Apple sends out invitations for Oct. 16 iPad event: 'It's been way too long'

Comments

• Reply 161 of 287
    The iPad has been the same size for over four years. That's way too long.
  • Reply 162 of 287
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Are you being serious?
  • Reply 163 of 287
    sog35 wrote: »
    I meant there were no hardware leaks ( like photos of prototypes) for the mac pro and watch.

Why would you expect there to be when these were announced and demoed long before they went into mass production?
  • Reply 164 of 287
    sog35 wrote: »
    fallenjt wrote: »

Honestly, this is more logical...all about Mac this time...Sorry Sog35, HomeCenter won't happen.

Do you wanna bet on it?

If the main product is a living room product ( TV, AppleTV on steroids, ect) then you self ban for 1 week.
    If not I self ban for 1 week

I trust you're girding your loins in readiness for your self-imposed 1 month ban when the ?Watch sells less than 40 million units next year.
  • Reply 165 of 287
    I trust you're girding your loins in readiness for your self-imposed 1 month ban when the ?Watch sells less than 40 million units next year.

40 million? Is that the new minimal unit sales for first year sales for whether it will be a success or not? That sounds very excessive. What Apple HW product has sold 40 million units in its first year on the market?
  • Reply 166 of 287
    Touchscreen bendable ARM Macs incorporating iOS.
  • Reply 167 of 287
    solipsismx wrote: »

Are you being serious?

You don't think four years is long? I suppose the iPhone stayed the same for five years.
  • Reply 168 of 287

40 million? Is that the new minimal unit sales for first year sales for whether it will be a success or not? That sounds very excessive. What Apple HW product has sold 40 million units in its first year on the market?

That's the figure that sog35 has bet me that Apple will sell in the first year—40 million or more. If they sell fewer than that, he's banning himself for a month.
  • Reply 169 of 287
    You don't think four years is long? I suppose the iPhone stayed the same for five years.

Not at all, and I don't understand why it has to change at all. They added the iPad mini size and there is a rumour of an iPad Pro size. Why does the 9.7" need to get slightly larger or smaller? Where is the benefit to the user?
  • Reply 170 of 287
    "Way too long" ?

Way too long for Mac updates (broad well) - Sounds like they're blaming Intel. I don't think so - its not referring to Macs. Mac Mini, no. I love it but most people could not care less.

Way too long since an iPad update - Sounds like apple apologising for being lazy. Nope.

Way too long we've been calling this a "hobby", yes.

Way too long (50 years) we've had to suffer with a terrible user interface, yes.

Tim Cook: "Its like stepping back in time 50 years, the interface is terrible!"

It obvious to me what is coming...

All the pieces are already in place:

A8 ARM CPU with 4k resolution.
    Metal API for super fast game playing.
    HomeKit API for controlling the home devices.
    Patent on using iPhones and IPads to remotely browse (passive mode) and then play (active mode) video content.
    Owning the company the created the core technology behind Kinect console controllers.

And finally...

A watch with a digital crown that can scroll through contact and channels fast - just lift you hand and point at the screen to play it!

Steve Jobs : "I cracked it. The simplest UI you can imagine for the TV".
  • Reply 171 of 287
    Finally, the diminutive Mac mini is also a candidate for an update, and one recent report claimed that the company could be priming a refresh for this month. However, aside from that lone report, there has been no other concrete evidence suggesting a refresh is imminent.

Sure there is!

"IT'S BEEN WAY TOO LONG!"

Truer words were never spoken!!
  • Reply 172 of 287
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Is there likely an another 2014 event besides the oct 16?

Also, the logo looks like pages being pulled from the center of a book.
    The logo is just the color version of the image from last event. It was also the image projected behind Tim as he unveiled the Apple Watch.

The clue they give mostly indicates a Mac Mini update but Mac Mini will never be in the spotlight. Even if it's redesigned as s mini Mac Pro, it still won't. Remember, the Mac Pro wasn't even the highlight of it's event reveal. So maybe it's Apple TV? No, they wouldn't pass up opportunity to use "hobby" in the clue and that update is coming in the Spring according to all other rumors.

I'm starting to think the clue is really pointing at a Mac product finally adopting ARM processors. It's been a long time since they shifted from PowerPC to Intel. A change to ARM on just the MacBook Air would be huge. That's my guess.
  • Reply 173 of 287
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But it's DigiTimes. I don't see a 13" iPad (not sure why they call a 12.9" display 12") having a dual-mode OS, but I do feel that the larger size would lead to having more features that are better for a larger display, like with the iPhone 6 Plus.

Not sure we ever see a 12.9 inch iPad either. Also not sure how Apple would workout the aspect ratio if someone were able to dual boot. I guess at some point if Apple got to the point where they could use an ARM processor in a MBA that would be interesting to see what kind of dual boot options might be available through third party software or an Apple bootcamp. 

?Honestly at this point with Apple actually coming out with a 5.5" iPhone nothing would shock me.

• Reply 174 of 287
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I meant there were no hardware leaks ( like photos of prototypes) for the mac pro and watch.

Everyone knows apple is working on a tv's

I don't think it would be worth it for Apple to come out with a TV. Building on the Apple TV interface and features would most likely be the best way to go. Making something that can attach to any tv makes more sense. 

• Reply 175 of 287
    atlapple wrote: »

Not sure we ever see <span style="line-height:1.4em;">a 12.9 inch iPad either. Also not sure how Apple would workout the aspect ratio if someone were able to dual boot. I guess at some point if Apple got to the point where they could use an ARM processor in a MBA that would be interesting to see what kind of dual boot options might be available through third party software or an Apple bootcamp. </span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">?Honestly at </span>
    this<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> point with Apple actually coming out with a 5.5" iPhone nothing would shock me.</span>

My guess is a 13" iPad would allow for side-by-side iOS app windows in landscape mode.
  • Reply 176 of 287

Not at all, and I don't understand why it has to change at all. They added the iPad mini size and there is a rumour of an iPad Pro size. Why does the 9.7" need to get slightly larger or smaller? Where is the benefit to the user?

Why did the 15" iMac metamorphose into the 27"? Because people like bigger screens. The iPad affords a whole new level of functionality purely due to its huge size advantage over the iPhone. If Apple bring out a 12.9" screen, that's over 3" more than the current iPad, or about 30% more surface area to work with. Dreamy.
  • Reply 177 of 287
    barthrhbarthrh Posts: 140member

An update to iLife, is definitely in the "way too long category", especially if you include Aperture. This could be the formal rollout of the new photos application with more details on what's to be included. iMovie has seen a recent update but there is a bit of skeuomorphism to get out of Garageband. iTunes may also get a major overhaul, particularly in preparation for integrating Beats streaming.

It seems to me that Apple TV would launch if a very public event, not a small venue get together. We would also have heard a lot more buzz on media deals for content. All that I recall reading lately is that those deals were progressing poorly.

iPods, including the shuffle, could also be possible choices. Since the iPod Nano is in fact "way too long" (I preferred the square format), that would also be appropriate.

• Reply 178 of 287
    Smart playlists for iOS.

It's been way too long.
  • Reply 179 of 287
    A hastily redesigned iPhone with a 4" or 4.3" screen, because the 6 and 6 Plus are "way too long."
  • Reply 180 of 287
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

It's been way to long

iPod refresh. Is it too much to ask for cordless bluetooth headphones...?