Production of Apple's larger iPad reportedly delayed as suppliers focus on iPhone 6

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2014
According to a report on Thursday, Apple's much-rumored 12.9-inch iPad has been delayed due to overwhelming demand for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, meaning the large tablet may not see launch until mid-2015.

Retina iPad mini review

Citing sources within Apple's supply chain, The Wall Street Journal reports that a larger iPad model is in the works, but production will likely be pushed back into 2015.

"The top priority for the supply chain is to meet the overwhelming demand for the larger screen iPhones," the source said. "The output of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus remains unsatisfactory. It would be challenging for display makers to split resources and spend a few months to ramp up production for a new larger screen iPad now."

The publication claims Apple partner suppliers were planning to ramp up for mass manufacturing in December.

Bolstering rumors that massive interest in Apple's new iPhones is to blame for the iPad production holdup, the report goes on to say Foxconn is having trouble meeting iPhone 6 demand. A company official said Chairman Terry Guo is touring factories in Zhengzhou to personally oversee operations.

While the exact sizing of Apple's rumored iPad is unknown, previous reports place the panel at 12.9 inches on the diagonal, a massive increase in screen real estate from the current 9.7-inch iPad Air. In August, whispers from Apple's suppliers pointed to an early 2015 launch for the device, but that estimate could be pushed back into the middle of next year if mass production doesn't start this year.

Apple on Wednesday sent out invitations for a special event set to take place on Oct. 16 at which the company is expected to announce a next-generation iPad Air model and possibly new iMacs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    So they'll announce it next week and say "Coming 2015" or something.

I wonder, if they release it in say, March-April (assuming this article is correct), would they then refresh it in October again? Especially after the outrage that occured when they introduced the fourth-gen iPad six months after the third gen?
  • Reply 2 of 51
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    If this is true it falls in the "good problem to have" category. Congrats on the iPhone 6 apple it's off the hook good. Now make me a new mini damn it
  • Reply 3 of 51
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    More proof a 12.9" iPad is coming. Even a blind man can.....
  • Reply 4 of 51
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Supply constraints rumored right before an Apple event. What a shocker! /s
  • Reply 5 of 51
    cali wrote: »
    Even a blind man can.....

...give the time correctly twice a day?
  • Reply 6 of 51
    cali wrote: »
    More proof a 12.9" iPad is coming. Even a blind man can.....

I'm really curious to know what this device might be like. Is it just the current iPad with a bigger screen? Is the software modified to take advantage of the bigger screen? Does it have pen support like the Surface does? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm really curious to know what this device might be like. Is it just the current iPad with a bigger screen? Is the software modified to take advantage of the bigger screen? Does it have pen support like the Surface does? Inquiring minds want to know.

Steve is gone, so a stylus might be possible.

The good news is that Apple still holds the patents on Newton technology (well, the later ones), and the handwriting/drawing recognition engine from OS 2.1 was ported to OS X at one point, so they could port it to iOS and potentially use it in a larger tablet (yes, the Newton may have been the butt of jokes when it came out, but tests today continue to confirm that the final revision of the software is unparalleled even today; its commonly compared in reviews with the Galaxy Note series).

Much of what MS showed on the Surface Pro 3 is doable on a MessagePad (particularly the shape auto-fix), and Apple would no doubt enhance it significantly. I think a 12.9" device would benefit from a stylus, unless Apple doesn't want to target the graphical artist market at all.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    i think they need to spread product launches out a bit more......
  • Reply 9 of 51
    My guess... This is where the multi tasking in iOS makes its debut.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It's funny to think they can't hire enough people in China, with their massive population. I wonder if it's possible to design future iPhones and iPads to be less labour intensive to make? Or else open factories in India, another 1bn+ country.

• Reply 11 of 51
    Steve is gone, so a stylus might be possible.

The good news is that Apple still holds the patents on Newton technology (well, the later ones), and the handwriting/drawing recognition engine from OS 2.1 was ported to OS X at one point, so they could port it to iOS and potentially use it in a larger tablet (yes, the Newton may have been the butt of jokes when it came out, but tests today continue to confirm that the final revision of the software is unparalleled even today; its commonly compared in reviews with the Galaxy Note series).

Much of what MS showed on the Surface Pro 3 is doable on a MessagePad (particularly the shape auto-fix), and Apple would no doubt enhance it significantly. I think a 12.9" device would benefit from a stylus, unless Apple doesn't want to target the graphical artist market at all.

Interesting side note, Jony Ive was involved in the design of at least one Newton device. And Michael Tchao, who now oversees iPad marketing (you can see him in the iPad mini product intro video) also worked on the Newton back in the day. Not all Sculley ideas were bad. Who knows where Newton would have gone if Steve hasn't killed it.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    ascii wrote: »
    It's funny to think they can't hire enough people in China, with their massive population. I wonder if it's possible to design future iPhones and iPads to be less labour intensive to make? Or else open factories in India, another 1bn+ country.

Hmm...that's what I assumed the 6 was...an easier phone to manufacture than the 5/5s.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    rogifan wrote: »
    Interesting side note, Jony Ive was involved in the design of at least one Newton device. And Michael Tchao, who now oversees iPad marketing (you can see him in the iPad mini product intro video) also worked on the Newton back in the day. Not all Sculley ideas were bad. Who knows where Newton would have gone if Steve hasn't killed it.

Steve did like the eMate though (I love mine). I think he would have continued to pursue the Newton line and improve it, but Apple just did not have the money to take those kind of risks at that point.

Jony designed the MessagePad 110, and the design carried over into the 120 and 130. That design is far more comfortable to hold than the 2x00 series, but far less powerful and capable. Personally, I have a 130, a 2100, and an eMate.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Unannounced product is delayed.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Does anyone know if the force sensitivity on the Apple Watch is working on binary (yes/no) or continuous level? If it measures force continuously they might apply this tech to the big iPad in order to have people use this as a drawing tablet alternative. so instead of carrying your MBA plus Wacom you just carry this iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

If they are delaying a larger iPad due to Retina HD screens being hard to make, and wanting them all for iPhone 6 Pluses, wouldn't they also delay the Retina iMac? Or is it different tech - the Mac is just Retina not Retina HD.

• Reply 17 of 51
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    How would you hold/use an iPad Maxi? Rest it on your forearm?
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If they are delaying a larger iPad due to Retina HD screens being hard to make, and wanting them all for iPhone 6 Pluses, wouldn't they also delay the Retina iMac? Or is it different tech - the Mac is just Retina not Retina HD.

Different tech. iPhones use LTPS, whereas iPads use IGZO. IGZO is cheaper and easier to manufacture than LTPS, but LTPS has even lower power consumption, it makes more sense for an iPhone where battery size is limited.

• Reply 19 of 51

Weren't there some people on this site who swore up and down that having multiple, larger iPhone screen sizes was a dumb idea? The same people who said having a smaller iPad was also a bad idea? Lol.

• Reply 20 of 51
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

Two comments.

1. How can an unannounced and therefore never promised product be delayed? Delayed from what, some date in an internal document?

2. Accepting that it is "delayed" to focus limited resources on iPhone production, this is what we call a good problem.