NFL fines 49ers quarterback $10,000 for wearing Beats headphones during press conference

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    This looks like a #backfire waiting to happen for the NFL.  If it had been just the Beats headphones, maybe not so much, but NFL may take heat for the fact that he was doing it to support a worthy cause - makes NFL look like they are uncaring (even though the tweet indicating that they were worn to show support for cancer awareness came after the fine).

Trust me, he wasn't wearing beats to be supportive. He could've had on a pink shirt. He had beats headphones because he's sponsored. Don't think otherwise.

That said- $10k? What a deal for that advertisement!
  • Reply 22 of 63
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

It's a win-win situation for the NCL (National Concussion League).

Kaepernick should claim innocence due to frequent hits he's taken for the League's benefit.

• Reply 23 of 63
    Why would beats "cover the fine"? They didn't ask him to promote the headphones at the press conference. It sounds like a choice he made for the breast cancer awareness thing.

But yes, the story does highlight the highly commercial nature of professional sports.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    And that’s psychotic. Screw it. Just start up the XFL again to compete.

Ya! Where is "he hate me" playing now? :lol:
  • Reply 25 of 63
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    So the NFL can't figure out how to deal with, or just plain deal with domestic abuse, but just wear the wrong brand headphones and you will feel the wrath of the commissioner. The NFL is run by a bunch of sociopaths.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Ya! Where is "he hate me" playing now? image

Remember Slamball? We need Slamfootball. Trampolines randomly on the field to jump over defenders or whatever.

Or, since football is less jumping and more running, those moving sidewalks like at airports! They randomly change direction, so you have to know when to get on and when to get off.

• Reply 27 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Every single player should wear Beats headphones in public. What are they going to do, fine everyone? That would be a PR nightmare for Bose, and the NFL, and massively positive PR for Apple/Beats.

Great idea.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He’d be fined if he had been naked for not wearing Adidas™ shoes, Nike® pants, a Reebok© shirt, and Revlon† hair product… Screw ‘em all. Don’t pay the fine.

Actually I like this idea. Imagine the coverage Beats would get if he didn't pay the fine and it ended up in court. How the hell would the NFL deal with this from a public relations point of view? Are they going to suspend one of their top tier athletes for not paying a fine? Should they take him to court for wearing unapproved headphones dedicated to breast cancer awareness? This is a no-win situation for the NFL and I love it! Colin should take this all the way to the end so the NFL look like the idiots they are.

• Reply 29 of 63
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Goes to prove you can be richer than hell and not have an iota of taste or class.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Every single player should wear Beats headphones in public. What are they going to do, fine everyone? That would be a PR nightmare for Bose, and the NFL, and massively positive PR for Apple/Beats.

Why- because Apple owns Beats now? :no:
  • Reply 31 of 63

Actually I like this idea. Imagine the coverage Beats would get if he didn't pay the fine and it ended up in court. How the hell would the NFL deal with this from a public relations point of view? Are they going to suspend one of their top tier athletes for not paying a fine? Should they take him to court for wearing unapproved headphones dedicated to breast cancer awareness? This is a no-win situation for the NFL and I love it! Colin should take this all the way to the end so the NFL look like the idiots they are.

I'm guessing they'd just deduct it from his game check. I'm positive they have a way around it. And if he fought it they could suspend him a game. The NFL doesn't need Colin K- if they can live without Adrian Peterson, they can make it without that overrated qb. Say he sat the whole year suspended because he refused to pay a fine- losing all his paychecks, damaging his team, etc. And you think the NFL would look like idiots? :no:
  • Reply 32 of 63
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    It cost Julius Thomas $1732 less to throw an intentional chop block that could have ended Calais Campbell's career.
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The NFL is a monopoly that should be broken up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_antitrust_law

Professional sports leagues are exempt from antitrust laws. It's not just the NFL.

An exemption that needs to be repealed. And there is growing support to do just that.
    techlover wrote: »
    I feel bad for these millionaire athletes.  

Made by beats or made by bose, either way for a few hours a week they are forced to wear horrendous headphones.

He wore pink Beats to honor his grandmother who is a breast cancer survivor. You know, the whole "wear pink in October" thing the NFL pushes to make their brand more acceptable to women? Except where an exclusive marketing deal gets in the way...
  • Reply 33 of 63
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Goes to prove you can be richer than hell and not have an iota of taste or class.

Boy, you are a sad, sad little man—aren't you, Teckstud?
  • Reply 34 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Professional sports leagues are exempt from antitrust laws. It's not just the NFL.

Yes, and that is an extraordinary corruption of the law by our "lawmakers".
  • Reply 35 of 63
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    No matter how this is twisted it is just plain lame that a league can determine what headphones its players are allowed to wear. And it's equally lame that very rich sports people at the peak of their careers allow themselves to be controlled like that.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Yes, and that is an extraordinary corruption of the law by our "lawmakers".

Naivete yes, corruption is kind of strong. The exemption is over 100 years old when lawmakers determined that sports, and especially baseball is merely an amusement, not a commercial enterprise.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Why- because Apple owns Beats now? :no:

[@]Slurpy[/@] didn't say that. You just did. You are disapproving of your own remark. :lol:
  • Reply 38 of 63
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Naivete yes, corruption is kind of strong. The exemption is over 100 years old when lawmakers determined that sports, and especially baseball is merely an amusement, not a commercial enterprise.
    Clearly an organization such as the NFL that can sign exclusive league-wide endorsement deals such as the Bose or Microsoft Surface contracts have long since evolved into a solely commercial enterprises.

Ironically it's their blackout policy that will wind up getting the exemption pulled, but AFAIC, a win is a win.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    techlover wrote: »
    I feel bad for these millionaire athletes.  

Made by beats or made by bose, either way for a few hours a week they are forced to wear horrendous headphones.

Well, aren't we superior!
  • Reply 40 of 63
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

However, with the news cycle this will generate, and the number of times the words "Colin Kaepernick" and "Beats Headphones" will be said in the same sentence during those news reports, it will be well worth Apple paying the fine every time a star player does this.  $10k for the amount of air time this will generate is spectacularly cheap advertising.

Hmmm...
    Jerk monopolists and Bose vs Popular athlete with a big youth fan base and Beats.
    Wonder which brand won this round of the advertising war?