The Next Machines.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Tell me (since I am a yougin) about the Next machines quality and ultimate purpose. What was Steve going for?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    how about doing a search on the internet. there are dozens of sites that will tell you what you want.

or how about going to the library, getting "The NeXT Big Thing" and reading it. good book.

Jobs wanted the NeXT to be THE machine of higher ed. but it was overpriced (who would have thought ). and had other strategic problems.

Still many universities bought some for their science departments. The first WWW page was hosted with a NeXT machine. They still run great. were greatly designed computers. Ran NeXTStep fast unlike some other machines I know that run an updated version

My goal is to get a NeXTCube Turbo Color. It's been difficult finding one. I'll likely have a cube by the summer though.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    The one thing I love about NeXT machines is the industrial design.

Best I've ever seen for a computer ever, I think. They're beautiful.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    If nExt would have released NextStep to the Intel platform, M$ may have just been a footnote in computing history. At the time NextStep had a amazing GUI, a UNIX core, and it was absolutly fantastic. But Next waited too long.