Apple sends out invitations for Oct. 16 iPad event: 'It's been way too long'

Comments

• Reply 201 of 287
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

The iPod Touch has its days numbered. It's an iPhone without LTE and a too small iPad. The iPad mini has taken its place.

Well, that was before "Continuity".

You could be right if Apple decides not to update or re-imagine the iPod with the latest iPad/iPhone technology. However, Apple's invite stems me hopeful. It has indeed been way too long since Apple updated:

1. the iPod (the touch still has an A5 processor)

2. the mac mini (its design is still based upon the cd drive and it would be an awesome way to celebrate the anniversary of the mac)

3. the cinema display

On a side note: I agree the days of the iPod shuffle and iPod nano are numbered with the arrival of the ? watch. Instead, Apple could launch:

1. a 3.5 inch iPod mini (in multiple colors as the invite suggests?) 

2. a 4.7 inch iPod

3. a 5.5 inch iPad nano

• Reply 202 of 287
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I predict SpaceX becomes the first multi-planetary company in the solar system. ????

And just to add absolutely nothing to the discussion at hand, I will argue with you - how are you sure there isn't a Neptune-based company that also has offices in Saturn?

• Reply 203 of 287
    I predict SpaceX becomes the first multi-planetary company in the solar system. ????

And just to add absolutely nothing to the discussion at hand, I will argue with you - how are you sure there isn't a Neptune-based company that also has offices in Saturn?

And a loo in Uranus?
  • Reply 204 of 287
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Maybe it is a close-up of the Apple 30th logo to refer to Retina. And "too long" refers to the existing pixels (many pixels aren't square but rectangular, so the word "long" does make sense).

• Reply 205 of 287
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Looks like a possible 12.9" iPad has been postponed due to the humongous demand for the iPhone 6 Plus:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/09/12-inch-retina-macbook-production-starts-in-december-12-9-inch-ipad-production-delayed-to-2015/

[quote]
    “The top priority for the supply chain is to meet the overwhelming demand for the larger screen iPhones. The output of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus remains unsatisfactory,” said a person at a supplier. “It would be challenging for display makers to split resources and spend a few months to ramp up production for a new larger screen iPad now.”
    [/quote]
  • Reply 206 of 287
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Looks like a possible 12.9" iPad has been postponed due to the humongous demand for the iPhone 6 Plus:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/09/12-inch-retina-macbook-production-starts-in-december-12-9-inch-ipad-production-delayed-to-2015/

I don't know if I buy that rational of postponing an entirely new size for the iPad because they want to produce more iPhone 6 Pluses. If the event is next week and the Christmas holiday season upon us I'd think they would have had to start production before the iPhone 6 series went on sale to meet demand for this quarter. To me it sounds more like an analyst trying to justify backing out of his previous statement.
  • Reply 207 of 287
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    ^ post

Of course I don't know either, but it may be a valid point. Supposedly Foxconn produces about 200k devices for Apple per day.

http://www.dailytech.com/Foxconns+New+China+Plant+to+Produce+200k+PhonesDay+Mostly+iPhones/article19251.htm

So their 10M iPhones sold in the first weekend took about 50 days to manufacture. With the 5.5" sold out and the 4.7" taking 7-10 days delivery time I presume they pretty much sold out the 'pre announcement batch'. With all the other devices they sell I think a ? 3 month wait for a larger iPad to be manufactured could very well be true. Still, too many variables, too many assumptions. Then again, this is a rumour site lol
  • Reply 208 of 287
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's been way too long since they had a computer just called the Apple Mac.

“Never” is too long, I guess.

They are going to drop the "i" from the new iMac and replace it with an Apple sign. 

With the Macintosh line so close to discontinuation, I dunno.

• Reply 209 of 287
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“Never” is too long, I guess.

With the Macintosh line so close to discontinuation, I dunno.

I think you and ascii stumbled onto the truth:  It's been way too long that we've been making and selling desktop computers.  Today we announce that Yosemite AKA ten point ten will be the last version of Mac OS.  And one more thing, we have just signed the paper to acquire Microsoft and we're shutting down Windows too.  Welcome to the true post-PC era.

• Reply 210 of 287
    malax wrote: »
    I think you and ascii stumbled onto the truth:  It's been way too long that we've been making and selling desktop computers.  Today we announce that Yosemite AKA ten point ten will be the last version of Mac OS.  And one more thing, we have just signed the paper to acquire Microsoft and we're shutting down Windows too.  Welcome to the true post-PC era.

Absolutely not! Apple is the most profitable PC maker on the planet. There is no way they are going to give that up to their competition, remove an essential part of their ecosystem that helps tie in and sell more devices to customers, and tilt the percentage of profits even further into the iPhone camp.
  • Reply 211 of 287
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

It's been way too long that we've been making and selling desktop computers.

The Mac only has a few years left. Desktops will still exist by the time I go to Mars.

• Reply 212 of 287
    The Mac only has a few years left. Desktops will still exist by the time I go to Mars.

If Apple stops making a laptop computers in a few years I'll have to switch to Windows. Why would you wish that on anyone?
  • Reply 213 of 287
    If Apple stops making a laptop computers in a few years I'll have to switch to Windows. Why would you wish that on anyone?

Of course, since a laptop or desktop Mac is needed to create apps, that market continuing to exist is guaranteed. ????
  • Reply 214 of 287
    Based on the graphic and a possible double entendre, I'm going to guess this is about wireless. Possibly wireless charging or wireless specs for various devices... :)
  • Reply 215 of 287
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What’s wrong with a desktop class OS on a 15” tablet?

Speaking of all this, I notice that the new Spotlight really REALLY doesn’t want to tell you WHERE your files are.

And you know what, I’m fine with that. Hiding the file tree from the user is perfectly fine as long as the user is still able to get to all his files when and where he needs  them.

• Reply 216 of 287
    What’s wrong with a desktop class OS on a 15” tablet?

Speaking of all this, I notice that the new Spotlight really REALLY doesn’t want to tell you WHERE your files are.

And you know what, I’m fine with that. Hiding the file tree from the user is perfectly fine as long as the user is still able to get to all his files when and where he needs  them.

So you're saying it's a desktop-class OS from Apple that is not Mac OS X? Why would they simply drop Mac OS X? Why would there be no laptop when it's clearly faster to manipulate large amounts and minute aspects of complex apps with a pointer and keyboard than with a finger? I'm definitely not going to want to sit down to pull a MS Surface solution out to unsteadily use on my lap.
  • Reply 217 of 287
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So you're saying it's a desktop-class OS from Apple that is not Mac OS X? Why would they simply drop Mac OS X?

I’ve just always figured OS XI would be multitouch on the desktop. A multitouch OS designed for desktop scenarios.

Why would there be no laptop when it's clearly faster to manipulate large amounts and minute aspects of complex apps with a pointer and keyboard than with a finger?

Well, now. iOS isn’t suited for the desktop and OS X isn’t for a touchscreen. There’s obviously a different means of UX that will be more efficient than either.

I'm definitely not going to want to sit down to pull a MS Surface solution out to unsteadily use on my lap.

Of course not; has Microsoft ever gotten UX right? :p It’s like the old, “Why would I want to use this mouse thing when I already have a perfectly functional keyboard?” You’d of course have full keyboard control over the OS (insofar as it’s “full” right now; the mouse is required for some things).

• Reply 218 of 287
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

Don't worry, the world will end prior to that.
  • Reply 219 of 287

Things to look for: an expansion of TouchID onto all Apple devices including desktops and laptops. I see TouchID authentication built-in to all Apple products and services.

This will really expand the reach of Apple Pay as well, opening the door for all kinds of enhanced authentication services. Touch to login to Facebook, Twitter, buy something at Amazon or to use PayPal. Basically, it could kill a lot of password management issues.

And this is something that has definitely been a long time coming...

• Reply 220 of 287
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Don't worry, the world will end prior to that.

Just like you were so wrong about Apple getting NFC in their phones.