?  Wearable technology?  I dunno, that sounds more like a fad.  Teens understand function sometimes better than marketers...and if something doesn't provide a truly compelling new function that is actually useful, then it will be ignored.

• Reply 76 of 284
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Useless survey. why can't we just wait until ?Watch is released?

Those saying it isn't marketed towards teens, don't kid yourself. Apple products are for everyone, not just fat old rich white guys who "know" a lot about fashion.

I think ?Watch has tons of problems that need to be addressed but most people are impressed so I'm sure it will do fine.
  • Reply 77 of 284
    steven new wrote: »
    You missed the point.  It isn't just the price.  It is the function.

The original ipod spoke to the current generation.  Teens were listening to music digitally.  They had begun to move away from CDs for convenience.  Apple saw the emerging market and entered it with a product that made it easy to listen to digital music...which at first appeared daunting.  

What emerging market are any smart watches servicing?  Wearable technology?  I dunno, that sounds more like a fad.  Teens understand function sometimes better than marketers...and if something doesn't provide a truly compelling new function that is actually useful, then it will be ignored.
    Perhaps I haven't missed the point. I was only speaking to the concern that the watch was too expensive. Many people were arguing the Watch is just too expensive to attract the attention of teenagers.

Your analysis of the iPod is easy given the luxury of hindsight, however how do you claim to speak for the future? Perhaps your same analysis of the iPod could be applied to the Watch, time will tell. I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying that you don't know yet. In other words, "Yeah, well that's just like your opinion man!"
  • Reply 78 of 284
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm seeing estimates for the SS version as anywhere between $600-$1,000.

For the gold models, between $1,200-$5,000.

There are two sizes, so the prices could be different, particularly for the gold model.

But watch cases can be thick or thin, heavy or light. How thick and heavy is the gold edition?

One of my watches is a small, square, fairly thin Baum Mercier, with a gold case, face and hands. It was $1,650 new, when I bought it 25 years ago.

Yeah, I'm afraid the gold models could hit $5K with a fancy band.

And at that price, it would be great if Apple offered some kind of trade-in deal for biennial "upgrades."

Not that I'm in the market for any of the Edition models.

I have two very fancy Swiss watches (brand "R"), one gold/stainless and another stainless.

But hey, the Apple Watch will be tax deductible.

• Reply 79 of 284

That is fair, that I can't see the future.  And perhaps something will happen with wearables that prove they are necessary.  But, I do not see the emerging market yet.  When the ipods were released they were not the first portable MP3 players.  They market was forming.  Just Apple, made it easy and engaged the industry to make it easier to buy music as MP3s.  Apple saw the future with the emerging market and struck lightning.  

This could happen again, and I hope it does.  But right now wearables are not proving to be anything but a niche status symbol...and sometimes that is all that needs to happen for teens to grab it.  But I wonder...I truly believe this is going to not work out.

• Reply 80 of 284
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    And at that price, it would be great if Apple offered some kind of trade-in deal for biennial "upgrades."

I'm still hoping this fully enclosed S-series chip will have Apple-standardized interconnects so that you can update some the internals for many years to come. I think this would be better suited for a jewelry-like accessory that could also increase sales of ?Watches as collectors items if buyers know that a watch they buy in 2015 will still have modern performance 2019.