Dummy unit shows expected 'iPad Air 2' design ahead of Apple's rumored Oct. 16 event

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2014
An apparent mockup of a slightly redesigned, next-generation iPad Air has surfaced from Vietnam showing a more trim profile, recessed volume buttons, and the addition of a Touch ID sensor to the home button.

The supposed dummy unit?matches up nearly identically with previous "leaks." Vietnamese blog Tinhte.vn says that the device comes in at just 7 millimeters thick, the same thickness as the iPhone 6.

In addition to a redesigned speaker grille, the unit also sports a small hole where the mute/orientation lock switch appears on existing iPad units.

Previous speculation has suggested that Apple may be considering relocating the microphone, as the dummy does not sport a microphone opening on top. It could also simply be based on an unfinished model, with the side hold acting as a pilot for machining a larger opening.

The dummy also matches the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus's recessed volume adjustment buttons, but does not carry over their protruding camera lens.

Little is known about the second-generation iPad Air, though it is almost certain to come with Touch ID and Apple's latest A8 chip. Less certain is the inclusion of NFC for Apple Pay compatibility, but those questions should be answered next week during Apple's rumored Oct. 16 event in Cupertino.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Meh. The iPad Air S. At least I can keep my iPad Air on the stable iOS 7.1.2.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    And on that same site:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/50323/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Oh, and a nice avatar on that site
  • Reply 3 of 56
    Is it just me, or has the iPhone 6 design made the chamfered edges on iDevices look old now?

There's definitely some fit and finish issues on that model, have to wait and see the final one. Not sure it really needed to be thinner though...unless it's because they've laminated the cover to the display.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
  • Reply 5 of 56
    croccroc Posts: 7member

Nice nice!! :)

• Reply 6 of 56
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    While I don't care about the thickness, though Benj will say that it's way too thick, I do care about the weight. Thinner should mean lighter. Even my Air weighs too much when I'm reading in bed. If I get the 6+, I may use that in bed instead.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member

There is such a thing as "too thin" and I think the iPhone 6 is anorexic. 

I would have preferred a flat back, i.e. same thickness as the camera lens is now, and use the extra space for a slightly bigger battery. Oh - and roughen the sides just slightly - for improved grip. It's just a bit too slick now.

We'll have to see about iPad. This would be very thin for a device that size. And I'm not sure that continued pursuit of "thin" is worth it when nearly everyone uses a cover of some sort (not everyone uses a case on iPhone though). But I do understand melgross' point about weight. OTOH, iPad Air was such an improvement over iPad 3 that I hardly notice :)

• Reply 8 of 56
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I am more interested in the internals, like 2g+ of ram and an A8X for example.  Touch ID is nice.

also, weight is more important than thickness.

• Reply 9 of 56
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

How long before some idiot tries to bend it?

Apparently not as quickly as some **** decides they need to keep asking the same question...

• Reply 10 of 56
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    The iPads should include nfc so they can be used as Point of Sale terminals in stores. A simple communication from iPhone/Apple watch to an iPad and the transaction is complete without a bunch of separate parts
  • Reply 11 of 56
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I would expect no less than the 6 Plus camera technology, and isn't it about time to add a flash, considering how many customers use the iPad?
  • Reply 12 of 56
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    plovell wrote: »
    There is such a thing as "too thin" and I think the iPhone 6 is anorexic. 

I would have preferred a flat back, i.e. same thickness as the camera lens is now, and use the extra space for a slightly bigger battery. Oh - and roughen the sides just slightly - for improved grip. It's just a bit too slick now.

We'll have to see about iPad. This would be very thin for a device that size. And I'm not sure that continued pursuit of "thin" is worth it when nearly everyone uses a cover of some sort (not everyone uses a case on iPhone though). But I do understand melgross' point about weight. OTOH, iPad Air was such an improvement over iPad 3 that I hardly notice :)

Gionee Elife S5.1 is a 4.8" smartphone that's 5.1mm thick but has a 2,100 mAh battery. If they can put that battery in a thinner chassis what's stopping Apple from doing it?

Regarding the camera not being flush, it's not flush on the Sony Xperia Z3 either but no one seems to be complaining about it.

sony-xperia-z3-347_verge_super_wide.jpg
  • Reply 13 of 56
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Regarding the camera not being flush, it's not flush on the Sony Xperia Z3 either but no one seems to be complaining about it.

and the thing is, the flushness of the camera is a complete non-issue. while i never operate my phone with it laying flat on a table, i did for a test -- and it barely moves. only if tapping the top-left corner, which i rarely need to do now that the Back function is a swipe from the entire left edge.

further, like most people i put a case on mine and its now double-moot. i prefer the thin body because i try to use a thin case, resulting in as-thin-as-possible in my pocket.

• Reply 14 of 56
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I'm glad I took a year off in buying these cause this one looks much better than last year's.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

and the thing is, the flushness of the camera is a complete non-issue. ...

further, like most people i put a case on mine ...

The non-flatness isn't an operation issue (I don't use mine flat on a table) but it just doesn't feel right.

I'll probably get a case. And part of the reason for that is that the sides are very slick. A little more texture there would be good. But that's just my preference.

• Reply 16 of 56
    And of course the imbeciles will come out of the woodwork and try to bend and break the new iPad for their 15 minutes of fame on YouTube.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

and the thing is, the flushness of the camera is a complete non-issue. while i never operate my phone with it laying flat on a table, i did for a test -- and it barely moves. only if tapping the top-left corner, which i rarely need to do now that the Back function is a swipe from the entire left edge.

^

• Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

.... but it just doesn't feel right.

:rolleyes:

• Reply 19 of 56
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

You big Dummy! ~ Fred Sanford

• Reply 20 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

The iPads should include nfc so they can be used as Point of Sale terminals in stores. A simple communication from iPhone/Apple watch to an iPad and the transaction is complete without a bunch of separate parts

err.  if your iPhone and watch can do NFC, why does your iPad need to do NFC?  and aren't the  parts of a phone and a watch 'separate'?

The magic of Apple Pay and POS interaction is 'signing it' with a biometric.   your phone is in your pocket, your iPad is in your bag.  your watch is on your arm and monitoring your HR (another biometric).  The goal is NOT to pull something out of your bag to pay for something (from the end user perspective.  just wave your phone and touch your screen, or extend your watch arm to the PoS device.