After incorrect report on Apple's use of sapphire on iPhone 6, WSJ claims Apple changed plans last m

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59

as a retired jeweler  i can say that sapphire is resistant to cracking  but the converse side of hardness is brittle . all solids and liquids are incompressible  that is why your hydraulic brakes work in your car and steering the liquid pressed on one end transfers the force to the other end of a tube . glass (technically a viscous liquid) and crystals even as hard as diamond will cleave under pressure . a perfect crystal can take quite a pounding from the top but pressure on the other side causes a cleave of the crystal lattice . example  a stone hits your windshield  there is a small mark on the outside and a huge flake off the inside . your glass top table has an ash tray dropped on it and the huge flake of glass falls off the bottom of the table not the point of impact . your indian flint arrowhead was formed from flakes popping off the opposite side of the flint when pressure is applied to the shard . diamonds are cleaved with a chisel placed in a cut groove parallel to the crystal plane thus cleaving the crystal not cutting it (remember the commercial in the car with the nervous guy and the hammer)   most catastrophic screen failures like the one above happen when the phone contacts the edge behind the crystal if apple wants to stop the shatter hide the edges of the crystalline material under the bezel not slightly over it  dropping the phone on a corner bends the bezel and the pressure from the lump  BEHIND the glass forms the crack not the force to the glass from the front . an example would be the diamonds used to cut the edge of the bezel on the phones high speed and rigid chucks make  sure the leading edge hits the surface in a forward direction not down on the back of the edge of the cutter.  another example of this principle is glass cutting  first a scratch is made on the glass to provide a break in the structure  then an object (the ball on the cutter ) is placed under the glass and pressure on the edges cleave the glass along the scratch (the weakest point by a slight amount) 

in fact the toughest mineral is jade  (jadeite not nephrite)  because its structure is amorphous (small particles evenly distributed ) hardness is scratch resistance and toughness is a measure of resistance to sloughing  or wearing away of the material like the foot wear on a marble staircase a jade staircase would last a thousand years of heavy  traffic  where marble may only stay level for 30 years or so.  If apple wants a shatter resistant screen it needs to focus on the support and edge protection  not the material  (ask yourself how your wife chipped her engagement diamond and then look to sase whether the chip is on the bottom (below the prongs ) or top ( above the prongs )  if on the top the jeweler left a burr under the edge under a prong  if on the bottom there was pressure on the very edge from the too 

• Reply 22 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Can the media be sued for lying?

Not by companies, by us: the people media-ing them. Can the collective just up and sue ‘em for doing the opposite of their job? To whom is the media held accountable?

• Reply 23 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    mrmaccat wrote: »
    as a retired jeweler  i can say that sapphire is resistant to cracking  but the converse side of hardness is brittle . all solids and liquids are incompressible  that is why your hydraulic brakes work in your car and steering the liquid pressed on one end transfers the force to the other end of a tube . glass (technically a viscous liquid) and crystals even as hard as diamond will cleave under pressure . a perfect crystal can take quite a pounding from the top but pressure on the other side causes a cleave of the crystal lattice . example  a stone hits your windshield  there is a small mark on the outside and a huge flake off the inside . your glass top table has an ash tray dropped on it and the huge flake of glass falls off the bottom of the table not the point of impact . your indian flint arrowhead was formed from flakes popping off the opposite side of the flint when pressure is applied to the shard . diamonds are cleaved with a chisel placed in a cut groove parallel to the crystal plane thus cleaving the crystal not cutting it (remember the commercial in the car with the nervous guy and the hammer)   most catastrophic screen failures like the one above happen when the phone contacts the edge behind the crystal if apple wants to stop the shatter hide the edges of the crystalline material under the bezel not slightly over it  dropping the phone on a corner bends the bezel and the pressure from the lump  BEHIND the glass forms the crack not the force to the glass from the front . an example would be the diamonds used to cut the edge of the bezel on the phones high speed and rigid chucks make  sure the leading edge hits the surface in a forward direction not down on the back of the edge of the cutter.  another example of this principle is glass cutting  first a scratch is made on the glass to provide a break in the structure  then an object (the ball on the cutter ) is placed under the glass and pressure on the edges cleave the glass along the scratch (the weakest point by a slight amount) 

in fact the toughest mineral is jade  (jadeite not nephrite)  because its structure is amorphous (small particles evenly distributed ) hardness is scratch resistance and toughness is a measure of resistance to sloughing  or wearing away of the material like the foot wear on a marble staircase a jade staircase would last a thousand years of heavy  traffic  where marble may only stay level for 30 years or so.  If apple wants a shatter resistant screen it needs to focus on the support and edge protection  not the material  (ask yourself how your wife chipped her engagement diamond and then look to sase whether the chip is on the bottom (below the prongs ) or top ( above the prongs )  if on the top the jeweler left a burr under the edge under a prong  if on the bottom there was pressure on the very edge from the too 

I'm sure Tim will be relieved to hear there is an expert out there he can turn to and I have no doubt he will seek your advice in the months to come.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member

Not by companies, by us: the people media-ing them. Can the collective just up and sue ‘em for doing the opposite of their job? To whom is the media held accountable?

That pesky Free Speech thingy ...
  • Reply 25 of 59
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Judging by eBay, water is a much more serious threat to iPhones than cracked screens. It is easy to get a cracked screen replaced but once an iPhone gets wet, it is dead for good in most cases. I have my fingers crossed that the Apple Watch shows the future of Apple's mobile products: Completely sealed and water resistant.

I have an iPhone 3 that went in the washer for a several minutes - soap and all.  The screen has some weird clouding, but the phone works.  I still use it as an alarm clock/music player/remote control.

• Reply 26 of 59
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by truthmatters View Post

I know, right?  Since apple copied so many elements of android in both iOS 7 and iOS 8, and since apple is following Samsung's leadership with respect to screen size, I was really hoping that apple would take a few more cues from the competition, including waterproof phones like those from Samsung, Kyocera, or Sony. The latest iphones aren't even ipx 3 like HTC.

Its too bad they control the OS.  We are fully dependant on them to bring a waterproof phone to market.  Its not like Sony can make us a waterproof iOS phone.

You can always tell the full-of-shit trolls, they tend to have "truth", "wakeup", and other such sanctimious trash in their usernames. It's telling that Apple-bashers are quickly running out of things to bash the iPhone with, which is why "waterproof" is suddenly so critical, when I've never heard such a complaint before. Not once in my life had I wished my phone was waterproof, but hey. I did drop my iPhone 4 in a lake years ago, while it was on, and it stayed underwater for 30 seconds. Works perfectly to this day. 

Have fun with you Samsung worshipping. From here on out, its downhill all the way. But don't worry, they have "leadership" so everything should be just dandy. I look forward to your posts becoming more insane and hysterical the harder Samsung falls. 

• Reply 27 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Are you one of those "anyone should be able to say anything at anytime, with no consequences" people? This has nothing to do with "free speech". It has to do with an analyst manipulating the market, then lying his ass off. 

• Reply 28 of 59
    Gotta love that bimbo, that has destroyed "many iPhones", and claims that iPhones are not waterproof because Apple would prefer you buy "phone after phone after phone". I guess we've found the secret to Apple's success.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

I'm sure Tim will be relieved to hear there is an expert out there he can turn to and I have no doubt he will seek your advice in the months to come.

I thought mrmaccat's discussion of crystalline behavior from a jeweler's perspective was interesting. Just what did he say that deserved the snarky response?

• Reply 30 of 59
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Its Fox News Lite. What did you expect?
  • Reply 31 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by truthmatters View Post

I know, right?  Since apple copied so many elements of android in both iOS 7 and iOS 8, and since apple is following Samsung's leadership with respect to screen size, I was really hoping that apple would take a few more cues from the competition, including waterproof phones like those from Samsung, Kyocera, or Sony. The latest iphones aren't even ipx 3 like HTC.

Its too bad they control the OS.  We are fully dependant on them to bring a waterproof phone to market.  Its not like Sony can make us a waterproof iOS phone.

Troll level: 2(out of 10)

• Reply 32 of 59
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Right... Free speach as defense for slander, libel and plain old market manipulation... (also called fraud)... Gee when has this been tried before successfully.... Never! 

You're never truly free from the consequences of your words, even when you have the right to say them.

• Reply 33 of 59
    This sounds familiar...

1. Posting rumors and speculation for profit

2. Use passive voice like "Apple is expected to…"

3. No fact checking or verification with Apple

4. Using the word "report" to describe analysts' speculation in order to cite the same as proof

5. Not admitting when previously published rumors were wrong.

Oh, you were talking about WSJ?
  • Reply 34 of 59
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,519member
    Interesting that "when reality disagrees, change the facts" is also the mantra of Faux Noise, owned by the same guy who now owns the once-proud WSJ.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I know that it's likely to be a small sample size but do Vertu's sapphire screens suffer from being too brittle?

• Reply 36 of 59

Well as we know from all the reports of WMD in Iraq and much, much, much more over the years ... The media really aren't accounable to anyone. Welcome to the "free press".
  • Reply 37 of 59
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    richl wrote: »
    I know that it's likely to be a small sample size but do Vertu's sapphire screens suffer from being too brittle?

I believe they start at around $5000.- and have a rather small following, so I'm not sure the YouTube crowd is going to get in on proving anything, any time soon.

Also... would it matter?
  • Reply 38 of 59
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 706member

Not in the amount of time this guy claims.  

• Reply 39 of 59
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I am so tire of these armchair engineers, they are worse than the armchair quarterbacks. None of these analysis or journalist have any clue what they are taking about. I been in the product development for 25 yrs and I can tell you that no company tries to rush any product to market and pulling a feature like Sapphire display out the last minute did not happen. It was never part of the plan, the plan was always the watch, and it make more sense than anything else. The only questions what happen to cause this issue. Was the watch suppose to launch now verse 2015, was all the watch suppose to have sapphire not just the high end one and these advents is what cause apple to take the actions they did.

• Reply 40 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ash471 wrote: »
    DED, I enjoy your columns, but I think you got it totally wrong on this one. If Apple wasn't planning on using sapphire for the iPhone 6, why is GT filing bankruptcy? Seems pretty obvious what happened.  Apple experimented with sapphire and shifted the manufacturing risks to its contract manufacturer.  Unfortunately for GT, it didn't work out. 

All speculation, of course, but this is an excellent theory.