Teens 'tepid' on Apple Watch as iPhone and iPad steal Android marketshare

13468915

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 284
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,709member
    steven new wrote: »
    I...and pulling it out does not really create a dilemma for most.  

    That's what she said. Sorry, too easy.

    I don't know if the Apple watch will be a success but to predict it will be a failure is foolish. We barely know anything about it.
  • Reply 102 of 284
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,709member
    More bad news for Apple: 1000 infants were surveyed and none of them knew what an Apple watch was.
  • Reply 103 of 284
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,113member
    In the early months and in most places, an Apple watch on a teenager's wrist might lead to one of two conclusions; it was stolen or is about to be. There are always exceptions. I happen to live in a district where the students drive late-model Beemers and Audis to school.
  • Reply 104 of 284
    You mean teens' *parents*.
  • Reply 105 of 284
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,510member
    16% of tens, which are clearly not the target consumers, seems a lot to me.
  • Reply 106 of 284
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Not so.

    I didn't care for the iPhone when it came out, but I knew the iPad would be huge.

    So my track record is 50% on those two categories.

    You have a tendency to think the worst of those who you disagree with. That's a shame, because it's unbecoming.

    I was gung ho for the iPod and actually predicted the name iPad. Was not to keen on the iPhone though. So my score is 66.67% in favor of.
    An anger management course is needed for that one. Just because we don't care for this Apple watch is no reason to attack us- we are adults here.
  • Reply 107 of 284
    roakeroake Posts: 652member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    roake wrote: »
     

    Well, I could probably produce a survey that says the exact opposite. Posting links that support one’s opinion is about as easy as it gets on the Internet. So what’s your point? 

    I posted no links and did not talk about surveys. Perhaps you responded to the wrong post? My point was as I stated in my post.
  • Reply 108 of 284
    jungmark wrote: »
    More bad news for Apple: 1000 infants were surveyed and none of them knew what an Apple watch was.

    1000 dogs were surveyed and 20% wagged their tail anticipating a treat, 45% laid down and took a nap, 35% wandered off, 0% indicated interesting in buying the Apple Watch.
  • Reply 109 of 284



    How cool was those concept versions!  If Apple came up with something like that in the future I can it selling.

  • Reply 110 of 284
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 4,643member

    Remember what Steve said, never ask the consumer what they want since they have not idea what they want until you give it to them. Survey are worthless.

     

    Teen are not the target mark, Apple is going after people with disposable incoming and are into watches as fashion statement, as well as the group of people who are interested in monitoring the health performance, and last but not least the naked wrist crowd of 18 to 34 yr old which cross the two other category of people. The Watch is not a much have gadget, it not like a music player or cell phone. 

  • Reply 111 of 284
    plovellplovell Posts: 801member

    This might be worrisome if teens were the target demographic.

     

    But they're not. 

  • Reply 112 of 284
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

     

    One thing is for sure, I would never underestimate Apple's ability to move their products regardless of what it is. Personally, I think it's tacky, everything about the current crop of smartwatches, just screams first iteration... [ a bunch of stuff snipped] ... Other then the younger generation, the under 25 crowd, I just couldn't imagine people wearing these things without the fear of looking and feeling like a complete tool.


     

    The one thing that really bothers me that doesn't bother me about my other gadgets is longevity. I expect to replace my phone and tablet. A watch... I just can't see it.

     

    ... but maybe Apple can convince people that they have to replace their watch every 2-3 years.

  • Reply 113 of 284
    Because it does not belong to to today's youth. It belongs to to tommorow's. There's a whole new generation out there. In fact just recently LeapFrog introduced a sort of 'smart' watch for young kids. The teens that love the iPad and the iPhone, just ten years ago who were the iPod teens. And for $400 dollars for music was thought to be expensive.
  • Reply 114 of 284
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Do people still say "rad"? I thought it was a word from the 80's :D

    Yeah... thanks for letting me know that I'm an old goat... :rolleyes:

    Although there's a plug-in for Photoshop that seems to be liked by the younger crowd called Totally Rad... so, tell me again what I don't know, especially when it comes to Valley Girls* and slang.

    * there's a hint there if anyone cared enough to ever find out :)
  • Reply 115 of 284
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post



    Because it does not belong to to today's youth. It belongs to to tommorow's. There's a whole new generation out there. In fact just recently LeapFrog introduced a sort of 'smart' watch for young kids. The teens that love the iPad and the iPhone, just ten years ago who were the iPod teens. And for $400 dollars for music was thought to be expensive.

     

    Who would have ever thought that teens and music would mix.

  • Reply 116 of 284
    lmaclmac Posts: 195member

    The iWatch is, at present, an expensive iPhone accessory, not a standalone device. Priced at $350 and up, it's not really targeted at teens who need a phone first. That said, if the device is played up as youthful by the fitness focus, it could appeal. Teens today have all kinds of money for frivolous things like high end sneakers, designer headphones, etc. What would make it appeal more to teens is ruggedness (is it waterproof?) and the ability to function instead of rather than in addition to a phone. That, or if it catches on with the popular kids. If it is worn by their idols (professional athletes, rappers, pop stars) it will take off with teens.

  • Reply 117 of 284
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post





    Yeah... thanks for letting me know that I'm an old goat... image



    Although there's a plug-in for Photoshop that seems to be liked by the younger crowd called Totally Rad... so, tell me again what I don't know, especially when it comes to Valley Girls* and slang.



    * there's a hint there if anyone cared enough to ever find out image

     

    That was a honest question, actually. Don't assume people are native speakers, because some are not ^^

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Girls gives me "references to 80's pop culture", was that your point?

  • Reply 118 of 284
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

     

    I certainly don't understand it. It looks just awful in that side view. I don't care if it is made out of gold, silver, stainless steel or diamond encrusted platinum, it is just ugly... but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 


     

    It looks really bulbous in standalone photos, but it looks much thinner/sleeker in photos I've seen where it's actually being worn on the wrist.

  • Reply 119 of 284
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,154member

    I look at the Market for watches in General and it's been a dying market now for many years.   Who stills wear a watch?  Well OLD people do.  But most don't own a Smartphone, just a plain old cell phone.   A smart watch won't do them any good.  my Dad wears a watch at times, and my Grandma wears a watch.  

     

    The other group that wears a watch are those that are always in a suit for work.  Lawyers, Businessmen, etc.  Is that a Market for a Smartwatch, let alone a Apple Watch?  I don't think so. It's more of the Rolex type crowd.  A nice classy watch, not a Smart Watch, which is like the Geek Calculator watch of the past.   That leaves those that dress up for Church, a wedding, a funeral, maybe a Date.    They may throw on a watch, a cheap watch, or a nice watch in the $100 price range that you wear here and there.

     

    I just don't see how Apple expects to sell all these watches.   None released so far have been huge sellers.  Have any of them sold 1 million yet?   I know I can't wear a watch at work as most people here for a number of reasons.  That would leave it for only the times I'm not working.   I don't see why I need to drop $350+ on a watch when I can just grab my iPhone in a couple seconds and spend no extra money.   We just got big screens and now you want to go to a tiny watch screen?  

     

    The Looks of the Apple watch is growing on me somewhat, but it really needs to be half the thickness, but I still wouldn't buy it or any other Smart Watch.  I have a nice fancy classic watch I wear maybe once a year!   It's about a $130 watch I got as a high school Graduation gift YEARS ago!!! 20+ years ago!!!  I've not gotten another watch since that one.  It still works, I've replaced the battery in it.    I just don't see a reason to buy a Apple Watch.  I have my iPhone 6 now.   To go along with my iPad 3.   I have zero reason for needing a Apple Watch.   

  • Reply 120 of 284
    Just wait till Jimmy Iovine gets some famous boy band to wear them. Tepid will turn to HOT!

    EDIT: I now see PixelDoc said the same thing ... sort of ... :D

    All it takes is to make one appearance on a trendy teen girl show, like Project Runway or Michelle Phan (YT see her tech favs)... and boom!

    A really quick Scroogle search turned up this:

    Here's Where Teens Spend All Their Money (April 2013)

    From 2 click-thru links on InStyle"

    "Smokey Eyes Like Olivia Wilde" - make-up from Revlon - $25.-
    +
    "Lips like Selena Gomez" - lipstick by D&G, purchased at Nieman Marcus - $48.-

    = $73.- before they even do their hair or put on clothes, shoes, and accessorize.

    I'm only guessing here, but a girl between the age of 16 - 24 is probably walking out of the house with close to $350.- worth of merchandise and beauty products... before you even add an iPhone and a 1/30 cost of a cell contract or any other gadgets That's EVERY day! That "guesstimate" hits a grand easily in affluent neighborhoods and schools.

    Besides... none of us have any idea what the final ?Watch is going to be priced at, what apps are going to be ready, nor what other name brand fashion houses have created to be available at launch to create the 'media buzz" beyond just the techie sites (which will invariably rip it to shreds!).

    See the link above at BusinessWeek: if Coach (girls) or Nike (guys) decides to make some cool wrist bands for the ?Watch... again... boom!... the kids with disposable income will be there to buy it all up.

    Note: amazing but true, some of you in the US need to just drive by a High School in or around a wealthy or even middle class neighborhood and check out the parking lot. The expensive cars belong to the students or their families, not the teachers. They very well might have a high price total than a mid-size business' parking lot of the same size. Tip o' the hat to @Kibitzer

    How many of you fellow geezers really remember what it was like to be in HS and the need to belong to a clique. Even if you didn't call it that, you were in one. Remember the pressure every once in awhile, or the little jibes if your hair wasn't the right way, your shoes were the wrong brand, or your shirt was the wrong pattern or color. No matter how much you really wanted to like and have your own style, you were subtly coerced to "conform".

    This has been going on for decades if not 100's of years within that age group and across cultures. I don't ever expect it to change, and that's why in advertising and marketing, the teen demographic is so very important to study, understand, and push to to get your products at least noticed, if not sold to.

    Nike didn't become the sports shoe leader overnight by making great shows or beating Converse or Keds on the courts when they came out. They nailed it though marketing to the "cool" kids as a new fashion statement. Actual playing and quality cred came later.

    I'm not saying that Apple is throwing all of their efforts at teens... but they will not be forgotten when it comes to the marketing, that's guaranteed.

    Last thought: no Apple product is without it's controversy, especially when it comes to kids and how they use and/or abuse their Apple stuff and tick off parents and teachers. *IF* teens pick up on the ?Watch and at first only use it to send little "love notes" and "heartbeats"... not far behind will be the call for regulations after scandals regarding cheating on tests and in class digital mobbing. Many schools will try.. and probably succeed in forcing students to take of their watches in class.
Sign In or Register to comment.