Teens 'tepid' on Apple Watch as iPhone and iPad steal Android marketshare

Comments

• Reply 121 of 284
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post

Wait ... so 16 percent of U.S. teens say they would buy a $350 watch that hasn't been marketed, worn by their friends and had apps built for it yet ... and this is bad news? Our expectations our way out of whack. 16 percent would be millions of Apple Watch sales - just to one, relatively small demographic - a demographic that we all know has never even worn any kind of watch. Again, and this is with only one keynote as the marketing for it. Do you think Samsung would be happy with 16 percent of teens saying they want to buy their smartwatch? How about Moto?

Agreed, but with one modification:  these Munster surveys were taken BEFORE the keynote, so the watch was still sight-unseen.  Or did I misread that?

Regardless, these are pretty good numbers, if you ask me.  I wonder what percentage of teens would respond that they will be buying the next iPad?  Whenever we hear a percentage on this from Munster, it is presented as "60% of teens that plan to purchase a tablet, plan to get an iPad."  See that qualifier?  If only 25% of teens plan to get a tablet, then the overall percentage of teens planning to get an iPad is down in the same neck-of-the-woods as the iWatch according to this survey.

Any way you cut it, seeing numbers such as 16% at the time of the survey is actually impressively large.  Anyone want to multiply 16% by the total number of teens?  And even accounting for the fact that a teen might plan something but not actually be able to carry through, it's still going to be a decent number of teens to add into the adults that will be purchasing.  Then techno-envy will set in, and we know teens suffer from that.

Thompson

• Reply 122 of 284
    I just have to do this:

Within that link above...is this tasty morsel:

[B]"Twice as many teens said they'd rather tune out class with Beats headphones by Dr. Dre over Apple's ear buds."[/B]

If I'm not mistaken, weren't those the $1.2 billion worthless "trash can" headphones that couldn't stand up to quality sound from __________, that people were dissing here a while back?

So that's that. You can all take out your [I]angst[/I] and [I]vitriol[/I] out on the teens... who probably don't have the slightest idea what those words mean or where they came from... but they do know trends and fashion.... and somehow find the money to make marketing to them worthwhile.
  • Reply 123 of 284
    The one thing that really bothers me that doesn't bother me about my other gadgets is longevity. I expect to replace my phone and tablet. A watch... I just can't see it.

... but maybe Apple can convince people that they have to replace their watch every 2-3 years.

Not the whole watch... just the insides.

What if the next "round" of Apple watches were.... ROUND?

And the square ones become just one more in your "collection" of ?Watches?... to go with your "collection" of Made for ?Watch wrist bands?
  • Reply 124 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Do people still say "rad"? I thought it was a word from the 80's :D

They do. The word has made a major comeback.

• Reply 125 of 284
    lmac wrote: »
    The iWatch is, at present, an expensive iPhone accessory, not a standalone device. Priced at $350 and up, it's not really targeted at teens who need a phone first. That said, if the device is played up as youthful by the fitness focus, it could appeal. Teens today have all kinds of money for frivolous things like high end sneakers, designer headphones, etc. What would make it appeal more to teens is ruggedness (is it waterproof?) and the ability to function instead of rather than in addition to a phone. That, or if it catches on with the popular kids. If it is worn by their idols (professional athletes, rappers, pop stars) it will take off with teens.

I agree with everything you said, except for the lead in sentence: The iWatch is, at present, an expensive iPhone accessory, not a standalone device.

We don't really know "exactly" what it is and what it can do. It's only been "shown" in it's beta form. Everything else is speculation and taken literally from what we have seen, rather than what it will be.... and simply guessing at the rest.

I'm positive it's going to do more and be more than what we have seen thus far.

The only negative is that those little "new" things that will make the ?Watch extremely compelling even for a version 1 device (iPod, iPhone, iPad experience), will be held up by the naysayers of the product today as the reason they couldn't KNOW that it was going to be such a big hit. They'll all claim, "Hey! If we would've known THAT... well it's a no-brainer and I would've ALWAYS been an ?Watch fan from the get-go!".
  • Reply 126 of 284
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    thompr wrote: »
    Agreed, but with one modification:  these Munster surveys were taken BEFORE the keynote, so the watch was still sight-unseen.  Or did I misread that?

Regardless, these are pretty good numbers, if you ask me.  I wonder what percentage of teens would respond that they will be buying the next iPad?  Whenever we hear a percentage on this from Munster, it is presented as "60% of teens that plan to purchase a tablet, plan to get an iPad."  See that qualifier?  If only 25% of teens plan to get a tablet, then the overall percentage of teens planning to get an iPad is down in the same neck-of-the-woods as the iWatch according to this survey.

Any way you cut it, seeing numbers such as 16% at the time of the survey is actually impressively large.  Anyone want to multiply 16% by the total number of teens?  And even accounting for the fact that a teen might plan something but not actually be able to carry through, it's still going to be a decent number of teens to add into the adults that will be purchasing.  Then techno-envy will set in, and we know teens suffer from that.

Thompson

Right you are, and I think those are a few very important points that are being largely overlooked. Bloomberg reported on this today, but neglected to mention the fact that the survey took place before anyone knew what it looked like or what it could do. That's a huge and very irresponsible omission, which I think must have been intentional, since it's not really even news that kids didn't want something that nobody knew anything about. In fact, on the survey they called it the iWatch, because they didn't even know the name.

By the way, I think the number would be about 4.7 million watches, and that's only the US, ages 13-19, of course.
  • Reply 127 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Not the whole watch... just the insides.

What if the next "round" of Apple watches were.... ROUND?

And the square ones become just one more in your "collection" of ?Watches?... to go with your "collection" of Made for ?Watch wrist bands?

Sorry... I should have been more clear. I was talking about software.

• Reply 128 of 284
    Teens are tepid because mommy and daddy are the ones footing the bill, lets be real here. Once they convince mommy and daddy that they deserve it for getting a 3.0 GPA tepid they will no longer be.
  • Reply 129 of 284
    Sorry... I should have been more clear. I was talking about software.

Why wouldn't Apple do updates to the OS? I'm not sure I'm following you, but you stated that you weren't sure about the "longevity" of the watch.

I think that Apple is building en entire market around the ?Watch and other connected wearables. At prices northwards of $5000.- being speculated at... those watches surely wont be thrown to the bottom of a dresser drawer after 1 or 2 years.

I'm expecting software AND hardware upgrades being available.
  • Reply 130 of 284
    Quote:

Why wouldn't Apple do updates to the OS? I'm not sure I'm following you, but you stated that you weren't sure about the "longevity" of the watch.

I think that Apple is building en entire market around the ?Watch and other connected wearables. At prices northwards of $5000.- being speculated at... those watches surely wont be thrown to the bottom of a dresser drawer after 1 or 2 years.

I'm expecting software AND hardware upgrades being available.

How well does iOS 8 work on the 4S... or how about the 4 or the 3GS?

You can't tell me that 4 years down the road there won't be better processors and better storage capacity that can handle a more complex OS and applications.

I understand people being convinced to upgrade laptops, tablets, phones... but watches at $350 to thousands of $$$ a pop. I'm not convinced.

• Reply 131 of 284
    That was a honest question, actually. Don't assume people are native speakers, because some are not ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Girls<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> gives me "references to 80's pop culture", was that your point?</span>

I'm sincerely sorry... I assumed it was only light-hearted joking around... as was my reply in a cheeky and sarcastic tone that many might misunderstand if they haven't seen any of my other posts.

Re: Valley Girls - funny that you checked it out on Wiki and it actually turned out to be a good resource. Even though I mistyped and actually meant the "original" Valley Girl...which I have an inside knowledge of. We'll leave it at that.
  • Reply 132 of 284
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

If you aren't in the market for a Rolex, you're probably not in the market for an Apple Watch.

you seem to be conflating the Watch "Edition" with the lower end "Sport". nobody in their right minds is suggesting the $350 Sport is a viable alternative to a $10,000 Rolex.

im not in the market for a rolex, i am in the market for a music playing, fitness tracking device akin to the Watch.

• Reply 133 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFire1 View Post

As someone who has owned and continues to own virtually every Apple product over the years, the iWatch is the first new device that hasn't given me a ""got to have it now" feeling.  The AppleInsider article may well be painting an accurate picture of the iWatch's upcoming sales, or lack of them.

you're so die hard you've owned virtually every product apple ever made, and yet you don't even know the correct name of this product....hmm

• Reply 134 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It's too easy to say, "I told you so," but:

I told you so.

you told us what? that teens don't have much opinion of expensive devices not aimed that their use cases? 

or that you continue to troll AI out of apparent boredom?

• Reply 135 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ERokthemicright View Post

Starting at 349. What's the top end going to go for? That's what scares me.

why? if you're not in the market for a solid gold watch, what concerns you about its price?

• Reply 136 of 284
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFire1 View Post

As someone who has owned and continues to own virtually every Apple product over the years, the iWatch is the first new device that hasn't given me a ""got to have it now" feeling.  The AppleInsider article may well be painting an accurate picture of the iWatch's upcoming sales, or lack of them.

We'll find out soon enough. 

That is interesting.  I was kind of ho-hum about it (I have not worn a watch in maybe 8 years) but after I saw the Jony Ives video about it, I want one.  I think it will gradually become more interesting as people see what it allows.

• Reply 137 of 284
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

How well does iOS 8 work on the 4S... 

Actually rather well.  I have a 4S with iOS 8 on it.  My son uses it mostly and has no complaints, and I have used it a bunch and it works just fine.  Not as speedy as my iPhone 6 or 6 plus, but I would not expect it to.

• Reply 138 of 284
    How well does iOS 8 work on the 4S... or how about the 4 or the 3GS?

I don't think you can compare any previous Apple device to the ?Watch, whether in future OS compatibility or hardware limitations.... or the possibility to inexpensively upgrade both.
    You can't tell me that 4 years down the road there won't be better processors and better storage capacity that can handle a more complex OS and applications.

Of course their will be better... and SMALLER of everything. However, Apple made a very conscious decision to point out that high res display in a Version 1 device. Our eyesight will not get any better, and if you can't discern pixels now and it's true color from day one... what needs to be upgraded there? Nothing. So the external shell and screen could surely remain the same, but the interior could be replaced... and might I add inexpensively in relation to a ~$4500.- 24-carat gold external shell.

I understand people being convinced to upgrade laptops, tablets, phones... but watches at $350 to thousands of $$$ a pop. I'm not convinced.

The main reason is because EVERYTHING changed on the upgrade cycle, most importantly the screen tech, but also assorted functionality chips. This time were talking about the entire tech fitting in a ~4x4 cm square space a few millimeters high. I don't expect people to be able to do this at home, but if Apple or an authorized repair shop could do it for say $250-350... why not?

Normal watches are far more costly and time intensive to repair, and since Apple wants to barge in on the horologist party... why NOT go all the way and crash it?

Edited to add: Think "Watch Repair" signs being replaced by "Authorized ?Watch Upgrades" signs in the mall and on high street jewelers.
  • Reply 139 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Actually rather well.  I have a 4S with iOS 8 on it.  My son uses it mostly and has no complaints, and I have used it a bunch and it works just fine.  Not as speedy as my iPhone 6 or 6 plus, but I would not expect it to.

Well... I have heard varying rates of success...

... but I noticed you didn't bother telling me how it works on the 4 or the 3GS.

• Reply 140 of 284
    Quote:

Normal watches are far more costly and time intensive to repair, and...

... and last for years and years and years and years.

I have my Grandfather's pocket watch. 90 years old and still ticking. Seriously.