Apple sends out invitations for Oct. 16 iPad event: 'It's been way too long'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 287
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Obviously the one thing that is unambiguously "way too long" is the line outside each Apple store when a new product debuts.

Therefore this is an announcement about closing all the Apple stores.

Or, in a double whammy, since it's been "way too long" since Apple rolled out a flop, they are going to intentionally introduce a dud product.  Introducing the $10,000 iPod Classic 10th Anniversary Edition that comes preloaded with everything that Bono ever said or sang, installed in your pocket personally by a member of U2.*

* No guarantee that it will be Bono or The Edge.  Sorry.  No refunds.

• Reply 102 of 287
    "Way Too Long" since a sub-$2,000 headless Mac that's not a Mac Mini was offered? Yes, I agree!

Bring back the PowerMac!
  • Reply 103 of 287
    mypadmypad Posts: 5member
    "Way too long" refers to the iPad.

Apple have been experimenting with changing size and shape recently and have realised some people want a smaller iPad that isn't shaped like a mini.

Successor to the iPad Air...
    Welcome to the iPad Square...
  • Reply 104 of 287
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

It looks like a finger pressing something so my guess is a new iPod Touch.  The bigger screen sizes would be good in the portable games market.

A butt and a dick...lol, someone pointed it out to me...

• Reply 105 of 287
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why “Plus” when there wouldn’t be a small one?

Guys, it’s obvious. They’re releasing the new Flex Macs.

We all know this is what happens when you stick your Mac Pro in your back pocket.

• Reply 106 of 287
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

No way.

iPod Touch is the past.  No one cares about iPod Touch.  Apple wants to sell phones not iPods.

MacMini, new MacBooks, regular AppleTV are too small sellers.

Its  a new Home Automation Server/TV -

Apple HomeCenter.

What about a bet on Apple HomeCenter? lol

• Reply 107 of 287

Is there likely an another 2014 event besides the oct 16?

Also, the logo looks like pages being pulled from the center of a book.

• Reply 108 of 287
    Quote:

Thats not true at all.

Thats just BS speak by cable companies. Total Crap.  Thats like saying a buffet resturant would have to charge more if people order stuff of the menu.  BS.  Its just the cable company spewing lies so you continue to pay for stuff you dont want or need.

If no one wants particular channels the cable company won't need to support those channels any more.

There are so many total crap channels on cable now that no one wants but is wasting tons of bandwidth space.

There are probably only 50 or so national channels that deserve to be on cable tv. The rest are crap and can be internet channels.

I would pay the same amount as I pay right now if I choose the exact channels I want and leave the rest in the trash can.

If there was such thing as ala carte TV i bet 90% of the people who cut cable will be back

Like Life, Hallmark or E! (Kardashian show...lol)

• Reply 109 of 287
    You know, it's been way too long since the last Apple II update. Apple II forever, remember?

Apple IIgs Mini.
  • Reply 110 of 287
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Uh oh. Consistency fail. Doomed. /s
    Clearly a sign of desperation on Tim Cook's part. It would never have happened on Steve's watch.
    starbird73 wrote: »
    Well, it is Wednesday. And Monday is a holiday, so the Wednesday event makes sense so people don't have to travel on the holiday.
    Those dang time zones keep confusing me. The 16th is a Thursday here, and it's a Wednesday where you are? Must be something to do with Daylight Savings...
    Am I the only one that thinks the Apple Marketing Department is sitting back with Pizza and Beers and watching the press/blog/AI/MacRumor/financialAnalyst -ospheres try to decipher their announcement?

"Wow, that guy's close"

"Mini? Har Har. Will she be disappointed!"

"Newton... who would have even mentioned Newton?"

"Wouldn't they like to know Apple TV will be it's own announcement at CES next year... Talk about breaking precedent!"

"It's an extra 2 days because of the holiday... that's what we mean by too long!"

"This guy says the stocks gonna rise to 145 on the announcement of the 12" iPad... What 12" iPad? Tee Hee?"

"Oh, we gotta tell Tim about this... He said no one would catch the subliminal message the huge logo meaning a 60" iTV set... It's gotta be a leak in our supply chain!"
    I wonder if they play "Apple Rumour Bingo"? Like BuzzWord Bingo, only specifically for rumours around Apple Event announcements.

"Let's see, Apple TV Set, Mac Pro style Mac Mini, Retina MacBook Air, Newton Message Pad update...Bingo!"
    russell w wrote: »
    ImageWriter Air?
    Now this I could get behind. I could use a new line printer.
    miltenb wrote: »
    There will a PPC related mac update ????
    Sadly, I think the only update on the PPC we're likely to hear is "The last PowerBook G4 finally stopped working last night. It died quietly in sleep mode, surrounded by its closest peripherals. It is survived by a line of Intel based MacBooks."
  • Reply 111 of 287
    mypadmypad Posts: 5member
    "Too long", obviously refers to the iPad...

Apple have been experimenting with different sizes and shapes recently and the iPad is just too long for some people. They want to cater for people who want something smaller without losing any screen width.

We've seen the iPad Air...
    Welcome to the iPad Square...
  • Reply 112 of 287
    Quote:

It will be a new product.

Apple HomeCenter

50-70 inch TV that can control your entire home

So in order to use HomeCenter to control your home, you must also pay for 50-70 in Apple TV set because it's bult in? Apple would be so dumb to release something like that. If HomeCenter is ever possible as you wish, it's a stand-alone system. As references, you even agree that a la carte is better than table d'hôte. Why would Apple want to do the latter? What if I already owned 5 TV sets at home but want Apple HomeCenter?

• Reply 113 of 287
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

With the imminent release of Yosemite, this has to be a Mac-centric event.

(Apple doesn't want to have to support new hardware under Mavericks, too.)

Honestly, this is more logical...all about Mac this time...Sorry Sog35, HomeCenter won't happen.

• Reply 114 of 287
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sog35 wrote: »
    It will be a new product.

Apple HomeCenter

50-70 inch TV that can control your entire home

nice thought but no. while that may be something you desire, there's been no smoke on anything like that.
  • Reply 115 of 287
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

You know, it's been way too long since the last Apple II update. Apple II forever, remember?

Apple IIgs Mini.

I loved my Apple IIGS - what an awesome machine overall, with perfect backwards compatibility, best-in-class sound capabilities and, well, a GREAT control panel :D 

Speaking of Apple // forever, what about this?

http://www.apple2online.com/web_documents/open_apple_vol6no05.pdf

• Reply 116 of 287
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

• Nope.

• Nope.

• Eventually, nope, and nope.

• Got it, but they call them channels, and nope.

• I'd like that, and, not unless it contains certain Intel processors, so nope.

• Ridiculous to want to iOS 6 to replace iOS 9 and stupid to even suggest a new iOS for next week.

• Again, ridiculous to want iOS 10.11 to replace next week and for it to be 10.6.

• I'd like some of the features to return as well as a lot more features it's never had, but I don't want the old iWork suite apps to return.

This was an interesting rumor yesterday. 

http://www.cultofmac.com/298932/crazy-rumor-claims-apples-12-inch-ipad-will-run-ios-os-x/

• Reply 117 of 287
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    brlawyer wrote: »

**** iPads, iTV, iWhatever - if this event is NOT about Macs I will finally lose faith in Mr Cook, the world's best COO and nothing else, for good.

This comment is idiotic.
  • Reply 118 of 287
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    atlapple wrote: »

But it's DigiTimes. I don't see a 13" iPad (not sure why they call a 12.9" display 12") having a dual-mode OS, but I do feel that the larger size would lead to having more features that are better for a larger display, like with the iPhone 6 Plus.
  • Reply 119 of 287
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

And... send in the iDrones.

No, that would be a Google product.

• Reply 120 of 287
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Ive got it!  The Apple Watch 2!