Apple sends out invitations for Oct. 16 iPad event: 'It's been way too long'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 287
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Do you wanna bet on it?

If the main product is a living room product ( TV, AppleTV on steroids, ect) then you self ban for 1 week.

If not I self ban for 1 week

Again?  Really?  Again??????  Are you 12????  SHUT UP!

• Reply 122 of 287
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    The tag line suggests atv box and or Mac mini. Revamp of iTunes stores would be nice also. Better prices, 265 support etc
  • Reply 123 of 287
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Do you wanna bet on it?

If the main product is a living room product ( TV, AppleTV on steroids, ect) then you self ban for 1 week.

Let's make it one month and narrow the bet to say that I don't think Apple will be announcing an Apple-branded television set next week.
  • Reply 124 of 287
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

I think it's _ironic_. Well, at least a little - they _did_ have their last big event only about a month ago.

But that said, it may _also_ refer to to an app store for the AppleTV (finally!), or a retina MacBook Air (finally!), or a Mac Mini refresh (finally!)

See what they did there?

• Reply 125 of 287
    It's been way too long since there's been a whole new line of Macs, a new design that replaces the mini. Cook is on record saying he wants to build more machines in the states. Maybe it's finally ready to be announced.
  • Reply 126 of 287
    macxpress wrote: »
    Or Mac mini which hasn't seen a true update in 2yrs. Screw iPods!
    Could be both, but to say it's been 25 months since last iPods, 24 since last Mac mini, maybe there referring a whole list of devices.
  • Reply 127 of 287
    sog35 wrote: »
    One month is too long.
    One week.

Are you confident in your position or not? I'm confident enough there will no Apple-branded TV set that I will risk not enjoy posting here for a full month. I almost made it the rest of the year, the one month is my comprise.
    Apple brand TV or AppleTV on Steroids ( box but significantly more than the current AppleTV)

Terms like "on steroids" and "significantly more" are not specific enough for a bet. I have no idea what you mean by that. I would consider some HomeKit features or an Apple TV "channel" SDK as significant, and that can happen without any new HW.
  • Reply 128 of 287
    Way too Long! The iCar is here!!! Yea.
  • Reply 129 of 287
    jloverjlover Posts: 13member
    It's actually the very top of the the Apple Logo with the bottom cut off plus the bottom of the stem with the top cut off. ;-p
  • Reply 130 of 287
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    iPod Nano
    iPod Nano Plus
    iPod Touch
    iPod Touch Plus
    iPad Mini
    iPad Mini Plus
    iPad Air
    iPad Air Plus
    iPad
    iPad Plus
    MacBook Air
    MacBook Air Plus
    MacBook Pro
    MacBook Pro Plus

Apple TV
    Apple TV Edition
    Apple TV Sport
  • Reply 131 of 287
    makeintosh wrote: »
    Way too Long! The iCar is here!!! Yea.

Apple buys Tesla? LOL
  • Reply 132 of 287

One other thing as regards what I'm using to compare the new Samsung 3D 4K…… in 2005 I put in a home theater based around a Pioneer 62" Plasma flat screen. Back then, the debate was how Plasma compared with the other screen technologies of the time. Today, my Pioneer is more beautiful and true to life that my new Samsung! As some of you know, Pioneer, shortly after I bought mine, sold their screen division/technology to Panasonic. After that move, I don't know how things stand in that particular technological arena. 

• Reply 133 of 287
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

And... send in the iDrones.

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

No, that would be a Google product.

No, I didn't write "gDrones", I wrote "iDrones".

• Reply 134 of 287
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Here's buzz kill. Too long since we had an event on a Thursday.

So, a new iPod Classic for Throwback Thursday?

• Reply 135 of 287
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

To the people guessing it's in reference to a Mac mini update: the Mac mini isn't a big enough product for Apple, to be worthy of that being the meaning. 

It seems like we primarily think of this as being an iPad event, so "way too long..." SINCE WE GAVE YOU A NEW SCREEN SIZE? That seems like a reasonable possibility. The iMac is a big category too, so they might be going retina. That might be a way too long. Way too long since we fiddled the size of the Macbook Air? Maybe that.

Whatever it is, I'm psyched. (but my iPad is my favorite device. I think everyone should have one)

• Reply 136 of 287
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

This comment is idiotic.

Thanks; anything else you'd like to add?

• Reply 137 of 287
    Finally-the return of HyperCard! :D

Obviously you're joking ...

But there is a need to provide a HyperCard-like capability to the mobile devices of this decade!

Consider:

An iPad (any iPad) has more compute power than the original Apple ][, the original IBM/PC or the original Mac.

Yet, the average person cannot make this wonderful device do what he wants it to do!

Sure you can buy some apps -- or if you're a programmer, write some apps ... but what about the rest of us?

Have a look at this:

http://kano.me

And, especially this:

http://recode.net/2014/10/07/kano-lets-kids-build-their-own-computers-and-learn-to-code/

What Kano offers for $149 is:
    • a kit to build a computer -- a Rasberry Pi Linux computer
    • just announced, the ability to use an iPad as a display
    • a high-level programming capability

There are advantages to getting your hands dirty by building the kit!

The use of an iPad for a display removes the biggest negative raised by Walt Mossberg.

But the real killer the high-level programming capability.

They use blocks resembling puzzle pieces to provide abstraction and encapsulation of programming activities (a stack of cards, anyone?).

You program by interactively selecting, connecting and specifying options to the appropriate puzzle pieces.

You can expose the underlying code -- [interpreted] Python in this case.

If you wish, you can modify the underlying code.

This is a very approachable way for the average person to get a computer to do what he wants it to do -- to program it! We aren't interested in all the fine points of UI, performance, etc. -- just getting it to do what we want it to do!

Now, step back a minute ...

The iPad, itself, has more capability, flexibility and power than the whole Kano hardware package.

Hmm ... What if Apple published a creativity * app that provided the abstraction and encapsulation of "puzzle pieces" with a succinct, powerful underlying scripting language ...

* Garage Band, iMovie, Pages ...

Hmm ... What language might that be???

Oh ... What about Swift ...

Oh ... Swift already has interactive capability -- Playgrounds (REPL) ...

Oh ... Swift Playgrounds already have the ability to intermingle narrative, UI, and code constructs ...

I think you could do this all rather nicely on an iPad ...

A BT kb would make the creativity process even better ...

Have doubts ... look at this:

http://www.swiftstub.com

Now, just let your mind wander for a while ... Think of all the wonderful things you could make your iPad do for you ... Your iPhone ... Your Mac ... Your iCloud ...

KaBoom
  • Reply 138 of 287
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Do you wanna bet on it?

Let's do it...1 week from the Keynote Oct 16-23. Make sure it's a Main product, not bells and whistles of the event like updated Apple TV with some more features for HomeKit....HomeCenter means either standalone new category product or a iTV as you predicted earlier to control features as HomeKit.

The bet starts now. 

On the side note, what is the feeling of being banned from AI? I've never experienced it before :).

• Reply 139 of 287
    Quote:

well if you are so convienced you should be willing to back it up.  Just saying.

Don't have to be nice. Be yourself just like before with "clowns" and "idiots": attitude like Gordon Ramsay...lol.

• Reply 140 of 287
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are you confident in your position or not? I'm confident enough there will no Apple-branded TV set that I will risk not enjoy posting here for a full month. I almost made it the rest of the year, the one month is my comprise.

Terms like "on steroids" and "significantly more" are not specific enough for a bet. I have no idea what you mean by that. I would consider some HomeKit features or an Apple TV "channel" SDK as significant, and that can happen without any new HW.

What about super Apple TV like full iOS, Siri integrated, A8x chip, 16GB/64GB storage and HomeKit centralized? Is it considered "significant"? I would say it is.