Philips TVs bundled with Apple TV launch in India as part of alleged partnership [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
Philips on Thursday announced a new lineup of television sets for India that are reportedly bundled with Apple TV set-top boxes in an apparent "partnership" that, if in fact authorized by Apple, would be the first time ever for such a promotion [updated].

Update: As discovered by AppleInsider reader "Digvijay," the announcement appears to be for Philips TVs bundled with Apple TV units. This story has been updated to reflect that.

The alleged new product bundles were revealed on Thursday by The Hindu Business Line, which credited an announcement from PE Electronics, a company that markets the products of Philips and Electrolux in India. The new Philips TV bundles are said to be priced starting at Rs. 29,990, which works out to about $491 U.S.

Aside from the report, AppleInsider could find no sign of an official press release from either Philips or PE Electronics. As such, it's possible that the report could be erroneous or that the bundle is being done without Apple's consent.

However, the publication did include a quote from PE Electronics Chief Executive Neeraj Sethi, who specifically mentioned an "Apple TV partnership." As such, it's possible that Apple may have formed a unique arrangement to gain traction in the Indian market, or perhaps the company is planning to further form alliances with television makers.

"With the new range of Philips Full HD televisions, and the Apple TV partnership, we want consumers to indulge in the smart TV solution in the market, but without getting hassled about complicated set-up options," Sethi was quoted as saying.

Apple TV

The alleged Apple TV partnership comes just a week before Apple is set to hold a media presentation where it is expected to introduce new iPads and potentially a new 27-inch iMac with a high-resolution Retina display. The Apple TV would be an ideal candidate for an upgrade as well, since the device hasn't seen a meaningful refresh since March of 2012.

This week, AppleInsider was first to discover that the latest Apple TV beta release for developers adds support for HomeKit connected accessories. The update apparently allows the $99 streaming set-top box to act as a relay for smart home accessories, such as light bulbs, garage doors or door locks.

Despite the Apple TV being overdue for an update and new functionality apparently coming, recent reports suggested that the device may not be updated until 2015, due to apparent hang-ups with cable companies and content owners. Apple is said to be engaged in negotiations with media companies in an attempt to provide more content on the Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    Wow, this is huge.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    That is one of two ways I want the Apple TV to work.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    hmm, it could be interesting that Apple TV use the CarPlay model: Apple offers the software and hardware, the TV manufacturers do the selling. It would be nice if Apple is the one that does the update push to all non-Apple TV's, unlike Android.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Apple’s only other partnership that I know of with a hardware manufacturer was the Motorola ROKR and we all know how that turned out.

• Reply 5 of 58
    sog35 wrote: »
    Like i said....

Apple HomeCenter here we come.....

Why try to hijack threads? Your posts have become very annoying and are now void of any substance.

hmm, it could be interesting that Apple TV use the CarPlay model: Apple offers the software and hardware, the TV manufacturers do the selling. It would be nice if Apple is the one that does the update push to all non-Apple TV's, unlike Android.

I'd say the Apple TV has been working like CarPlay since the beginning as the SW and UI is sent from the one Apple device to the display. The main difference being that TVs had to do nothing to help allow Apple's UI to piggy back on their displays.

What I'd like to see is Apple actually partner with TV manufacturers with a standardized, open solution that allows an Apple TV unit to placed on the backside of the TV so that it interacts with the TV HW directly thus allowing one to bring up the Apple TV UI from within any input source that is currently active, as well as use the IR sensors, microphone(s), and camera(s) of the TV.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

Sounds bogus.

Apple makes the initial announcement, not their partners.

Plus, to launch a new product in an emerging market like India rather the USA or a major European country makes this rumor sound very sketchy. My guess is that these are not Apple TV-powered devices, and the rumor will be refuted shortly.

Note that major Apple TV challenge is securing rights to the content. Apple prioritizes the USA for digital media content negotiations because that's their home country and also the largest market for digital content.

This has got to be one of the least plausible rumors I've ever read here.

Shame on AppleInsider for publishing garbage like this. This stoops to new lows in Apple rumor mongering.

• Reply 7 of 58
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I highly doubt that Apple would be okay with Philips revealing this and not them. So I won't be shocked if, assuming this is true, suddenly the license disappears and these become a very limited release item. If any actually are allowed to be released at all.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    This story is incorrect, they're just bundling an AppleTV with the television.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    This story is incorrect. They're just bundling an AppleTV with the television.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Wow, well there you go.

• Reply 11 of 58
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member

Note too that Philips no longer sells TV's in the USA.

• Reply 12 of 58
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Sounds bogus.

Plus, to launch a new product in an emerging market like India rather the USA or a major European country makes this rumor sound very sketchy. My guess is that these are not Apple TV-powered devices, and the rumor will be refuted shortly.

Note that major Apple TV challenge is securing rights to the content. Apple prioritizes the USA for digital media content negotiations because that's their home country and also the largest market for digital content.

This has got to be one of the least plausible rumors I've ever read here.

Shame on AppleInsider for publishing garbage like this. This stoops to new lows in Apple rumor mongering.

Actually it may make sense, why it allows apple to play around with this business model in a country with their core business does not exist. If it not liked, it will not be seen as a big failure as if they had done it in a major market like the US.

Content ownership is less an issue in India as it is in the US. China is another good market to try this out, but everything in China is controlled by the government.

• Reply 13 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Any readers here in India who can confirm or refute this?
  • Reply 14 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Actually it may make sense

Making sense doesn't make it so.

But this doesn't even make sense.  More likely, it's some Indian retailer putting together a bundle and making a claim they thought wouldn't be heard outside thier insular world. They probably make such claims all the time about a variety of goods.  Nothing to stop anyone from giving away an AppleTV with microwave ovens, motorcycles, smartwatches, or even Lenovo computers, so long as they can find a buyer interested in the "bundle".  I think this is just a case of mis-translation of what was likely poor English to begin with.

• Reply 15 of 58
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Looks like AI got duped. :D
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Will that cause people to opt for Philips TV?

And will we see them on other TV's
  • Reply 17 of 58
    rogifan wrote: »
    Looks like AI got duped. :D

No worries. With the next event next week and many expecting for a revamp of the Apple TV it still opens up the conversation.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    mpantone wrote: »
    Sounds bogus.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">This has got to be one of the least plausible rumors I've ever read here.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Shame on AppleInsider for publishing garbage like this. This stoops to new lows in Apple rumor mongering.</span>

Or, apropos next week - somebody jumped the gun? And that's happened before...we'll see how long it lasts before a takedown.
    I'm sorta' convinced Apple TV needs to go the gaming route with its own AppStore, to get major traction and this kind of marketing would match up quite well, notwithstanding the fact that Phillips tvs are almost invisible in the marketplace of course so other makers would have to be brought on board.

*Edited for spelling
  • Reply 19 of 58
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Making sense doesn't make it so.

But this doesn't even make sense.  More likely, it's some Indian retailer putting together a bundle and making a claim they thought wouldn't be heard outside thier insular world. They probably make such claims all the time about a variety of goods.  Nothing to stop anyone from giving away an AppleTV with microwave ovens, motorcycles, smartwatches, or even Lenovo computers, so long as they can find a buyer interested in the "bundle".  I think this is just a case of mis-translation of what was likely poor English to begin with.

yeah AI updated, it was bundle deal.

• Reply 20 of 58
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    Why does anyone care that a TV is bundled with a stand alone AppleTV?

If it was integrated AppleTV hardware I'd get it...but that would be a stupid move by Apple.