G4Dude's iMac 800 First Impressions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is just a fairly short review with a more detailed one hopefully coming later.

Packaging- WOW!!! It is packaged wonderfulyl. Came with several CD-Rs aand one DVD-R disk. 'nuff said.

Keyboard- The keyboard itself is absolutely wonderful but I had to steal my brother's USB extention cable to get the cord to the iMac. The cord on the keyboard is only 18" long. Terrible design. As for the keyboard itself, coming from an Apple USB keybord, it's quite a big change. However, it is an EXCELLENT keyboard. the keys are no longer translucent.

Mouse- Tried to play Elite Force with it, impossible. I'm going to go buy a Microsoft mouse at Fry's today. Tracking is good though. The one button is way too loud and it woke up my dad last night who is several rooms away!!!

Pro Speakers- I was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of these speakers and for the average person these are more than adequate. Though bass is fairly good, I will be picking up an iSub.

iMac- It really is BEAUTIFUL!!! Apple did a great job with it. It weighs half as much as my StudioDisplay 17. The fan is on all the time though. Coming from a G4 tower it is hardly noticeable (much quieter). But, if you are coming from an old iMac to a new iMac you might be dissapointed since silent operation was a big thing with those. When you put the iMac to sleep, the fan DOES turn off, which is good. On my G4 I used 1280X1024 so 1024X768 is a big difference but I've gotten used to it.

OS X- Some things are faster than OS9, some things are slower. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with this new OS. Window resizing is still pretty slow though. X definately takes a few hours to get used to though. Classic is just a complete bitch to start up though. X immediately recognised my printer. When I went to print something, the drivers were installed. This is VERY convenient.

Altivec Fractal Carbon- This is the only test I've run so far and this iMac achieves 2.7 gigaflops which is way more than my G4 400 which got 1.25 gigaflops. So speedwise this thing IS pretty damn fast.

I am taking requests for other benchmarks and I promise to post a photo gallery. Some people say their desks don't work very well with the new iMac but mine works perfect. So in my pictures you will be able to see the desk y'all need to buy.

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    thanks for the post...pretty much sums up how i feel too...have fun....g
  • Reply 2 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Pics ASAP!!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Pics ASAP!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    It will also be a good iPhoto test. I'll do it today but I'm really busy so it'll be later
  • Reply 5 of 14
    latest photo with smaller dock (but more links on it) and new sunset wallpaper (really need better light in my computer room...everything has a yellowish tone)...g

• Reply 6 of 14
    Fan on all the time? That shouldn't be. Maybe because it's new. The fan is activated only when necessary according to Apple. Perhaps you're hearing the hard drive from time to time? Congrats. When finished playing with it, send it along to me!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Fan on all the time? That shouldn't be. Maybe because it's new. The fan is activated only when necessary according to Apple. Perhaps you're hearing the hard drive from time to time? Congrats. When finished playing with it, send it along to me! </strong><hr></blockquote>

maybe it's always neccessary?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/bponpc/PhotoAlbum2.html"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/bponpc/PhotoAlbum2.html</a>;

Here's the photo gallery it will be updated again today, don't worry!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Reviews and press reports as well as Apple literature say the fan only goes on when necessary so it shouldn't "always" be on methinks. It's activated by the amount of excessive heat generated and even turns at different rpms as needed. Oh well, no big deal. Was at a local Mac reseller today and he has only gotten in about 6 units (plus the demo). He told me Apple has backorders for over 180,000 now. I'll wait until MWNY to get mine when they'll probably be a Rev. B.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    looks good....ok great ....opened to a nice page too....g

ps dust your keyboard shelf
  • Reply 11 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>looks good....ok great ....opened to a nice page too....g

ps dust your keyboard shelf </strong><hr></blockquote>

I didn't notice it was that obvious (the dust). I'll get right on it!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    lucky bastard...
  • Reply 13 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong> &lt;snip&gt;He told me Apple has backorders for over 180,000 now.&lt;/snip&gt;</strong><hr></blockquote>

Eek!! :eek: ordered mine at the beginning of feb, I hope they keep to their 3-5 weeks, its gotta be hard to fill that many orders in the time span given.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Thanks a bunch.