Skype for Mac 7.0 launches with new mobile-inspired look, 64-bit support, improved chat & file shari

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I must have missed where iChat was written for PCs.

My point exactly.  You only use Microsoft software because you're forced to.

• Reply 22 of 45
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    So you didn’t read his post.

You didn't read the post he responded to.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Well that makes total sense.:no:

It's no surprise you wouldn't understand what a network communication protocol is.

sockrolid wrote: »
    No you don't. In fact, Skype wasn't originally an MS product and Mac OS X users are much more likely to use a higher percentage of Apple-built than Windows users. M
  • Reply 24 of 45
    sockrolid wrote: »

Are you speaking for us Apple Mac OSX users only? You do realize we are still a tiny minority- don't you. You think someone is forcing everyone else to use Windows?
  • Reply 25 of 45
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's no surprise you wouldn't understand what a network communication protocol is.
    No you don't. In fact, Skype wasn't originally an MS product and Mac OS X users are much more likely to use a higher percentage of Apple-built than Windows users. M

Stop spreading FUD and tell us what PC runs iChat.
  • Reply 26 of 45

First tell me why it matters if Apple writes an iChat program for Windows or Linix or Android if the protocols it used to communicate are cross platform.

While your at it please explain to everyone why you think that signing into AIM, ICQ, Google Talk or Y! Talk in iChat (or Adium) means that messages to people using those same protocols in Trillian or Gadu-Gadu on Windows.

PS: Adium, a Mac OS X-only app can connect to MSN Messenger and it's not just other Adium users that communicate with each other.

PPS: I almost forgot about Bonjour.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

Are you speaking for us Apple Mac OSX users only? You do realize we are still a tiny minority- don't you. You think someone is forcing everyone else to use Windows?

I speak of anyone who is forced to use Microsoft software, Windows or otherwise.

If you use Microsoft software out of your own free will, then you're getting what you deserve.

"Windows 7 is like poison to me, seriously... 

what's so great about Windows, come on, 

tell me one thing it does better than Mac OS X."

- Joshua Topolsky, 2011

"Life is too short to use anything but a Mac."

Windows is just not a human environment."

- Roger Ebert, 2001

• Reply 28 of 45
    First tell me why it matters if Apple writes an iChat program for Windows or Linix or Android if the protocols it used to communicate are cross platform.

While your at it please explain to everyone why you think that signing into AIM, ICQ, Google Talk or Y! Talk in iChat (or Adium) means that messages to people using those same protocols in Trillian or Gadu-Gadu on Windows.

PS: Adium, a Mac OS X-only app can connect to MSN Messenger and it's not just other Adium users that communicate with each other.

PPS: I almost forgot about Bonjour.

No first tell me how I communicate using iChat to my PC friend using Skype.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    Skype = N%u0405%u0410-ware. No thanks.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    No first tell me how I communicate using iChat to my PC friend using Skype.

Stop being an idiot for once. Your title as king troll of AI is not in jeopardy so take a day off.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Stop being an idiot for once. Your title as king troll of AI is not in jeopardy so take a day off.

I knew it. Once again the emperor has no clothes.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Skype itself is, in fact, just about the ONLY protocol to which iChat cannot be connected!

Without Skype, there’s not much of any reason to use Messages on OS X.

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I knew it. Once again the emperor has no clothes.

Can you name any others? I’m sure there are a few. You can even hook up your social networking profiles to Messages and use their own services natively.

• Reply 33 of 45
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Because it's cross-platform, unlike iChat, which is OSX-only.

Not if you call from India, it seems:  Skype is hanging up on calls to landlines and mobiles in India

• Reply 34 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can even hook up your social networking profiles to Messages and use their own services natively.

What's this?

• Reply 35 of 45
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Skype being 64 bit seems pointless but I'm no programming expert.

If all apps on a system are 64 bit, dOes that help all efficiency of the system?

If one app isnt 64 bit, can a 32 bit app be run on a different core than the 64 bit apps?

Someone chime in and educate me...

There's a couple reasons, actually.  

1. yes, there is a very slight speed increase. (although, admittedly, many people might not even notice it, especially depending on the application in question).  Also, there's a slight momentary performance hit as the kernel does a context-switch from 64-bit to 32-bit mode (and back) as a 32-bit application calls for attention (again, maybe you might not notice, especially on newer hardware. But it's there).  So, yes, it's overall more efficient if everything is 64-bit.

2.  While Apple says that MacOS supports ASLR (an anti-hacking feature built into most modern operating systems) across the board, it's been proven that 32-bit apps are not nearly as robust as their 64-bit counterparts, and still susceptible to some type of hacks. The Tor privacy browser recently got dinged for this, when their code was scrutinized in a security audit.  Given that Skype is a Internet-facing app, it's definitely a good thing for it to now be 64-bit.

• Reply 36 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

What's this?

Maybe they cut that out, but iChat could connect directly to Facebook’s messager service. You know, the little chat box that pops up? It’d list all your Facebook friends right in iChat’s buddy window. AND THAT’S A RIGHT SIGHT BETTER THAN IMESSAGE, WHICH REFUSES TO DO SO, FORCING YOU TO TYPE THE NAME EVERY TIME.

• Reply 37 of 45
    morrismorris Posts: 25member
    But did it -finally- get IPv6 support!? The lack of it is getting embarrasing as increasingly Skype turns out to be the last corporate application still not to support it.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    morrismorris Posts: 25member
  • Reply 39 of 45
    morris wrote: »

I thought it was Morse, not Morris, for people that talk in dots and dashes. :p
  • Reply 40 of 45
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I use it a lot. Reasons:

- Reach non-Mac users
    - you can Skype from a Skype phone number; people can call you on a Skype number using s regular phone as well.
    - Better to understand how to reach people. With FaceTime it's very hard to reach people because it lists multiple phone numbers, mail addresses etc for each user. You have to guess what element needs to be clicked to establish contact, and even then it's all very untransparent.

However Skype was always a piece of garbage on the user interface design front. Horrible. This new version is actually the first one that makes sense. It really has been improved a lot.