Apple ignores calls to fix 2011 MacBook Pro failures as problem grows

Comments

• Reply 141 of 180
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

The graphics cards in question are probably not standard parts either. They are integrated with Apple's custom graphics switching hardware.

That may be an issue of firmware, but I was mainly pointing out that the problem was in how they're attached to the board. It may have nothing to do with AMD, but Tallest seems to believe that Apple never makes a mistake, even an unforeseeable one. They wouldn't be the first to have problems with lead free solder.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vsdesigner View Post

Hi, I had this problem, and decided to see this video:

Did the process in 40 minutes, and everything is working perfectly, since the problem was with the three weeks, I'm very happy, hope you can help ;)

Vitor

I wouldn't apply thermal paste like that. He uses way too much and it isn't even.  That much thermal paste will cause it to run slightly hotter, which probably isn't the desired result.

• Reply 142 of 180

Hi Folks, I have the same issue and the local authorized tech dealer is asking US$ 1,200 to fix it!!! I have reported a complain at Apple's feedback and also on this petition:

https://www.change.org/p/timothy-d-cook-replace-or-fix-all-2011-macbook-pro-with-

graphics-failure Which has almost 15,000 signatures! please help by going there and sign it! Let's make Apple fix this for all of us!

Regards,

Reynaldo

• Reply 143 of 180

UDPATE!  I just got my MBPro back from Apple repair via an authorized dealer.  Found out my MBPro is a late 2011 model, but failed none the less.  Before sending it in, I tested memory with the OEM sticks and installed a clean Mavericks HDD and the problem remained.  So I installed my 16GB of RAM, left the clean install of Mavericks drive in the unit and took it in to be shipped off to Apple.  When I got it back, Apple had installed 8 GB of "their" RAM and a new logic board all for the tidy sum of $428.88 with tax.  I am asking the dealer to check with Apple for the cost of the RAM as I want to have them send it back to Apple as my 16GB of RAM works just fine.  All is well at this juncture.  Hope it "stays" fixed.

8-) 

• Reply 144 of 180
    Great. 3 year AppleCare just expired and now this hits...
  • Reply 145 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sd-diver View Post

Great. 3 year AppleCare just expired and now this hits...

If it just expired you may want to take it in anyway. They might help you at an Apple Store. They're actually looking at mine right now, so I'm typing on an even older machine. The trackpad was sticking, so I thought it might be a swollen battery. We shall see. I really don't want to buy a new machine right now. Third party repair shops have less leverage in terms of what they can authorize.

• Reply 146 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

If it just expired you may want to take it in anyway. They might help you at an Apple Store. They're actually looking at mine right now, so I'm typing on an even older machine. The trackpad was sticking, so I thought it might be a swollen battery. We shall see. I really don't want to buy a new machine right now. Third party repair shops have less leverage in terms of what they can authorize.

Expired in May - my son's machine.  My '09 13" mbp is going strong, as is my '12 and '13 mbps.  Just sent my daughter off to college with a 2.8/1TB rmbp.  Waiting up until 12:01 to order an iPhone 6 and 6+.  With the money I spend with Apple, I hope that they take care of this...

• Reply 147 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sd-diver View Post

Expired in May - my son's machine.  My '09 13" mbp is going strong, as is my '12 and '13 mbps.  Just sent my daughter off to college with a 2.8/1TB rmbp.  Waiting up until 12:01 to order an iPhone 6 and 6+.  With the money I spend with Apple, I hope that they take care of this...

I would like to know how they handle it. Mine seems to be okay other than the battery, but battery service costs too much. It also takes several days, which is ridiculous. Considering that they never solved the issue of battery swelling, they should have remained user serviceable. The old ones were $129 and could be popped out rather than $179-200 + several days of service time.

• Reply 148 of 180
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Battery problems are very common in Apple products. They should help you in this problem of yours and not charge you this exorbitant fees they have.

• Reply 149 of 180
    Remember that 1984? Well ... here it is. "THAT'S WHY 1984 WAS LIKE 1984 AFTER ALL" - this should be Apple's motto today. What a complete BS. I've been having this issue in my Early 2011 MBP for more than one year now! It is not acceptable for a company that charges premium prices for their products to come with this lame planned obsolescence and show the middle finger to their paying and loyal customers. Either Apple opens a replacement program this year or I am never buyng a f***** rotten Apple again. This is completely outrageous!!!!
  • Reply 150 of 180
    Originally Posted by henser View Post

Blah blah blah, trolling, blah blah blah FUD, blah blah blah lies.

Okay. Bye.

• Reply 151 of 180
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

I had that problem with my MBP 2011 model and they replaced the battery free of charge.No complaints  I have about that type of customer service.

• Reply 152 of 180

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Right.

We know is that it is a pretty common, random, and seemingly widespread issue. Without real numbers though, none of that means anything.

without numbers you can't really say that it's common or widespread. 

• Reply 153 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Reynaldo View Post

Hi Folks, I have the same issue and the local authorized tech dealer is asking US$ 1,200 to fix it!!! 

if it is out of warranty then they don't get reimbursed for the cost of the parts so that price is probably about right. 

Unlike at Apple where they can send it to their depot for perhaps half that amount regardless of how many parts they have to replace. I've had $1000 in parts replaced flat rate for $300 before. It's worth checking out. And if it turns out later that yes this is some serious and widespread issue and they issue a quality program, you will likely be able to get that flat rate back. 

• Reply 154 of 180
  • Reply 155 of 180

Here is the fix. I had the same problem with my MacBook. Finally found a solution and disabled dynamic GPU switching. Here's the doc to get this fixed: http://store.payloadz.com/details/2155710-ebooks-technical-macbook-pro-gpu-crash-fix.html#

• Reply 156 of 180
    The graphics chip itself is not the problem, it's faulty soldering. Just had my early-2011 17" MPR GPU 'reballed' and it now runs great. Runs much cooler again and no video glitching or crashing. At all. And no need to force it to use the built-in graphics chip.
    Apparently they were using a new, untested, lead-free solder at that time - and - they did a sloppy job of applying the thermal paste. So the chip would heat up, slightly melt/then dry the solder. After a few years of this, the connections go bad and the chip 'fails.' Apple wanted to charge me $995 ($600 extra because I had a 3rd party hard drive installed!) to replace the Logic Board. I found a guy online (info upon request) who does a GPU Reball (removal, clean up and re-solder) for $210. Runs like new again.
  • Reply 157 of 180

13" mbp isn't ones that fails.  You need to have i7 and discreet video card (AMD 6xxx series) that will have this problem!

• Reply 158 of 180

Remember that your laptop should last more than 3 years?  Your first laptop cost $ 2500 (my estimation) and the second one is about $ 2500.  Your total outlay is $ 5000, Apple gives you back $ 1100.  The net is $ 3900 and you have ONE laptop.  Be it that it is BRAND NEW.  Since your daughter

Quote:

Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

He went to the store manager - reluctant at first - the manager looked at the history of the repairs - then finally concluded she'd refund the purchase price - so they got $1100 back on a three year old laptop.

She right away used that money to buy a brand new MacPro and paid the price difference... Then the manager said she'd give her free Apple care for 3 years to make up the cash difference she had to pay out of pocket..

Ok - I agree it's a bit obvious there is something grossly wrong with some of those Macs... Should a replacement program be offered ? Maybe. Why? Depends on the reasons.

But.... Name one other company that would completely refund your money THREE YEARS later...

While Apple is not perfect in every possible way let's face it - for some of us - they have come thru in the end - bottom line.

I don't think you will say that if you have a 2007-08 or 2011 with a discreet graphics card.  This is now middle of October and they still won't admit it!

• Reply 159 of 180

Dude, buying a new car with 50000 warranty and then it fails right after the warranty is "YOUR PROBLEM"?  These are not small problem!  If you have a car, it is equal to the tranny breaking.  It will now cost you $ 500-800 to fix it, which is a good fraction of the cost of your computer.  Plus the ALL of the Macbook in the same series as yours are breaking in the exactly the same way.  And for the kicker, the fix isn't permanent, the design/manufacture of these MBP or the video card manufacturer is the problem.  Frankly, I don't really care at this stage who is at fault.  I just want a working laptop.  I suspect it has more to do with the mbp's design of no fan under the laptop and very weak fan is the problem.  The two largest manufacturer of video card in world has almost identical problem with 2 different generations of MBP says something Apple's design philosophy. 

• Reply 160 of 180

My MBP just suffered the same fate. It is currently at the local Apple store for evaluation. Not hopeful after reading these comments.